• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey everyone!

Hope everyone's Sammys are doing great!

Baccus has just been in for his snip and hasnt slowed down for a second! While the men around me are cringing when I talk about it, my boy is bouncing around with joy (minus a few bald spots!)

Obviously I'm trying to keep him as quiet as possible until he's healed a bit :laugh:

Does anyone have any grooming tips for me? I find I can distract him for about 10mins with a treat and manage to get half of him done, so its a slow process (don't worry, I knew what I was getting myself in for and we sit down every day for a quick brush to stay on top of it!!)

I have read through the grooming section on the forum, just hoping for some breed specific tips

Julie

pic of my boy pre-yawn!

post-31783-1267487473_thumb.jpg

Edited by julieldavo

Glad to hear his surgery has gone well and that he is recovering quickly.

As for grooming i would recommend to continue with the daily combing and brushing to get him used to it. Put him flat on his side, be very firm with him and don't let him get up until you're ready for it - otherwise he wins! Start with just a few minutes of it to get him used to it and praise him when he stays nice and still. Once he is used to this position it is by far the easiest way to get to all parts of their body - once you've done one side, you just flip him over and do they other. You can also lift up his front legs and do tricky spot like in his 'underarm.' The sooner you start doing this, the better it will be for both of you! He's only going to get bigger and go through phases of being more stubborn (at about 12 months... trust me! We're going through this at the moment, haha) If he's really not okay with it - say if he's very knotty to start with and it's hurting him - you can ween him into it by giving him a raw hide chewy bone or pigs ear to distract him while he's on his side..... but eventual do try to do it without out it, he will eventually relax into the idea and love being groomed!

This video shows someone stripping their samoyed out (who is dropping coat) just as i've described

- see they do love it!

Gorgeous pic, he's very cute!!

Edited by Bindii

As for grooming i would recommend to continue with the daily combing and brushing to get him used to it. Put him flat on his side, be very firm with him and don't let him get up until you're ready for it - otherwise he wins! Start with just a few minutes of it to get him used to it and praise him when he stays nice and still. Once he is used to this position it is by far the easiest way to get to all parts of their body - once you've done one side, you just flip him over and do they other. You can also lift up his front legs and do tricky spot like in his 'underarm.' The sooner you start doing this, the better it will be for both of you! He's only going to get bigger and go through phases of being more stubborn (at about 12 months... trust me! We're going through this at the moment, haha) If he's really not okay with it - say if he's very knotty to start with and it's hurting him - you can ween him into it by giving him a raw hide chewy bone or pigs ear to distract him while he's on his side..... but eventual do try to do it without out it, he will eventually relax into the idea and love being groomed!

This video shows someone stripping their samoyed out (who is dropping coat) just as i've described

- see they do love it!

I totally agree with Bindii but I will add something.

First what are you using to brish him with?

The wrong tools will actually cause pain and make your job harder.

And second were are you grooming him?

I suggest getting him up on a table if you are not already, it will make it much harder for him to run off on you :laugh:

How hard is teh coat to keep clean?

Does it stain easily from grass, mud etc?

How much coat difference is their between a bitch and a dog?

How long does the Samoyed generally live for?

Could the Samoyed live in warmer area along the beach?

How much does a full grown adult weigh approx?

Does the breed have dew claws? are they removed if so?

How vocal are they?

How hard is teh coat to keep clean?

My dogs are shown so they are bathed somewhat more regularly then what the usual pet owner would require.

Mistral has not been in the show ring for months now and hasn't been bathed for a number of months. He is a little less white then clean little Allie but most people think he still looks brilliant :laugh:

I would suggest a pet owner bath their Sammie once every few months.

Does it stain easily from grass, mud etc?

I am yet to have a grass stain on one of my dogs.

They live in the house but are outside in the kennels and yard during the day rolling around and getting messy.

Dirt seems to brush right out of them. Even if they have a mud bath (and they love it) allow the mud to dry and them simply brush out. The only thing I have found that will really stick in the coat is the red dirt we get here.

How much coat difference is there between a bitch and a dog?

Usually what you will find is the dogs have a bigger coat, more fur around the neck giving them an impressive ruff and long chest hair.

The coat of a bitch is often a little softer then that of the dog.

How long does the Samoyed generally live for?

About 12 to 14 years

Could the Samoyed live in warmer area along the beach?

