Hitting The Ring For The First Time

angelsophie

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I was learning to stack a breed a wise old handler gave me the best advice!! :shhh:

Get a mirror on the floor and stack your dog so you can see what both yourself and your dog looks like !!!

Great if you have a full length mirror if not do it in the glass doors outside, you see so much..... :bolt:

Good Luck to all who are showing this W/E let us all know how you go!!

This is my last W/E off, I have not shown all winter and it has been wonderful, but time to stop slacking and get back out there :crossfingers:

Mandalay,

I tried this....first with the glass sliding door he chased the other dog (his reflection) and went head first into it :thumbsup: Then the mirror same thing he wanted to play with the other puupy :wave: He is getting better about reflections now though :mad

two more sleeps now..........

Im pretty lucky my boy walks into his stack... You are doing a great job!!!!

I been showing for 2 years now and i still get butterflys in my belly!

I have a show coming up next weekend after not showing for a couple of months and im getting butterflys already lol

Just remeber dogs can sense you are nervous too so try and hide it!!!!

Best of luck!

Edited by TeamSnag

Poocow did you show today or tomorrow?

I show tomorrow. Morgan is bathed and just have to neaten up her feet a bit later.

Morgie will free stand for me just doesn't like holding a stack in the line up - too many other pups to play with.

glad I am not the only one :love:

You will do great.

You both will!

I can't make it tomorrow to cheer you on, Leo is sick-well a bit "off" and has had a few vomits.. I don't know what's up so am going to see how he shapes up over night, and see whether I need to take him to the vets tomorrow, and i'm sick too- kinda funny in a weird way.

But have fun and goodluck!

Will be thinking of ya's and wanna hear the results as soon as ya's get home!

YAY! It's done! And now i feel great! Haha... what a rush :(

He was *such* a good boy! All that practice really paid off and he pretty much trotted around the ring happily as he does at home.... just a couple of bursts of excitement at the start, but for the most part he was just wonderful! Not to mention me... haha.. i don't *think* i did anything too stupid - falling over, going the wrong way etc, which is absoloutely what i decided would happen at my first show.

So i forgot that there was also a Samoyed Club member's comp in the morning which was a really great little practice without so much pressure...

Fletcher was the only Minor Puppy Dog and there was just one gorgeous Minor Puppy Bitch... He got Best Minor Puppy! Yay! :)

But then in the actual Utility Dog Club show she beat him... So i was happy anyway, that made it even! :)

I had a wonderful day, learnt so much, feeling much better about it all and just soo happy that this 'first time' is over and done with. I hope other newbies had great fun too!!

Edit: oh and i forgot my camera cos i was concentrating on continuing to breathe in the morning (my stomach was fluttering sooo bad!) So i got Kate to take some photos for me (they own/bred Fletcher's sire) should be getting an email with them soon and i'll share asap!

Edited by Bindii

YAY! It's done! And now i feel great! Haha... what a rush :rofl:

He was *such* a good boy! All that practice really paid off and he pretty much trotted around the ring happily as he does at home.... just a couple of bursts of excitement at the start, but for the most part he was just wonderful! Not to mention me... haha.. i don't *think* i did anything too stupid - falling over, going the wrong way etc, which is absoloutely what i decided would happen at my first show.

So i forgot that there was also a Samoyed Club member's comp in the morning which was a really great little practice without so much pressure...

Fletcher was the only Minor Puppy Dog and there was just one gorgeous Minor Puppy Bitch... He got Best Minor Puppy! Yay! :)

But then in the actual Utility Dog Club show she beat him... So i was happy anyway, that made it even! :(

I had a wonderful day, learnt so much, feeling much better about it all and just soo happy that this 'first time' is over and done with. I hope other newbies had great fun too!!

Edit: oh and i forgot my camera cos i was concentrating on continuing to breathe in the morning (my stomach was fluttering sooo bad!) So i got Kate to take some photos for me (they own Fletcher's sire) should be getting an email with them soon and i'll share asap!

\

YAY well done to fletcher!!

I am not long back and am very glad first show is in the bag.

We got baby puppy of breed - but we were the only ones showing in baby puppy Havanese lol

It was freaking hillarious....all the time I was thinking we would mess up, I even asked so whats the protocol if he poops in the ring....well glad I did as what would you know 2 meters in he did just that :) The judge was awesome and had a giggle with me. He was very reassuring and told me it was Toby's job to be naughty and embarrass me as he is still a baby. Thank goodness for great judges and stewards :) . We had to wait to go in for baby in group. Toby was very overwhelmed and I decided to stand with him as he would have tried to get me to pick him up if I got on the ground to stack well we need to practice more. The LITTLE SHITE has free stacked on the ground since and not 2 mins out of the ring - but it means theres hope. We had a ball and I picked up alot. The lovely Jo (havasneeze was awesome in showing me the ropes!!!) Kids had a great day "dog show camping". But we got a go "in group" which was great experience, Toby and the boy skinkid are sound asleep.

