Samoyed

Troy

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It takes me about an hour to completely dry my boy who has a big coat and probably half that time for the puppy or my girl who is naked at the moment with my blower.

You can pick them up on from ebay for about $200 or try you luck in the classified section and you might be able to get a second hand one.

I think using a hand held human dryer it would probably take me about 6 hours to completely dry Bundy and yes they would be too hot :thumbsup:

All my dogs lie down on their sides and also stand to be groomed, so getting tired isn't an issue not matter what their age.

I wouldn't worry about the brown nose, we are babysitting my puppys granddaddy at the moment and he has a permanant brown nose. The nose can be black or brown.

I'm happy the hair dryer works for you Melo ;)

But when I get home from work on a Friday night and have at least three Sammys to wash and dry (5 this week :wave: ) for a show the following day I thank dog for my blower :rofl:

Any 'hot' source of drying will burn a Sammys coat eventually, it may not be as noticable as singing it may just show up as a yellowing or greying or it may be more subtle such as ruining the texture of the coat :)

Thanks for the responses. Lying on the side is a good idea, this is how i have been brushing, but I have visions of having to corner him to get his coat blown dry :thumbsup:

I no longer even own a human hair-dryer, so I might go and check out ebay. A $200 dryer would pay for itself after 3 uses and last time I sent both dogs tp the groomers it cost me $190.

Next question - is there a special dog shampoo to use for Samoyeds? We used to use wool wash on our old lab when I was growing up and I had to do a couple of emergency washes on bunnies once and used wool wash again, but I am sure it isn't really designed for this!

When I first started showing I did use a human dryer briefly to dry my dog who was a puppy at the time on a low heat seating and it took me about two hours. I really couldn't imagine having to dry my dog now with his big coat with anything but a blower, it would take forever :rofl: I don't however have much patience :)

There isn't that much difference in grooming/washing/drying a Sammy for the show ring as opposed to a pet.

I know when I wash, dry and brush my mums Sam who isn't shown it is exactly the same way I wash, dry and brush my own :cheer:

Bernym, if you can find a helper (victim) and just take it slowly you shouldn't have a problem. Start with the blower on very low and use lots of treats and calming words. You could even just start off with just 5 minutes a day on a dry coat until he/she is used to it. This is where a grooming table comes in handy but I used everything from the outdoor table to the kitchen bench when I was starting out ;) :cheer::thumbsup:

Shampoos - I use wool wash on the horses :cheer::laugh: but it would probably make the coat too soft. A friend uses good old Velvet soap but I find with constant washing (every week) the skin becomes quite dry but it is great for a once a monther. So I use a combination of Groomers shampoos - the Royal Jelly and Whitening and Velvet soap. I have been told Plush Puppy products are also great but haven't gotten around to trying them yet.

Now you know you have to post pictures :cheer:

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is probably off topic, but just a chance, at the moment there are 2 desparate samoyeds on the urgent rescue thread of DOL. One at Hawkesbury, a 9yo female surrender on the PTS list for early next week, and a poor young boy at Renbury pound that is in the most disgusting state it would most likely make you people cry.He is also on the PTS list for the next week,

I thought I would post here in the wild off chance that someone may know someone keen on taking on a samoyed not for show but just for a pet.

Sorry, dont flame me for posting here, but I am full and samoyed rescue is closed because of moving. I am desparate

thanks

I know this is probably off topic, but just a chance, at the moment there are 2 desparate samoyeds on the urgent rescue thread of DOL. One at Hawkesbury, a 9yo female surrender on the PTS list for early next week, and a poor young boy at Renbury pound that is in the most disgusting state it would most likely make you people cry.He is also on the PTS list for the next week,

I thought I would post here in the wild off chance that someone may know someone keen on taking on a samoyed not for show but just for a pet.

Sorry, dont flame me for posting here, but I am full and samoyed rescue is closed because of moving. I am desparate

thanks

Hi Saam, any update on what happened to these 2 sammies?

thanks

Hi Saam, any update on what happened to these 2 sammies?

Yes, the renbury girl, as it turned out, has been adopted by a lovely person, seraphina on here, to Port Macquarie and the old girl from HAwkesbury pound is off to Victoria to find a new home, she is being fostered by Sno Paws, So I am very very happy and I know the 2 lovely sams will be too. THe Renbury girl was so matted that they thought she was a boy!! Someone kindly cleaned her up a lot prior to her desexing for her safety and she will be on her way at the end of the week. THe old lady is on her way to the Yarra Valley as I write this,

THankyou for asking and thankyou to all who have helped.

Buster is gorgeous :D

I've got a photo which might be nice to share. I was always interested in how my boy compared to others at the same age, so this might be a bit of an understanding of how a Samoyed pup might grow up.

This is from 5 weeks old

monthbymonth-1.jpg

I tried to reply via PM but your inbox is full! Just out of curiosity, did you get Fletcher from Kalaska Samoyeds? he looks so much like my Zac that I would bet that Fletchers dad was Alex!!!

http://www.kalaska.com/PedigreeofAlex.htm

My Zac:

10431_158238387462_687947462_3524100_2526550_n.jpg