Tracking Test Question/s

Can anyone help with a couple of questions please?

1. What does track on mean. Ie if people are willing, you can track on.

2. From those that have tried it both ways: My dog stops at each article enough to show an atual detection of the article but I have noticed other people train their dog to sit or drop at the article. Does anyone have an opinion as to wether the stoping to sit could possibly make the dog loose focus or the scent at all. I prefer to just let the dog pause and then move on but don't want have have to re-train later if one method is better than the other or is more likely to end in a pass.

Feel free to add any other advice regarding the first test and what NOT to do. :D

Thanks Neatz

Was "Track on" used in reference to failing your test? I think it just means that the steward/judge will if the situation permits, take you back to the track and allow your dog to continue to the end. Let you get some more training in. I've got two fails so far (dammit! :D) and both times we've been able to get back on track and finish - though of course, we still failed.

I haven't taught both ways - my dogs pause and sniff and I'd like them to pick the article up if possible, though I've heard others say this is a no no. :( The only thing to be careful of with a dog that just pauses is if the pause is too short. Some judges can be hard on dogs that pause and expect a really really long pause but I've yet to encounter anyone like that.

Good luck!

I read the words 'track on' in theVCA gazette. " If tracks become available and time permits, a ballot will be held for those who may wish to track on at this trial". :D

I haven't taught both ways - my dogs pause and sniff and I'd like them to pick the article up if possible, though I've heard others say this is a no no. The only thing to be careful of with a dog that just pauses is if the pause is too short. Some judges can be hard on dogs that pause and expect a really really long pause but I've yet to encounter anyone like that.

That's why I wondered about the pause because it would really annoy me if my dog stopped at the article but the judge deemed it too quick. My dog is very eager and moves pretty fast but when she gets to the article she definately stops at it. I guess these things get tweeked as you go.

What did you feel was the reason for the fails with your dog? Was it much more difficult than you expected?

I read the words 'track on' in theVCA gazette. " If tracks become available and time permits, a ballot will be held for those who may wish to track on at this trial". :D

In that context,'track on' means that having passed one test at a particular trial, you may be able to attempt the next test at the same trial - as it says, if there are tracks. time and tracklayers available. If there are more requests for track ons than there are tracks/time available, then there can be a ballot.

Hmm, maybe they mean get another track, I'm not sure - hopefully a Vic tracker will come in.

1st fail - track was certainly "legal" but a tough one as it was through chest high grass the whole time. We got half-way along, were still exactly on the track but my dog was exhausted and just couldn't keep working. So his fitness needed improving.

2nd fail - I let him start too fast and he rushed the first corner - went in the opposite direction and got too far before I read his signal he'd lost the track. He couldn't find the track as we'd gotten too far away. He of course, tracked beautifully after we were put back on to finish. :D We're doing some training on being able to back track when we're completely lost when we start again (it's too cold for this wuss right now).

In that context,'track on' means that having passed one test at a particular trial, you may be able to attempt the next test at the same trial - as it says, if there are tracks. time and tracklayers available. If there are more requests for track ons than there are tracks/time available, then there can be a ballot.

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. That's what I thought it meant but wasn't quite sure.

1st fail - track was certainly "legal" but a tough one as it was through chest high grass the whole time. We got half-way along, were still exactly on the track but my dog was exhausted and just couldn't keep working. So his fitness needed improving.

2nd fail - I let him start too fast and he rushed the first corner - went in the opposite direction and got too far before I read his signal he'd lost the track. He couldn't find the track as we'd gotten too far away. He of course, tracked beautifully after we were put back on to finish. :D We're doing some training on being able to back track when we're completely lost when we start again (it's too cold for this wuss right now).

That first fail sounds like a nightmare test. At my level I am not entirely sure I would even allow my dog to do that track.

