8 Week Old Beagle Puppy - Toilet Training Help!

rocky_beagle

Hi everyone,

my husband and I picked up our beagle puppy rocky on saturday. we both took a few days off work so we could get him settled which has worked well so far, he is just adorable - we will post some photos soon.

he had his first vet appointment this morning and everything is fine :) we are in the process of switching him from weetbix & pedigree food (breeder had him on) to hills science diet for puppies - does anyone else use this? he is enjoying it so much more than his old food. The vet said to mix some of the new food with the old food to avoid an upset tummy, but he picked out and ate all the new food and left the old food behind.

He has taken to toilet training really really well... not a single accident inside! so we are very proud of him. We had been taking him out every 1.5hrs to get him used to going outside. We have set up a playpen inside the house where he has his food/drinking mat, play area, sleep area and eventual eliminating area for during the day. But he also has a bed/blanket in the lounge for when he is with us. Because we both work full time 4 days per week (I can come home for lunch) we initially planned to have a 'turf' type toilet inside for during the day, then we saw the way he got into the grass outside we thought that he would just make a mess of himself - so we decided to try some puppy mats with the drops instead. Tonight we tried these and he was not at all interested, he knows that when he needs to go - it is outside... and he got quite upset about it.

We feel like we did a bad thing by training him to eliminate outside and now because we are asking him to use puppy mats inside, it is going backwards. But on the other hand, he will be mainly an indoor dog so we thought - he needs to know to go outside...

So now we are a bit confused (as i am sure he is) and need to figure out what to do.... :laugh: Anyone here had a similar situation?

Thanks

Nat

Build him a secure run outdoors ?- doggy door?

Him wanting to eliminate outside is something most puppy owners would DIE for!!

Ditch the pads and get a decent turf dog loo if you must.. his body is triggered by the feel/smell of grass to toilet... and I fear if you don't provide this indoors, he will seek out carpet or bedding to use :laugh:

if you can- keep him toileting outdoors!!

Hey, congrates on your new beagles (photos please :laugh:)

Yeah, I use Science Diet dog food... it's the only dry food my pup will eat (and trust me, I've been through other few brands to find the one he likes!).

I would encourage to keep training him outside too :o That's so good that he learned that such a young age, there are people out there who are having problem housetraining their pup!

Can you get a doggy door for him or leave the door open for him?

We always leave the back sliding door for Charlie so he can go outside to do his business.

Keep training him to go outside, if you're able to go home at lunchtime it won't be long before he's able to hold on for four or five hours. I would never train a dog to soil inside unless there was absolutely no alternative. I assume that you're going to allow him access to the outside during the day when he's older otherwise he's going to get very bored locked inside all day.

I agree with Persephone - people would love a pup that wants to go to the toilet only outside! What a blessing and a good pup!

I suggest like the others that you start as you mean to finish - if you want him eventually to only toilet outside, then I would start with only wanting him to toilet outside, so that you don't confuse him.

Keep in mind too that Beagles are a decent sized dog that can toilet a decent amount, and think about whether you want that inside ever.

Dont feed Hills here & you couldnt pay to.

Like others have said a clean dog especially a Beagle is a blessing.Beagles can be dirty dogs.

Our pups leave at 8 weeks plus doggy door trained & we highly recommend all our owners install a door before pup comes home so it continues with the toilet training method.

Your beagle will go nuts being inside & may become destructive .(the airport beagle brigade are handed in pets ).

What is your plan for the future.Inside/outside,doggy door/no doggy door/bark to out/sit at door to go out??

What vere your plan is you start now

hi everyone, thanks for all the helpful comments :laugh:

Because he is still a puppy, when we go outside he loves to explore. We have a large yard, but he still needs to be supervised at this stage. So for the moment a doggy door would not work during the day, he is inside his play pen which he would not be able to get out of.

