Samoyed

Troy

I've spoken to the other half, and he said he's happy to consider a samoyed if the ones we meet are good enough. :thumbsup: Can anyone recommend any in SA, or would you recomend one interstate that would be really worth flying a pup interstate for if the quality is that much better :)

I breeder's site i was looking at said you must be prepared for digging, barking and pulling on leashes.. That this is common and expected.

Even with training? :happydance:

which sex do you prefer? why?

Is there a price difference male/female?

Does coat condition or volume change if being desexed.

Does coat stain after seasons? or are the girls generally good at keeping that clean?

What age are samoyeds generally puppies for?

Is Samoyed theft common?

Do pups need restricted play untill they are grown?

Edited by Bonnie Parker

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've spoken to the other half, and he said he's happy to consider a samoyed if the ones we meet are good enough. ;) Can anyone recommend any in SA, or would you recomend one interstate that would be really worth flying a pup interstate for if the quality is that much better ;)

I breeder's site i was looking at said you must be prepared for digging, barking and pulling on leashes.. That this is common and expected.

Even with training? :)

Even with training it is something you need to be aware of possibly happening.

Having said that this is a very trainable breed, the dogs in my boys (and some in my girls) pedigree have multiable obediance titles. neither of my dogs nuiance bark or dig and the only reason one of them pulls is lack of training on my behalf.

If you are committed to training from the begining you have a much better chance of stopping this in the begining.

Before I got my girl I would have told you boys are the only way to go but Alchemy is the sweetest little thing in the world.

I have found the boys to be more sookie and more willing to cuddle for ages but both sexes are equally loving.

Some breeders may charge different prices but I am unaware of any who do.

The coat will probebly get thicker and fuller.

Does coat stain after seasons? or are the girls generally good at keeping that clean?

I have not seen a badly stained bitch due to seasons.

Each dog off cause will be different but provided you are willing to put in a little work with stain removal if your girl is a little messy you should be fine.

I think it varies from dog to dog.

My boy is a big baby and I really think will be for a long time were as my girl is very much an adult and she is only 9 months. I would say an approx age would be around 1 or 3 years.

Is Samoyed theft common?

Again its hard to say.

I have herd of Sammies being stolen and I have herd of many other more common breeds being pinched too.

This comes down to the owner and what the breeder says.

I dont walk my pups before a year old and I do keep an eye on play. We try to limit the amount of jumping up on their back legs and sharpe twisting, stairs are also avoided.

But I know other people who think differently.

I say each to their own :happydance:

As for breeders there are a couple in SA but I know nothing of them or their dogs so cant recomend them.

However there are most fantastic breeders in the country, I can suggest in no particular order:

Kalaska in Vic

Mezen in Vic

Snerzok - in Vic (seeing a theme here :thumbsup: )

Icemist - NSW (and a member here)

Apolar - NSW

Even with training? :(

As WS said, they are very trainable. They can be stubborn, but they are very clever and if you get it right from the start and continue to be firm with them i don't see it being a problem. You are dog savvy, you'll be fine. Know what to expect and you wont have a problem. Fletcher is my first Samoyed and i have him walking well on the lead, not digging and not barking. Wait - not digging is a bit of a lie. He doesn't just dig for the sake of digging, but he will occasionally create a bit of a 'crater' to lie in (for the cool dirt!) but that's it.

From what i've seen, the girls can be a bit sillier and bouncier, and the boys can be a bit more stubborn. As with most breeds you need to be firmer bringing up a boy, especially being a female owner.

Not that i've ever heard of.

I'd assume they might get thicker and girls wont have 'predictable' coat-droppings as they do when they have seasons. BUT i really don't know :)

"I have not seen a badly stained bitch due to seasons.

Each dog off cause will be different but provided you are willing to put in a little work with stain removal if your girl is a little messy you should be fine."

What she said^

Agree that it would vary from dog to dog. I know that my boy is 13 months old and was a wise old man until about 2 months ago when he became a puppy!!! He's a teenager at the moment and really acting like one, most have told me this phase will last till about 18 months. As for maturing physically, i've been told 4-5 years is when they are fully matured (if entire)

Is Samoyed theft common?

I've not heard of a case. I'd think smaller 'companion' breeds are probably more at risk.

"I say each to their own :laugh:"

Agree with that! Go by what you believe, and what the breeder guides you. Many say no stairs until they are more developed, but then you don't want an older dog scared of going up and down stairs so it's a bit of a toss up!

WS:

"As for breeders there are a couple in SA but I know nothing of them or their dogs so cant recomend them.