Why do they always do it perfectly afterwards? :(

It was a TD2 and really the long grass makes it easier - more things to hold the smell - and it's so hard for clubs to find places to trial, they can only do the best they can. The club I train with has twice this year had tracks ruined by a hot air balloon company coming in with bus loads of people to use the field to take off. from. :D

Why? Mostly Murphy! But sometimes it can be because the handler is no longer tense (at the possible pass) and is more like they are in training. :(

It was a TD2 and really the long grass makes it easier - more things to hold the smell - and it's so hard for clubs to find places to trial, they can only do the best they can. The club I train with has twice this year had tracks ruined by a hot air balloon company coming in with bus loads of people to use the field to take off. from. :cool:

Why? Mostly Murphy! But sometimes it can be because the handler is no longer tense (at the possible pass) and is more like they are in training. :D

That's just rude. :(

Hope you have better luck at your next trial :D

2. From those that have tried it both ways: My dog stops at each article enough to show an atual detection of the article but I have noticed other people train their dog to sit or drop at the article. Does anyone have an opinion as to wether the stoping to sit could possibly make the dog loose focus or the scent at all. I prefer to just let the dog pause and then move on but don't want have have to re-train later if one method is better than the other or is more likely to end in a pass.

Feel free to add any other advice regarding the first test and what NOT to do. :laugh:

Thanks Neatz

1. As people have answered, track on, means that you get to do your next level track and the competition.

2. Getting your dogs to sit or drop means that the judge can definitely see the indication. Sometimes, if you just traing the dog to just pause, in the excitement of a competition, when the dog might get faster (dogs also pick up on your nerves) the dog might not really give an indication of a full pause, so the judge will not award it. Personally I feel it is better to train a sit or drop and hope for the best at the trial.

I have trained a Tracking Champion, another with a TD title and another who just passed her TD2. I am training them to pick them up, sit and wait for me to take the article from them. In the 3 years, I've been tracking, not once as this affected their focus when resent - you do have to train for it though. The times, people say that if the dog picks it up and carries it, in can affect their smelling of the track, but I never let the dog continue when they still have the article in their mouth. If they pick it up and you take it off them, it does not affect their rescenting of the track.

I personally just feel better to be safe than sorry so would train for the better indication so a judge can never say "I'm unsure whether that was an indication or not".

Good luck with it.

It was a TD2 and really the long grass makes it easier - more things to hold the smell - and it's so hard for clubs to find places to trial, they can only do the best they can.

Ultimiately that track was all my fault. I as trial secretary and as the tracklayer for that track, basically placed that track. Some dogs love the long grass as it holds the smell more. But it was really thick and although he did a fantastic job, it just all got too much for him. But he certainly knows what he is doing - you should be proud of him!

The club I train with has twice this year had tracks ruined by a hot air balloon company coming in with bus loads of people to use the field to take off. from. :D

:(

That's just rude. :p

Hope you have better luck at your next trial :laugh:

We have spoken with these 3 balloon companies now and given them our dates. They haven't even given the owners notice - they just think that they can take off from anywhere. I feel for the property owners!

Molasseslass will go really well in the next trial.

Feel free to add any other advice regarding the first test and what NOT to do. :confused:

Thanks Neatz

1. As people have answered, track on, means that you get to do your next level track and the competition.

2. Getting your dogs to sit or drop means that the judge can definitely see the indication. Sometimes, if you just traing the dog to just pause, in the excitement of a competition, when the dog might get faster (dogs also pick up on your nerves) the dog might not really give an indication of a full pause, so the judge will not award it. Personally I feel it is better to train a sit or drop and hope for the best at the trial.

I have trained a Tracking Champion, another with a TD title and another who just passed her TD2. I am training them to pick them up, sit and wait for me to take the article from them. In the 3 years, I've been tracking, not once as this affected their focus when resent - you do have to train for it though. The times, people say that if the dog picks it up and carries it, in can affect their smelling of the track, but I never let the dog continue when they still have the article in their mouth. If they pick it up and you take it off them, it does not affect their rescenting of the track.

I personally just feel better to be safe than sorry so would train for the better indication so a judge can never say "I'm unsure whether that was an indication or not".

Good luck with it.

That's what I was thinking along the lines of. It would be upsetting to fail a test for this reason, particularly if your dog walks right up to the article.

Thanks for your advice, I must admit I do like watching the dogs that drop at the article. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to look into giving our guys a go at tracking in Brisbane - can anyone point me in a direction to start?

How do I start? are there beginner days? Books? Web Sites?

Can you give me a quick over view of what is involved? I am not sure I like the long grass part..........what about ticks.........snakes.............

Thanks

Colliehound