Lowchen

Troy

Lowchen

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=37 )

Group: Group 1 (Toys)

General Appearance: Coat clipped in traditional lion clip, tail also clipped, topped with plume, giving appearance of a little lion. Strongly built, active, well balanced and alert.

Characteristics: Gay, happy, lively little dog.

Temperament: Intelligent, affectionate showing no sign of aggression.

Head And Skull: Short fairly broad.. Skull flat between the ears head carried proud and high. Well defined stop; short, strong muzzle.

Eyes: Round, dark, relatively large and intelligent. Unbroken pigmentation of eye rims, pigment to be in accordance with coat colour.

Ears: Pendant, of moderate length with long fringing.

Mouth: Jaws strong, with perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. the upper teeth closely overlapping the lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Neck: Good length, proudly arched.

Forequarters: Shoulders well laid. Forequarters straight with round bone, no too fine.

Body: Short, strong and well proportioned. Level topline. Ribs well sprung. Strong loin with moderate tuck up.

Hindquarters: Hindlegs well-muscled. Good turn of stifle without exaggeration; straight when viewed from rear.

Feet: Small, round.

Tail: Medium length, clipped with tuft of hair to resemble a plume. Carried gaily on move.

Gait/Movement: Free, parallel movement for and aft, no hackneyed action.

Coat: Fairly long, wavy, never curly. Single coat of silky texture.

Colour: Any colour or combination of colours permissible.

Sizes: Height: 25-33 cm (10-13 ins) at withers.

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

No home is complete without a Little Lion in their den :o

I have only owned a Lowchen for 6mths, but plan on owning another one later or sooner again :D

The favourite animal of the Florentine Nobles of the 15th Century, the Lowchen catered to the whims of the elite. Ladies at court clipped the hair from the dog's backs and used them as "hot water bottles". Developed in Europe, the breed has been traditionally clipped similar to the Portuguese Water Dog in the lion trim (poodle look).

This is probably not its immediate origin, but the similarity of the Bichon family and the water dogs is emphasized by these comparisons. The Little Lion Dog undoubtedly evolved from the family of Bichons, as they travelled from the Mediterranean into Europe. Many feel that the breed was developed in Germany.

Lowchens are rare to those that don't know what or who they are, but to those of us who have a love for them they are every where lol

Teen, they have a longlife span

HAPPY!! they are a happy go-lucky breed, love to please and they believe you are their entire world, thus making them a bit uneazsy when having to relocate. But mine was a very happy girl and loved to meet and greet everyone with a toungue down you're throat and straight up your nose too :thumbsup:

Enought to keep them fit, a run around the yard, a quick walk. Lowchens excell at Obed and agility

In my honest opinion a Lowchen could fit into any home.

Yes. but they preferr to have company, otherwise they become bored and can be come destructive

Depends on the requirement, if a pet then a lowchen can be trimmed short or can be cut into shape but kept short, but if they are a show dog or wanted to keep long coated then they require more washes and clipping.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?Not really, but if over excited a lowchen might be able to knock over a small toddler, just like any other dog can.

I'll leave this up to someone who has more experienced.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

Don't go looking for colours, puppy lowchens change colour and keep changing colour lol, the lowchen I had was born Sable (cream Sable), she is from the last pics I have seen, she is now a cream ;)

Edited by Darkrai

Yay I've been looking forward to the lowchen thread!!

1. What is my relationship with the breed? I have two beautiful lowchen (pets) - Lucy is almost 2, Maximus is nine months. (As I am new to the breed, I haven't answered all the questions.)

3. How common is it in Australia? I still haven't met anyone in public (ie not a dog show) who knows what a lowchen is. I'm waiting for the day that someone knows the breed or who knows why my baby has "a poodle-like haircut".

5. What is the general temperament/personality? They're loving, happy and enjoy playing games. They love jumping and walking on two legs. But when you want quiet time they sense that and be a couch potato too. My two aren't barkers - nothing like the cliched little dog who yaps constantly. :) I waited two or three years from when I met lowchen for the first time, until we bought a house and were able to get our own. It was worth the wait and no other breed is like them, in my (biased) opinion!

