Samoyed

Troy

where south of the river??? there is a dog trainer who has had huskys that does training out of baldivis vet clinic. UM if you are closer to southern river you can go to the training there the spiz club holds training there. there is also Rockingham dog club.

have you had a sammie before? Has your boy got papers and where was he breed? My boy is 1 as well. They are great dogs super super smart but i would say that aren not like huskys LOL. i find sammies are a little easier.

As regards to house training that sucks he has not been trained. do what you would do with a pup :) Also they are smart my boy loves learning stuff. soooo im sure if you do small training sessions a few times a day the basics will come in no time. Good luck sounds like you are in the for a hard but rewarding slog.

Also make sure you dont clip his coat even in summer :) its lots of brushing IF you are not too far im happy to show you how to do it. if you google sammoyed there is HEAPS of info about what they are like temp wise etc.

Hi All!

I just bought a one year old Samoyed and he's super-super-super cute! I think I'm now fully converted to Samoyed lover!

The owner said he's hasn't been in any training yet and he's not house broken. So I'm looking at good obedience course for him. I live in Perth, south of the river area.

Does anyone have recommendation? Trainers with experience with Samoyed/Husky is preferred...

Thanks,

Squee

Edited by TsarsMum

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I live near Freo so Baldivis/Southern River/Rockingham is probably too far for me :( I was looking at dogonit, pet whisperer, getdogged and manners4dogs but I'm not sure which one is the 'best' :) So I'm just wondering whether any of the Samoyed owner have some experience with them or any other trainer :) One of the forum member also mentioned the trainer in the Baldivis Vet Clinic. I'll contact her today.

I never had Sammie before-in fact, this is the first dog that I ever personally buy-Husky is boyfriend's.

The sammie got paper, he's from the breeder in Geraldton, I think the name is SAMOKAA.

And yes, just took him for a walk today with the husky. He's MUCH easier to walk with than an untrained Husky. He doesn't pull that much, the 'excited' stage is much shorter, I'm impressed! And I just melted when he lays down and ask for a tummy rub...so cute...

What brand of shampoo do you use on your Sammie? Do you have any recommended groomer?

Thanks for the info! :)

where south of the river??? there is a dog trainer who has had huskys that does training out of baldivis vet clinic. UM if you are closer to southern river you can go to the training there the spiz club holds training there. there is also Rockingham dog club.

have you had a sammie before? Has your boy got papers and where was he breed? My boy is 1 as well. They are great dogs super super smart but i would say that aren not like huskys LOL. i find sammies are a little easier.

As regards to house training that sucks he has not been trained. do what you would do with a pup :) Also they are smart my boy loves learning stuff. soooo im sure if you do small training sessions a few times a day the basics will come in no time. Good luck sounds like you are in the for a hard but rewarding slog.

Also make sure you dont clip his coat even in summer :) its lots of brushing IF you are not too far im happy to show you how to do it. if you google sammoyed there is HEAPS of info about what they are like temp wise etc.

Hi All!

I just bought a one year old Samoyed and he's super-super-super cute! I think I'm now fully converted to Samoyed lover!

The owner said he's hasn't been in any training yet and he's not house broken. So I'm looking at good obedience course for him. I live in Perth, south of the river area.

Does anyone have recommendation? Trainers with experience with Samoyed/Husky is preferred...

Thanks,

Squee

Cool i looked at them before i got my boy. um goomer I know of a excellent one in oakford. I can get the details for but do not let them near him with clippers lol. There coat goes to crap and will never grow back the same. I just take my boy to better pets and gardens and wash him. But u must brush them out before washing him. If u want I'm in baldivis and can meet u at a park or somethig to show u how to bush him I won't be able to do it but can show u how to. There is a good website that explains how to line brush them. It's not hard to do. I wash my boy like every 6 months lol he gets brushed with baby powder when i get the chance. sammies are great

Cool i looked at them before i got my boy. um goomer I know of a excellent one in oakford. I can get the details for but do not let them near him with clippers lol. There coat goes to crap and will never grow back the same. I just take my boy to better pets and gardens and wash him. But u must brush them out before washing him. If u want I'm in baldivis and can meet u at a park or somethig to show u how to bush him I won't be able to do it but can show u how to. There is a good website that explains how to line brush them. It's not hard to do. I wash my boy like every 6 months lol he gets brushed with baby powder when i get the chance. sammies are great

Where did you get your boy from?

Oakford is a little bit too far away :(

I was looking at the net about brushing sammy and they mentioned brushes with rotating head...have you tried it before? where did you buy it? how bout vacuum cleaner attachment for pets? Have you ever used it on your sammy?