However there are most fantastic breeders in the country, I can suggest in no particular order:

Kalaska in Vic

Mezen in Vic

Snerzok - in Vic (seeing a theme here :D )

Icemist - NSW (and a member here)

Apolar - NSW"

Agree with this list (Fletchie's a Snerzok!) and will add Airebis Samoyeds ;) http://www.airebis-samoyeds.com/

Oh and Aldonza... both in Vic.

When you ask about good quality Samoyeds worth flying over - do you mean for the show ring? or simply from good quality, responsible breeders?

Also have a look at the Samoyed Club of SA's site, i know that it was revamped recently so should have some good info for you on there http://www.samoyedclubofsa.com/

Thanks for all your tips!

I read in the grooming area yesterday that some people have been using their coffee tables so I gave it a try - massive success! No treats necesarry and got at least 10 minutes of brushing in before he wanted to go play (chase..) the cats.

I'm using brushes supplied to me by the breeder - figured it would be the safest bet to purchase them from there rather than try and source what would probably be wrong. I'm currently using a Prestige pin brush, a slicker and a wide tooth comb (not sure what brands they are). Is there a particular brush I should use more than the others? In a certain order?

Glad to hear it's going so well!! Those grooming tools sound perfect!! :D

Here's a pic of my boy taken last weekend.. Snapped by the lovely Wolfsong! :thumbsup: again!

CanberraRoyalheadshotcropped.jpg

Edited by Bindii

When you ask about good quality Samoyeds worth flying over - do you mean for the show ring? or simply from good quality, responsible breeders?

From an ethical, trusted and wellmeaning breeder; providing me with the best possible pet pup. :(

ETA: Other then coat thickness, what noticeable differences are there in male and female sammoyeds?

Could you please post some boy vs girl photos? thankyou. :laugh:

Edited by Bonnie Parker

From an ethical, trusted and wellmeaning breeder; providing me with the best possible pet pup. :cry:

ETA: Other then coat thickness, what noticeable differences are there in male and female sammoyeds?

Could you please post some boy vs girl photos? thankyou. :)

All of those breeders mentioned earlier are ethical, trusted and wellmeaning. Though there are many others, also in SA but i don't know them personally. It would be best to call them or get in touch and find out what they're all about :thumbsup:

Males and females - do you mean physically? Girls are generally smaller than the boys... the standard states Dogs: 51-56 cms and Bitches: 46-51 cms at the shoulder.. so a small girl is significantly smaller.

They also often have finer, more feminine looking heads.

I dont have a female so can't show you any comparison photos.. but the first photo on this page is a good example. The two on each end are boys, and the two in the middle are girls (the girl on the left is Mum of the others!)

Edited by Bindii

From an ethical, trusted and wellmeaning breeder; providing me with the best possible pet pup. :cry:

Could you please post some boy vs girl photos? thankyou. :)

What Bindii said, girls should be finer and more delicate then the boys, smaller in height too.

I will post some pics of my two when I get home tonight and that will show the difference between the sexes

extra_282.jpg

Is it normal for the girls to be that much smaller? or are they on teh smaller scale and the boys on the large or their standards?

Looks like they still have growing to do. :cry: Sorry, aussies are just so similiar in height that was a huge difference to me.

Beautiful babies though.. <3 I can't wait .:)

Hi All,

I think Kalaska are the best Sammie breeder's in Victoria.

XXToughgirlXX

I agree, Kalaska have bred some beautiful dogs... Aussie is absoloutely stunning!

What makes you say they are the best? :cry:

Edited by Bindii

Ok here are some examples for you between the dogs and bitches.

In these two photos are my boy Mistral and his litter sister Star.

Both dogs height is within the standard

StarsVisit271.jpg

InTransitfromaweekendofShowing62.jpg

Now the next two pics are my dogs, Mistral my 2 yr old boy

1year9monthsold1.jpg

And Alchemy my 9 month old girl

BeforeBungendore3-1.jpg

Allie is still young and has more filling out to do but she will never be as heavy as Mistral for two reasons. First being that she is a bitch and it is very important that the girls look like girls and she is from different lines. Mistral is very English looking were as Alchemy is more Italian.

Both however are correct.

Oh and this, just for cute value, Allie and Mist curled up when she was a baby

AlchemyandMistSnuggles2-1.jpg

Hi :rofl:

WS and Bindii, I've really enjoyed reading both of your responses to Bonnie's questions, I think I just love reading anything to do with our Sammies! :laugh: And isn't it especially exciting when you come across people like Bonnie who do ask so many important questions, and admire your breed!

Bonnie: I'm a first time owner, and am not involved in the show/breeding scene, so I can't answer many of your questions, but as I live with a desexed female, I thought I'd pop in..