Once he is around 5 months we will be leaving him outside during the day when we are working, we are lucky to have an area on the side of our house approx 2.5m wide x 15m deep which is fenced off so it will be nice and secure for when he is bigger, but he will still spend nights and time when we are home inside. At the moment it is very cold and i cant leave him outside, when we go to 'toilet' outside he shakes like a leaf!

We just read a few other posts and made a cheaper pet loo with fake turf which we rubbed allover the dirt outside to get him sniffing. So we have put it inside his play pen and will see how he goes with that... but this is just very temporary until he can hold long enough for me to get home at lunch to take him out.

Still lots to think about. Will keep training him to go outside when we are home, and only put the turf loo in the play pen when we go to work.

He is a very good puppy and took really quickly to toilet training so we are very lucky :D will see what happens now.

Also on hills science diet, he is really loving it. I didn't bother mixing in his old food for lunch as he keeps pushing it to the side, but he ate all his new food which is a first!

Congrats on the new pup! Our Beagle is almost 10 weeks now. Shes great! She comes, sits, liesdown, stays (sometimes) and we are working on play dead and roll over. She stands by the door and crys when she needs to go outside for a wee. But we leave the sliding door open a tiny bit so she can come in and out as she wants. She pretty much holds on all night now 2!! It is very cold here aswell and she shakes (as you put it) like a leaf! I feel bad but she seems pretty happy still.

Good luck with the toilet training. Would love some photos!

Ben

ok here are some photos of our little guy :o

he just barked at the kong chew toy!!! he had not barked until then, i think he is a little scared of it.

we put his collar on today, he was itching at it for a bit and when we added the leash he kept trying to do backflips and bite at it! with the use of some treats and distractions he got the hang of it within a few minutes. because he has been running off into the garden when we take him out, the last few times we have put the leash on to get him used to it more - this seems to be working well.

A couple of these photos are when he was 6 weeks old at the breeders, the rest are at my place and some at my parents place.

Nat

P.S

I am just going to split my lunch break up and pop through home a few times a day to let him out. He ripped the turf loo apart and there is no chance he is going to go on any fake loo inside. Once he is a little older we can enclose an area outside and do the doggy door.

Enjoy the pics!

post-30125-1247572823_thumb.jpg post-30125-1247572830_thumb.jpg post-30125-1247572835_thumb.jpg post-30125-1247572840_thumb.jpg post-30125-1247572848_thumb.jpg post-30125-1247572855_thumb.jpg post-30125-1247572863_thumb.jpg

Awww beagle pup photos! :o

I think you're better off putting your puppy outdoors during the day. You'll find that he'll be extremely bored indoors especially if he's enclosed in such a small play pen. Beagles can be very destructive, especially as puppies when they're bored - he'll rip up all his toys and bedding that's in his pen, and wouldn't be surprised if he tried to eat the actually pen too to escape. You might also find that he'll start to bark and howl which can be pretty distressing for him and might upset the neighbours too.

Hello,

checking in on him every 3 hours, he has been good so far, no accidents. Each time i get home i take him straight out - he does his business and then we play for a bit.

Last night only had to get up twice, that was a nice change :laugh:

We wore him out this morning gave him a good 1.5hrs of running around the backyard! I think it has worked. I just left him again and he was sound asleep.

Will be home again in a couple of hours, so looking forward to not having to leave him again today. I gave him some new toys this morning and he has taken to them well :laugh:

hi, i have a 16 week beagle puppy, and she had her first all night without getting me up to take her to the toilet - FINALLY :)

I had a similar situation when we brought our puppy home, but we purchased a puppy pen, and doggie door, she can go out when she wants, and can come inside when she wants to sleep, it has worked well for us

good luck with what ever you decide

Pam

ok here are some photos of our little guy :laugh:

he just barked at the kong chew toy!!! he had not barked until then, i think he is a little scared of it.

we put his collar on today, he was itching at it for a bit and when we added the leash he kept trying to do backflips and bite at it! with the use of some treats and distractions he got the hang of it within a few minutes. because he has been running off into the garden when we take him out, the last few times we have put the leash on to get him used to it more - this seems to be working well.