• 1 month later...

We use good old fashioned Velvet soap or Lux soap flakes. Occassionally if they are very grotty or stained I will used a whitening shampoo.

Pet Network have some dog dryers on special for $250 at the moment.

I was looking at the net about brushing sammy and they mentioned brushes with rotating head...have you tried it before? where did you buy it? how bout vacuum cleaner attachment for pets? Have you ever used it on your sammy?

Hi Squee - did you find a trainer ? - We have two Sammies both adopted at 1 and 3 years old and we are taking them to the Spitz training club at Dogswest in Canning Vale on Thursdays ,

How did you go with grooming tools too? Did you get any of the items you mentioned?

I am in the market to buy a dryer if anyone wants to sell one,

Grooming at $100 per dog per session ( which is just really a wash and blow dry)is beyond my budget unfortunately.

I brush them with a large brush then a slicker brush, and if they are not too dirty I give them a "towel bath" a well wrung out towel from hot water rubbed allover then a dry towel

If I have to wash them, its brush first then in my bathtub and then towel dry and walk them on a warmish day with a breeze then use my own hairdryer on

a cool setting.

I would love to hear some recommendations for shampoo that wont irritate their skin and is not full of nasty chemicals

Yeah, tried the one in Hilton. she was ok and is actually working with the vet I go to :) Am thinking of trying out the dog obedience class in Murdoch at the moment actually. It got heaps of good reviews from the people I met in the area when I walk both dogs. Are you looking at obedience training as well?

I bought a furminator. But it doesnt seems to be as it cracked up to be unfortunately :( So i'm still in the search of better tool.

Have you try city farmers or jim's dog wash? City farmers does it for 20$ per dog but it's basically just wash and little bit of drying. There's also a vet clinic in Somerville (Winthrop) that does washing/drying. Washing cost 10$ per dog (I think, cheaper if you bring your own towel) and 30$ for washing and drying. Jim's dog wash just recently started servicing my area so I might give it a go next.

Hi Squee - did you find a trainer ? - We have two Sammies both adopted at 1 and 3 years old and we are taking them to the Spitz training club at Dogswest in Canning Vale on Thursdays ,

How did you go with grooming tools too? Did you get any of the items you mentioned?

I am in the market to buy a dryer if anyone wants to sell one,

Grooming at $100 per dog per session ( which is just really a wash and blow dry)is beyond my budget unfortunately.

I brush them with a large brush then a slicker brush, and if they are not too dirty I give them a "towel bath" a well wrung out towel from hot water rubbed allover then a dry towel

If I have to wash them, its brush first then in my bathtub and then towel dry and walk them on a warmish day with a breeze then use my own hairdryer on

a cool setting.

I would love to hear some recommendations for shampoo that wont irritate their skin and is not full of nasty chemicals

Yeah, tried the one in Hilton. she was ok and is actually working with the vet I go to :) Am thinking of trying out the dog obedience class in Murdoch at the moment actually. It got heaps of good reviews from the people I met in the area when I walk both dogs. Are you looking at obedience training as well?

I bought a furminator. But it doesnt seems to be as it cracked up to be unfortunately :( So i'm still in the search of better tool.

Have you try city farmers or jim's dog wash? City farmers does it for 20$ per dog but it's basically just wash and little bit of drying. There's also a vet clinic in Somerville (Winthrop) that does washing/drying. Washing cost 10$ per dog (I think, cheaper if you bring your own towel) and 30$ for washing and drying. Jim's dog wash just recently started servicing my area so I might give it a go next.

Furminators dont work on a Samoyed coat.

The best tools you can use are a wide toothed comb, a slicker brush and a pin brush

Hey Everyone!! I'm baaaack!!! :cheer:

Just to give you an update. Simba is now 4yrs of age, will be 5 on 14th August this year.

I am pleased to say that he no longer limps on his front legs or has any joint problems at all. :happydance2:

He is very healthy and happy. :happydance:

I have recently being teaching him to hold a pamphlet in his mouth as the first step, he then needs to put it into a wastepaper basket, then the distance is progressively increased. He made real progress today when he held the pamphlet, took it outside and dropped it. I was so happy and proud of him I gave him loads of praise!! :happydance2:

All of your Sammies are gorgoeus by the way! :heart:

Here are some pics of Simba you may not have seen

post-33629-0-72548100-1312288670_thumb.jpg

post-33629-0-41124300-1312288703_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

I am needing some good NSW breeder recommendations as I really don't know who to go with anymore. PM me if you don't feel comfortable discussing it here.