They cope fine.

There are many Samoyeds in queensland and other hot places. The thick coat reflects the heat and acts as insulation in hot and cold weather.

How much does a full grown adult weigh approx?

My boy is about 25 kilo and he is almost 2 years old, so he still has about a year before he is mature.

Does the breed have dew claws? are they removed if so?

Both my dogs have their front dew claws

How vocal are they?

The breed can be very vocal!

Neither of my dogs bark unless we have just gotten home, there is something to bark at (ie kangaroo, cow, someone has arrived at the house) or they are playing with each other (but that is more of a woo woo sound then a right out bark).

Both dogs are quiet every other time.

Each dog is different and each dog will respond to training differently but I highly suggest that if anyone is thinking of getting a Samoyed train the dog from the very moment you get it home, barking is not on.

And a tried Samoyed is a happy and quiet Samoyed

Thanks. How would you describe them with cats and things in general? Children also?

Are breeders against having dew claws removed? if it was asked when teh litter was born, do you think they'd find it acceptable to ask?

Are they known to escape like huskies? please excuse my possible silliness in asking this; i've just never met a samoyed.

With the dog being white coated, is there any sight and hearing issues?

What price range does one go for?

How would you describe them with cats and things in general? Children also?

Mine live with four cats, a horse and two rats and we have no problems.

The prey drive is there but provided the dog is raised with them and taught how to behave you should be fine.

As for children the Samoyed is a childs best friend. They seem to have a natural instinct about how to be around kids. I don't have kiddies myself but my dogs have met many children and they are always calm and loving.

Are breeders against having dew claws removed? if it was asked when teh litter was born, do you think they'd find it acceptable to ask?

I'm really not sure about this one.

Every Sammie I know has its front dew claws and don't really see a reason to remove them myself.

Someone else might know the answer.

Are they known to escape like huskies? please excuse my possible silliness in asking this; i've just never met a samoyed.

They can be.

This is a very intelligent breed and if a Sammie is left to rot in the backyard it will eventually start looking for ways to amuse itself and escaping is one of them.

I have herd some very amusing stories of Samoyeds climbing along the roofs of houses and up into trees.

Neither of mine have ever tried to escape.

With the dog being white coated, is there any sight and hearing issues?

I can't say I have herd much about hearing or sight issues.

But thats not saying they are not out there, someone else might be able to answer this better then myself.

What price range does one go for?

Anywhere from about $900 to $1200 approx

Thankyou again. :laugh:

Lots of information.

Should a buyer be weary of a breeder selling entire litters on Main registration, or are Samoyed's generally not faulted enough to need to be on limited register?

It's 8 weeks fine to pick up your samoyed pup, or should they stay with mum and siblings longer then this time?

What about urine staining? any of that? And tear staining?

Wat sort of brushes, conditioners and other coat care should you use?

do they blow coat twice yearly for both sexes?

Should a buyer be weary of a breeder selling entire litters on Main registration, or are Samoyed's generally not faulted enough to need to be on limited register?

Now this is only my opinion but I would be a little wary of someone selling every pup on main reg.

I fail to believe that every single pup in a litter is show quality and if it is, well lucky them but I will hold my own judgment till all the pups are grown and titled :laugh:

There are plenty of faults that can crop up in the Samoyed that stop it being shown.

It's 8 weeks fine to pick up your samoyed pup, or should they stay with mum and siblings longer then this time?

I think 8 weeks is fine to pick up the pup

What about urine staining? any of that? And tear staining?

Urine staining seems worse in bitches then dogs.

I use a stain remover and a good quailty whitening shampoo and that does the trick.

As for tear staining if the dog is healthy there should be no staining.

Wat sort of brushes, conditioners and other coat care should you use?

I use a collie comb for most of the work and a pin brish and slicker for volume and shape.

I use plumb white for washing and sea breeze oil to keep the coat conditioned.

Burning from hot dryers and the sun can be an issue and there are some good coat sunscreens out there. The coat is delicate and cool dryers should be used when drying.

Also waych out for hot spots, always make sure the dog is totally dry. The under coat can stay wet for days and that can cause all kind of issues.

Do they blow coat twice yearly for both sexes?