How long till the next one bindii?? we have 3 weeks.

Bec

YAY well done to fletcher!!

I am not long back and am very glad first show is in the bag.

We got baby puppy of breed - but we were the only ones showing in baby puppy Havanese lol

It was freaking hillarious....all the time I was thinking we would mess up, I even asked so whats the protocol if he poops in the ring....well glad I did as what would you know 2 meters in he did just that :) The judge was awesome and had a giggle with me. He was very reassuring and told me it was Toby's job to be naughty and embarrass me as he is still a baby. Thank goodness for great judges and stewards :) . We had to wait to go in for baby in group. Toby was very overwhelmed and I decided to stand with him as he would have tried to get me to pick him up if I got on the ground to stack well we need to practice more. The LITTLE SHITE has free stacked on the ground since and not 2 mins out of the ring - but it means theres hope. We had a ball and I picked up alot. The lovely Jo (havasneeze was awesome in showing me the ropes!!!) Kids had a great day "dog show camping". But we got a go "in group" which was great experience, Toby and the boy skinkid are sound asleep.

How long till the next one bindii?? we have 3 weeks.

Bec

Omg that's sooo cute about the poo!! I didn't even think of that, he must have heard you ask!!! :(

So good that the judge and steward were really friendly. Awesome that he's stacking for you nicely now... it's cos he was first, he probably just need to see how the others did it hehe!

Next show is on the 8th of August - 2 weeks!

YAY BEC! WE DID IT - IT'S OVER!

:)

Edited by Bindii

:( yeh the judge laughed and said "bet he walks better now" lol. He really did make me feel so much better and was very forgiving of Tobys enthusiasm to lick his face commenting it was a sign of a great temperament. We had a ball and are looking forward to the next one :) Toby did want to sniff the ring ALOT so hoping he gets over that too.

Now to find out how morgan went!!

Did you do sweepies? we are gonna try that next :) Give Tobes some practice with more dogs. He loved the other Hav showing but we tried to practice following him around the ring and he went flat out trying to get him to play!

Morgan won Baby Puppy of Breed by default.

Went in for the group line up and she was solid as a rock - stacked perfectly and everyone commented how well she looked after we got out. Sammy B can attest to it that the Wei pup literally took two steps into the ring and was awarded the sash. Thems the breaks of showing a rare breed.

we are gonna try that next :happydance: Give Tobes some practice with more dogs. He loved the other Hav showing but we tried to practice following him around the ring and he went flat out trying to get him to play!

You need to pull him up on this, be firm. Helps if you get there nice and early and get other people to go in the ring with their dogs for some practice runs with you. The judges will certainly let them get away with a fair bit being babies, but a few months down the track he will need to be behaving much better, and he probably will if you can teach him the difference between showing time and playing time now :thumbsup:

Sammy B can attest to it that the Wei pup literally took two steps into the ring and was awarded the sash. Thems the breaks of showing a rare breed.

That often happens with group. The judge would have decided that they loved the dog the minute they saw it in breed judging. Nothing to do with anyone having rare breed, though you will certainly find it very difficult to guage how good your pup really is with no breed competition.

Congrats to Morgan!!

I guess that's all well and good that it's acceptable that the judge had decided already, but it would have been good for an extra bit of practice :happydance:

Here are those photos :thumbsup:

GetAttachment-1.jpg

GetAttachment-3.jpg

GetAttachment-2.jpg

GetAttachment-4.jpg

GetAttachment.jpg

Edited by Bindii

Morgan won Baby Puppy of Breed by default.

Went in for the group line up and she was solid as a rock - stacked perfectly and everyone commented how well she looked after we got out. Sammy B can attest to it that the Wei pup literally took two steps into the ring and was awarded the sash. Thems the breaks of showing a rare breed.

Yep, was the same the day before the judge hadnt even let mum and the guy with the wei get their dogs stacked and had given group to the toller pup, sorta sucked but personally I think as far as baby puppy goes it was a quality line up both days.

Kite also won by default BUT she worked her buns off both days and ran and stacked great, little bit more fine tuning and I think/hope she will be in the winners circle.