Canned Foods

Whenever possible I feed whole, raw food to dogs. When they won't eat raw, they generally get a good quality dog polony roll. However, I get the occasional dog in kennels that was raised on canned food and will eat nothing else. The little guys generally go for My Dog. Ok, they don't eat much, so I can live with the price tag. In feeding the bigger dogs, MyDog is too expensive, and it comes down to Pal vs Chum, vs Bush or store brand or something else.

I HATE canned food and tend to class it all as rubbish . . . which makes me tend to go for Chum over Pal because it's 20% cheaper. The dogs don't seem to care and I don't mind using a can opener instead of getting peel off lids.

Is there any basis for deciding which is the least bad of the canned foods.

I guess it would come down to reading the ingrediants.

I've used Eagle Pack canned foods to flavour kibble of a puppy before.

I haven't used supermarket canned foods in many years, the last time I purchased any was Natures Gift which does smell pretty good.

Natures Gift is about the only tinned food I would buy. I don't even like the Eagle Pack tins.

Natures Gift has no preservatives or colourings and is a high meat content. All Australian produce.

I've used Nature's Gift before when flavouring kibble - also Eagle Pack & Ziwipeak but they are expensive.

Talking from running a kennel perspective I would add a bit of chum to those dogs food who would not touch the raw or the chicken and rice roll. I'd mix it in with the dry and usually they would woof that down. When running a kennel you have to go with what they will eat to keep the weight on them. It was usually those dogs that got tinned food at home that didn't know what to make of the raw/rolls.

I'd say Natures Gift as well, but my two eat bloody everything ...

but if you ever want to feed them My Dog; they'd really love it (and send you broke!) :laugh:

Edited by AnnaW

For supermarket brands, I have used Optimum with really good results and the dogs love it, will even eat it if they aren't well. Makes all their poos nice and firm too.

But I prefer Advance canned food due to the tighter less fatty texture.

I have used Nature's Gift before, but the amount of fat in the tin makes ME want to throw up... and gives my dogs the runs :laugh:

For supermarket brands, I have used Optimum with really good results and the dogs love it, will even eat it if they aren't well. Makes all their poos nice and firm too.

I have used Nature's Gift before, but the amount of fat in the tin makes ME want to throw up... and gives my dogs the runs :laugh:

Oh yes I forgot about Advance, I've used that too and it's ok. I usually throw out all the fat at the bottom of the Natures Gift cans.

Oh yes I forgot about Advance, I've used that too and it's ok. I usually throw out all the fat at the bottom of the Natures Gift cans.

Same i dont give them the bottom part. That said, I only use maybe 5-10 cans a year, its really just an emergency back up option.

Same i dont give them the bottom part. That said, I only use maybe 5-10 cans a year, its really just an emergency back up option.

When I feed it, I actually mix this with warm water and make a broth for them to drink at breakfast, they all usually love it. I have never had problems with any of them getting diarrhoea though.

I've used Nature's Gift before when flavouring kibble - also Eagle Pack & Ziwipeak but they are expensive.

Talking from running a kennel perspective I would add a bit of chum to those dogs food who would not touch the raw or the chicken and rice roll. I'd mix it in with the dry and usually they would woof that down. When running a kennel you have to go with what they will eat to keep the weight on them. It was usually those dogs that got tinned food at home that didn't know what to make of the raw/rolls.

Surely a kennel could come up with something better than Chum. I'd be pretty pissed if I was paying good money for my dog to eat crap in a can. Eventhe thought of cleaning up after chum fed dogs is repulsive. Eew!

If I had a difficult eater (which I don't ) I would supply my own food, rather than it eat Chum <<....shudder.

We use Pro Plan or Eagle pack dry for the boarders at work and rarely get a refusal. A smidgeon of Natures gift or Eaglepack canned soon tempts those that are a problem.

Surely a kennel could come up with something better than Chum. I'd be pretty pissed if I was paying good money for my dog to eat crap in a can. Eventhe thought of cleaning up after chum fed dogs is repulsive. Eew!

If I had a difficult eater (which I don't ) I would supply my own food, rather than it eat Chum <<....shudder.

We use Pro Plan or Eagle pack dry for the boarders at work and rarely get a refusal. A smidgeon of Natures gift or Eaglepack canned soon tempts those that are a problem.

And when they won't eat natures gift either? Then they got Chum...the majority of those dogs were eating at home too.

This is not what the majority of dogs got - maybe 1 dog a month that had issues and wouldn't eat. Some dogs even came in with their own PAL or Chum...And they hardly got a whole can of it - just a spoonful mixed in with good quality kibble so they would eat that.

I wasn't the one paying the bills for food, what I would have done differently food wise I didn't have the bosses permission for...again another reason I dont work there anymore.

We use Nature's Gift when we go camping and for emergency back-up. They LOVE it.

I know someone that has been to the factory and said they were very impressed with the quality of the ingredients compared to other Australian canned food factories they had been to.

And it's quite inexpensive, nothing artificial.