Usually its only the bitches that drop twice a year but my boy has recently gone threw a huge coat change and dropped slowly over about 6 months :laugh:

BP congrats on considering a Sammie, if you do chose one you wont regret it :laugh:

Wolfsong has just about covered everything i think! Will just add about the hearing and sight - definitely haven't ever heard of any problems. The breed is pretty well clear genetically of things like that, the only thing that should definitely be checked are hips, being a breed of their size. Some do check eyes but i think they're almost always clear, kind of like how most seem to check elbows but always get zeros anyway.

Re the main registered question i'm on an Aust/NZ yahoo list which was recently discussing this and it seems that many - in fact most - do sell their entire litters on Main Register. I believe it may be because they are not an *overly* popular breed - like Staffords or Pugs or Cavaliers, so it's not quite as big a deal. As many seemed to feel on the list - if someone wants to breed their dog/bitch and they're not going to show or register, the papers mean nothing to them anyway. For that reason i would not 'steer clear' of a Samoyed breeder who does this, maybe just ask why they've chosen to do that and their reasons may be valid.

Tear staining doesn't seem to be an issue in Sams - i think this is because the hair on their faces is naturally short. Though i have seen a litter of samoyeds in a petshop with tear staining :laugh:

My boy doesn't try to escape either. Nor is he a barker - just a 'woo-woo'er when i arrive home. He also tells my Pug off for barking :laugh:

Samoyeds in NSW are generally up around $1500, in Victoria they range from $1000 - $1500, not sure about SA.

The SA Samoyed Club are having a special champ show (i think like 50th or something?) in June... keep an eye out for that one! I'm not going as our National is a week later and i'll be heading up to QLD and can't afford the time off work! But i know many will be heading over :laugh:

Also want to stress how gorgeous the breed are with children. I assisted with the Samoyed club of Vic with their sled runs over christmas - one was at a special school... all the samoyeds were just wonderful, some house dogs, some kennel dogs, all just a brilliant. Fletcher had his fur pulled and his tail run over by a wheel chair. He was not phased! It was like they knew what they were there for and all were calm and happy. The breed was chosen to do it's job of herding and sledding and keeping the children warm at night because they had a natural affinity with man.. it is still there today and they are such a beautiful breed for it.

We have two australian shepherds, and the OH really wants a belgian shepherd groendale or a ridgeback(dont ask). I want another coated breed, and am considering something bigger like the sammy or something smaller like a lappie or sheltie.I want a laid back member who can be social, ca work if needed and enjoys mental and physical exercise. I love long coats and love to sit there and brush brush brush. Wouldn't be for a while yet, and as we're having children in a few years, i really want to be sure i can trust the breed. Aussies I trust no problem.. so switched on. Shelties yap like there is no tomorrow. Samoyeds I'm hoping to learn about and meet some. :laugh:

Hi All,

I'm sooooo excited!!!!!!! My parent's are buying a house. I will finally be able to have a female sammie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

I've always wanted a girl but at the time I got Simba there weren't any around. I am getting her in december, all being well.

I've already got a name for her "Crystal". It is awesome news. :)

I can't wait, and Simba will have lot's of fun playing with her!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

XXToughgirlXxxxxxxx

- see they do love it!

I totally agree with Bindii but I will add something.

First what are you using to brish him with?

The wrong tools will actually cause pain and make your job harder.

And second were are you grooming him?

I suggest getting him up on a table if you are not already, it will make it much harder for him to run off on you :happydance:

Thanks for all your tips!

I read in the grooming area yesterday that some people have been using their coffee tables so I gave it a try - massive success! No treats necesarry and got at least 10 minutes of brushing in before he wanted to go play (chase..) the cats.

I'm using brushes supplied to me by the breeder - figured it would be the safest bet to purchase them from there rather than try and source what would probably be wrong. I'm currently using a Prestige pin brush, a slicker and a wide tooth comb (not sure what brands they are). Is there a particular brush I should use more than the others? In a certain order?

This is a pic of Mistral and baby Alchemy.

Notice in the left corner, under Mistys butt, is a small grey and white cat, Seti.

allieandfriend3-1.jpg

And a puppy photo of Alchemy

SpringDayFun0932.jpg

Gorgeous pics! Love looking at pics of other Samoyeds - dont visit the Spitz page very often cos I'm a bit bias and would rather just see sammys!

- see they do love it!

Oh my..... thats some crazy grooming!!! All things I have to look forward too I guess!!