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult? Mine love to do zoomies around our house and yard. Lucy loves walks but Maximus gets bored/tired after a while.

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods? In my experience it depends on the individual's personality. Like many dogs I think they're happier with a friend. (And for the record, my two get along famously.)

9. How much grooming is required? Daily brushing is best. It is easy for matted hair to sneak up on you. But after a while you know the places they tend to get knots and it is easy to prevent tangles from becoming matted. But if you opt for a pet/puppy clip, then every few days is all the brushing you'll need. Though after they've played in the yard I like to give them a quick brush as they pick up twigs, leaves in their coat usually. Best of all - they're low shedding.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)? I think they're well suited to kids and the elderly. Since they're only around the 5kg mark, even an excited puppy can't physically able to do much harm. We don't have kids but Lucy especially loves children.

In the future I would love to train Maxi as a Delta dog to visit people in nursing homes, which I think he'll love.

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of? Luxating patellas I believe.

how often do you clip them for showing?

If you are showing weekly, then you do them weekly. I wouldnt leave them any longer than a month.

Oh and they can move fast too just not the pace of the bigger breeds, this is Sivvy only a couple of months back.

SivvyMovement.jpg

Depends on the dog, the one i had I nearly had to run with her she was a baby when i was showing her, even the Judge told me to move faster ;)

For a better indication take a stroll over to the toy ring if there are any lowchens on and see how quick they can move.

I've gotta wait a couple more months before I can get another :happydance: Im a fan of the browns (Chocolates lol), oh and Sables :laugh:

Owner/Exhibitor/Breeder since 1989 - October is the 20th Anniversary of Lowchendom.

The breed is European, said to be sourced from the Mediterranean merchant dogs (thus related to Bichon Breeds) and kept as the adored companions of the wealthy in German & France from approx the 15th Century to the end of the 18th Century.

Between 60 - 100 Lowchen are born in Australia every year.

Approx 13-15 years.

Despite their size and haircut, Lowchen are tough little dogs.

Affectionate, at times pushy, playful and energetic. Whilst they do enjoy cuddles and quiet time they do need to let off steam.

The breed has plenty of attention seekers and alpha personalities and some can require a stricter handling. A breeder should be able to inform potential owners of the temperaments of the pups and the softer/sweeter personalities are better for inexperienced dog owners.

Males not used in breeding should be neutered at 6 months.

At least half an hour of "hard play" a day. This is running, fetching, wrestling etc. A 15 minute brisk walk is nice but the breed does like to entertain with their leaping, bounding, bouncing antics.

Yes if the puppy is of the softer/sweeter/quieter persuasion. Not all puppies will be suitable and careful selection will make it easier.

Whilst not ideal, the breed can occupy themselves. Puppies MUST be contained in a safe environment as they will eat electrical or phone cords. Lots of toys and comfortable bedding is a must. Mature dogs generally sleep all day.

With any coated, low shedding breed, the hair is high maintenance. Depending on coat texture (it varies from dog to dog) the dog will require full grooms fortnightly to every 8 weeks. Brushing may be required daily but no less than weekly to keep the dog comfortable.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

I would not recommend the breed for infirm people unless it is a mature dog specifically trained. The breed is quite tolerant of children but care should be taken when the dog is playing.

The breeds most common problem is Patella Luxation which affects a number of small breeds and crosses. The incidences of PL in Lowchen is not high but still occasionally occurs.

Other known problems are Cataracts, PRA, Heart Murmurs, Autoimmune issues and Liver shunt. These are quite rare however.

There is no compulsory testing of registered Lowchen. Many breeders will supply copies of parents "Clear" or "Normal" eye test materials. You can check that the breeder is providing test results to the Lowchen community at Lowchen World Health Database.

I highly recommend that new buyers take their puppies to their own vet as soon as possible after purchasing the dog. The puppy should be given a complete health check, including checking patellas and heart.

