Pup Lethargic

Skye2

Hi All

I am a little worried about my 4 month old British Bulldog pup. He has suddenly become very lethargic. He has gone from being very playful and active to wanting to lay in his crate and sleep. I have to lift him out to take him to the toilet and he doesn't come out to play with my other dogs. At first i thought he was just tired. We had been to show training on the Tuesday night and he was trotting out nicely but totally refused to stack so the trainer suggested he was tired and to take him home early. He was okay when i got him home and happy to see the other dogs. Wednesday morning he was bright and was playing with the other dogs. I took him to puppy preschool on wednesday at 10 am and he was bright and chirpy when he got there and about half way through he seemed to loose interest so again we went home. When i got home he went into his crate and didn't surface for about 3 hours. He went out to the toilet and did a big wee and a normal poo. He then went back into his crate. I got his dinner ready and he didn't come out which concerned me somewhat. I took his food to the crate and he ate only the meat and none of the kibble. When my husband arrived home from work he didn't get out to greet him but only lifted his head up. This morning he again didn't come out of his crate he drank some milk and ate about a quarter of his kibble with sardines then just plonked back down to sleep. Again he did a normal poo and a big wee.

At first i though i have just exhausted him by taking him to too many things and trips in the car. Now I am getting concerned. There are no other symptoms no vomiting, no diarrhoea, doesn't seem tight in his tummy just lethargic and off his food. I was wondering about teething. I looked in his mouth and he seems to have to rows of teeth in the front as though the baby teeth haven't dropped out and the big boy teeth are pushing through.

I have left him today and gone to work and as i am sat here typing this, i can't believe i have left him at home and not taken him to the vet.

Any thoughts

I suggest a vet trip ...he could be sore.... he could be lacking in stamina..it could be that he is having a bad time teething... (do bullies have difficulty because of their jaw shape? :thumbsup:) there could be lots of reasons . .....

Hope he's bouncing soon!

Edited by persephone

There could a number of reasons why your pup is lethargic. Some minor some major. You need to take him to a vet asap to get him checked out. His teeth may be an issue but it is not unusual for the puppy teeth to still be there when the adult teeth are pushing thru. As long as the puppy teeth are loosening they will eventually fall out. If they arent then they will need to be removed, but get a vet to have a look.

Your pup lethargy could be due to a skeletal problem such as hip displaysia which is painful and makes the pup not want to do anything and can put them off there food or your pup may have a "doggy bug". Either way take him t the vet. Puppies are not something you wait and see with IMO.

No he is still not good. He perked up when i got home last night and ate a small amount of his dinner, then chewed on his bone for about 20 minutes. I thought he seemed a bit better so i didn't go to the vet. Now this morning he is still laying around with a reluctance to move. He had to be lifted out of his crate this morning to go to the toilet. He ate breakfast again but just the meat (no kibble). Usually he runs around with my other dogs but doesn't seem to want to come out of his crate at all. I have made an appointment with the vet tonight. I wished I took him last night but i thought he was on the improve. I think he seems sore all over his body. I am wondering if he has had a fall off my deck without me knowing or if one of my other pups has been a bit rough with him or whether it was all the car trips and the dog training. Just guessing I suppose. My poor little man, he looks so pathetic. He tries to wag his little screw tail but not with any vigour.

Thanks for your concern.

what food are you feeding him - you say meat what kind? Also what kibble?

Pano is one thing to think about = growing pains as such. If his diet is not right for his size and breed it can cause Pano, as can being too chubby. You want thin thin thin but reasonably muscled! A chubby bulldog is an unhealthy bulldog and watch some people as they say they should be a bit 'bigger'.

I believe a puppy this lethargic, that needs to be carried is an URGENT veterinary case.

He needs an urgent vet check and blood work. I wouldn't wait another minute.

Please take him and i really hope it is not serious. Good Luck.

I went to the Vet with my pup. He seemed to think he has a sore back leg which is what i had thought. At first he said there is nothing wrong with him and when i insisted he pulled his back leg out very hard and the dog screamed (not happy!!). Oh he said i got a reaction then didn't i. He gave him a cortisone injection and said it is just muscular because he will weight bear.

This morning he seemed a lot brighter and ate quite a bit but tonight i went to lift him up the back steps and he screamed and has gone in his crate and wont come out again. He didn't eat his dinner. I need to go to a different vet and am desperate to find a good one open on sunday. I live 30 mins south of campbelltown but don't care where i need to go, does anyone have any suggestions.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought a sore back leg would cause such lethargy. I've had dogs with sore legs, a broken toe, and a puppy with a hip joint that just flat out didn't work and caused major pain occasionally... none of these injuries caused them to be particularly flat :(

edited for a bit of clarity.

Edited by Longclaw

none of them were particularly flat

No- same here .. altho it IS a boy :eek:

he does sound as if a more thorough check is needed, AND some relief! :)

:( That makes it even more interesting - the two dogs (Tommy and a foster puppy) I've had with leg/toe/hip issues are both sooky mummys boys!

Yes i know. He said considering he doesn't have a temp and normal stools etc and abdomin seemed fine he thought there was nothing wrong. He does have a definite limp on the back leg now which was so evident at first. The vet i saw was not my regular vet as he is on holidays and i had to go to a different clinic. I don't feel happy and wont another opinion. I think the pain seems to be coming from his hip, if i pick him up with that hip close to my body he screams if i hold him with that hip away from my body he is okay with it. If he screams in pain he runs and hides. I will try see if Bowral vet is open on Sunday failing that i can go to Sylvania or Strathfield. Lets hope i can find a vet that seems to care!!