Dakota was desexed at 6 months old, and is now nearly 2.5 y.o. As one of the girls mentioned can be the case, her shedding seasons are all over the place, not clear cut at all. I guess, this could also be related to her age and other factors, like strange Melbourne weather, air con, etc. I'm not sure?

She is a lot smaller than any males I have met/seen, and does indeed have finer features and less coat, however, she is not the smallest female I've met.

I obviously can't discuss season staining, but I can tell you that, yes, females do suffer from urine staining, and can get a bit messy/smelly at that end. Not that it stands out amongst all that hair though! And, like WS said, there are whitening products and good shampoos out there if you want to keep a girl sparkling. It doesn't bother me THAT much, only that we have a lot of carpet inside and if she rushes inside to a noise or something after toileting, sometimes she's still dripping..eeewwww.

Generally, keeping the coat clean, is easy, as the others said, any dirt just falls out when dry, if not, it will brush out easily. I always have people asking 'ooh, did you just wash her?', when she hasn't been washed in months, sometimes she hasn't even had a recent brush. Oh, and I've never had grass stains either, but, if your puppy gets into, hmmm, let me think, concrete paint, or sump oil, or black grease, or their bright purple collar gets wet, you can expect a really pretty lasting stain. :( (No tear staining ever)

Dakota has front dew claws, they have never been caught on anything or caused any trouble, but I don't know a lot about dew claws, so...

Dakota rarely barks at home, only a single guard bark at the front window if someone/dog takes her by surprise, and occasional play barking. She does, however, bark a lot at other dogs playing, especially if there are puppies involved and it looks to be getting a bit rough, I think it's a maternal instinct..lol. She does a bit of 'talking' (woo-wooing), but not much, and I've heard the occasional howl when leaving for work, but I'm on good authority that once I'm gone, it's like we don't have a dog.

As far as I'm aware, male entire Sammies are more likely to try and escape than females, for obvious reasons, but hardly any more than any other dog (they don't have the rep. huskies have for this). I think owners should have a highly secure yard regardless of breed.

When we were researching breeds, we took children into consideration also, as we plan to start a family soonish, and I honestly don't think we could have chosen better. Dakota is marvelous with kids of all ages, and recognises the difference between children's ages. She is interested in and fond of babies, but knows they cannot 'play', she follows toddlers around, but isn't too rough, and with the bigger kids, she knows they are more likely to play with her (she loves them!). I can't wait to see a relationship build between my girl and any future children I may have..

Bonnie: You said you love to sit there and brush away, well, you have chosen well, the Sammy is for you...lol, no seriously though, you will never look back if you get one, and, like all of us, I doubt you will ever be without one on your life once you've had one!

:o

Well said Pip :laugh:

If anyone is interested in Samoyeds books I can highly reccomend the Savvy Samoyed, Pat Hill Goodrich.

Written by breeders and judges is has been one of the best Sammie books I have read so far :(

:laugh: Skyforger Samoyeds!?! WS Did you register a prefix? Does this mean something???....(yay)

:laugh:

Yep, got it approved recently.

No litters just yet, Allie is only just on her first season at the moment but one day we very well might hear the pitta patta of little puppy feet :(

Dammit now I really want one. I love the look of the boys, I'm just more attached to females..

Uhhh. guess we'll see when it comes down teh litter in the future. :D Thanks all.

Please don't mind my 50,000,000,001 questions. :o

:D

Yep, got it approved recently.

No litters just yet, Allie is only just on her first season at the moment but one day we very well might hear the pitta patta of little puppy feet ;)

:o :D :D :clap::cheer::rock::love: ;)

How exciting!

Dammit now I really want one. I love the look of the boys, I'm just more attached to females..

Uhhh. guess we'll see when it comes down teh litter in the future. ;) Thanks all.

Please don't mind my 50,000,000,001 questions. :)

I chose a female mainly because I thought she would be slightly easier to handle physically and temperament wise (being my first Samoyed and first dog of my very own I guess). I maintain that it was the right choice for me, and if I ever got another, it may well be a girl too, I tend to stick with what I know (boring I know), but Bonnie, considering you're an experienced dog owner I think you could easily go either way. I can't say for sure, but I think you will find a male may attach himself to you more closely that a female.

Bring on the questions, I'm sure none of us mind at all! :)

Hi Everyone,

I need some assistance. I am about to purchase my first Samoyed puppy from one of Victorias Registered breeders. The puppy we are getting has one blue eye and one brown. Does anyone have any pictures of adult females with 1 blue 1 brown to see what she will look like when shes older? Also should I be paying pure bred price for this pup seeing I cannot breed or show her in the future? Any info on blue eyed samoyeds would be great.

Thanks