A couple of these photos are when he was 6 weeks old at the breeders, the rest are at my place and some at my parents place.

Nat

P.S

I am just going to split my lunch break up and pop through home a few times a day to let him out. He ripped the turf loo apart and there is no chance he is going to go on any fake loo inside. Once he is a little older we can enclose an area outside and do the doggy door.

Enjoy the pics!

post-30125-1247572823_thumb.jpg post-30125-1247572830_thumb.jpg post-30125-1247572835_thumb.jpg post-30125-1247572840_thumb.jpg post-30125-1247572848_thumb.jpg post-30125-1247572855_thumb.jpg post-30125-1247572863_thumb.jpg

*GASP* Look at that cutie pie!!!!

Oh I remember when Artimus was that little! and placid! Enjoy these days - beagle puppies are just adorable.

Artimus was fairly well toilet trained until she hit 12 weeks and how its well out the window. We have no idea how to get her to indicate to us when she needs to go outside. I can preempt it sometimes (eg. after play, naps, etc) but needed to go just because... well... she needs to go, I've got no way of knowing except seeing her sniff - but really, she's a beagle and always sniffing...

Any suggestions since you guys have your babies well trained at 10 weeks? I would love any advice bc its not Artimus' fault, its mine... :laugh:

Haha A full nights sleep is great isnt it! Baileys just under 11weeks now and we go all night without waking up! I do take her out in the morining before i leave for work which is about 5-6am, And she usually stands by the door when she needs to go. we do still have the odd accident but that happens. Biggest prob for her is the biting!! But she is pretty much cured in that dept so we can really get onto some training. I just leave our sliding door open a tiny bit and she just wanders out when she needs to go. I ususally follow her out and when she begins to go i say "go pee" just to keep on enforcing that command!

How is rocky going?

Hi Everyone,

Rocky is going well :shhh: he is so funny and getting a little cheeky but in cute puppy way

He has met lots of people/family and friends with toddlers etc and he has been really good... still a little anxious about him meeting other dogs.

Artimus'mama - With toilet training rocky, we have just tried to keep it consistent. I am not saying the way i did it is the only way, but it's what has worked for us. I am a first time dog owner, so I did lots of reading about different ways and just tailored it to suit rocky.

The first week we took him every 1.5hrs even through the night. This was to get him used to going outside, so we never really gave him the chance to go inside. We give him a few minutes and if he doesn't go we take him back in and try again 1/2hr after that. When he does go outside we just praise praise praise him!!! It used to be funny at 4am i would hear hubby out the back saying well done rocky over and over hehe :happydance:

Now at 10 weeks when we are home it's around every 3hrs. We just take him out and say toilet. If he wants to go sooner he just whimpers or comes to us and runs to the back door but that has only happened twice.

He sleeps from midnight (we got to bed late!) until 6:30am which is wonderful! he has been doing this the last 3 nights.

We have put a little bell hanging near the door, before we go out we show him the bell and shake it and say toilet, hoping that eventually he will just hit the bell if he needs to go... wishful thinking perhaps but everything we have tried has worked so far... fingers crossed!

Because he wouldn't go on the indoor loo we tried to make him, and work has become very busy - i can only go home once during the day (lunch) so we have made a few changes.

We have now properly secured our large area on the side of the house and made him a big kennel filled with his toys and blankets and bed - as a test we just put him down the side of the house to see what would happen, he LOVES it - running up and down, playing, having a good sniff :happydance: and he loves his kennel

This is only for while we are at work, and not on bad weather days but it means that he does not have to bust him self trying to hold on until i get home... last week he was waiting every 4hrs he is so much happier now.

How is bailey going? I know what you mean about the biting! it was getting a bit much on the weekend so for a couple of days we would play but as soon as the biting started we would say a firm NO, give him a chew toy and walk away. He seems to be better with it the last couple of days... but i'm sure it's nowhere near over yet!

Hope everyone else is going well, and puppies are all good :happydance: sorry for the long post I just had lots to blab...

nat