Puppy Wants To Eat Dirt - Why?

vegemite_toast

Our puppy is now 11 weeks old. Every time she goes outside she wants to eat dirt. She seeks out the bare patches in the lawn and licks, digs, bites, and eats the dirt.

Any ideas why she would do this and any good ideas for stopping it? I do try to redirect her and/or stand on top of the area that has her interest, but it only helps in the very short term.

She's probably just generally playing in the dirt as such, and not eating it on purpose? My pup mouthed and tasted/ate everything in the first month I had her, this went away when she matured a little! But when she digs in the dirt even now, it involves some pawing, nibbling, ripping of grass roots etc, which can look like she's eating dirt

Our puppy is now 11 weeks old. Every time she goes outside she wants to eat dirt. She seeks out the bare patches in the lawn and licks, digs, bites, and eats the dirt.

Any ideas why she would do this and any good ideas for stopping it? I do try to redirect her and/or stand on top of the area that has her interest, but it only helps in the very short term.

aint you glad its not poop............ :cheer::laugh: :D :rofl:

Choco does, i think its a puppy thing...all they wanna do is bite,mouth EVERYTHING in sight.....

My dogs eat the dirt when they dig holes after it rains. Some say its to eat the grubs/worms that come to the surface when the grounds too wet. I have heard that there are nutrients in the ground, as long as there are no fertilisers or weed killers.

puppies, like human babies, explore with their mouths...when she is outside- provide her with a bone, or a kong.... as something different.

The more you stand near her interesting spot- or speak to her when she's there- the more you actually draw attention to it :laugh: (IMO)

When you leave her out for some time- does she stop eventually?

Thanks everyone. It is good to know that Maple is not the only dirt grazer.

Yes, she does enjoy grass, grass roots, sticks, paper etc too. But she does actually lick, bite and eat the dirt either from the surface or she paws a bit at the spot, then eats.

We feed her Pro Plan and add in some fish oil every day, so I certainly hope that she is not seeking out missing minerals from her diet in the dirt.