Photos:

NewYearGroup_a.jpg

Some of our dogs back in 2006, all "Lowenhart" bred ranging from about 5 months to 12 years. All are decendants of the 3rd from the left girl.

L-R they are "Juju" Ch Lowenhart Juju Jumpjet, "Tribbles" Ch Lowenhart I Love Trouble, "Acid" [12 years old in photo] Ch Lowenhart Mystic Crystal, "Speedie" Lowenhart Air Addiction, "Gupster" Ch Lowenhart Axplosive Atom, "Pash" Lowenhart JumpUpN KissMe, "Wikket" Ch Lowenhart Ewok Adventure and "Manyana" Lowenhart Wotcha Waitnfr.

Adambath.jpg

Lowenhart Adam Acrobat "Adam" being bathed as a baby. He has the most wonderful family.

BumBall_0382.jpg

BumBall_0395.jpg

BumBumGo_0302.jpg

Ch Wanted Distant Shores (imp Finland via Norway) "BumBum" being a typical Lowchen goofball.

BBHei_0004.jpg

Living with Lowchen. It's all toys and comfy beds.

In the back is Lowenhart KickUp TheHeini "Heidi" and infront is "BumBum" Ch Wanted Distant Shores (imp Fin/Norw).

Acid13y_0585.jpg

Ch Lowenhart Mystic Crystal at 13 years old - still ready to play.

BumGupShorn_0475.jpg

Ch Wanted Distant Shores (imp Fin/Norw) "BumBum" & Ch Lowenhart Axplosive Atom "Gupster" posing at the waterfront.

BumBabes_0420.jpg

"BumBum" leaping over 2 playful puppies "Gretchen" Lowenhart Kickstarts YourHart & "Heidi" Lowenhart KickUp The Heini.

Gretchen_0175.jpg

Bix_0204.jpg

Lowchen love a little bit of adventure :)

Top is "Gretchen" Lowenhart Kickstarts YourHart, below is "Bixley" Lowenhart KickIt ToMe

BombLitter600_0006.jpg

There is a recessive coat type referred to as Smooth. Sometimes called Smoothies, Smoochen or Smootchen. These 3 are littermates, both sire & dam were beautifully coated Champions.

L-R Lowenhart Blond Bombshel "MsMonroe", Lowenhart Bliss Bomb "Velvet" & Lowenhart Bomb Bastic "Tahtu".

Velvet is normally coated and her siblings are smooth.

Edited by Lowenhart

Very cute and very nice Lownhart love seeing your bubs :laugh:

What are the chances of getting smooths in your litters?

Depends on the pedigree and how much the puppy fairy likes you.

My Smoochen litter had multiple lines to an early Australian smooth bitch, but I factored the chance of Smooths to be low because neither sire or dam had produced smooth before and neither had smooth siblings. My math was obviously bad.

http://www.lowchenworld.com/cgi-bin/pedigr...;db=lowchen.dbw

This is a "reverse pedigree" of the early Aussie Smoochen. Six generations later you can see she is in a great number of Australian lines and she is there multiple times.

It's really a roll of the dice. The uncle of my Smooths has sired 14 litters, in 4 or 5 countries totalling 39 offspring. He has produced 1 smooth puppy that ended up with some coat and 1 rough coated puppy. I know another bitch (not mine or related to mine) who produced a smooth pup in every litter she whelped. Her coated offspring were spectacular, beautiful coats and heads to die for.

It maybe that a smooth is a 'once off' occurance or a regular thing.

So would it be Hereditary,meaning that it would have to be in the lines for it to happen?

It's generally considered hereditary, a recessive coat type that has been in the breed since the start of the modern breeding program (1940's & 50's onwards).

So it's in ALL lines, to a greater or lesser degree.

Great pics Lowenhart. :hitself:

This could be a silly question, but does the smoochen coat shed more than a regular lowchen coat? To a layperson it looks more like a short coated breed that may drop hair a lot.