Samoyed

Troy

Hi

I'm having problem with my samoyed now :( He's been biting my husky recently...it always happen when my sister patting him and the husky approached. I think he's going for the dominance and starting to develop a major posessiveness :(

Anyone got similar problem?

How do you guys handle it?

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack the thread, I have been reading through all the pages about all your gorgeous sammys.

I have been writing to breeders about if there are any planned litters for mid 2012, however haven't heard back (apart from icemist... thank you!). I know a few of you are breeders here, and have beautiful samoyeds (alot of champions - congrats x).

I would love to talk to you, so if you are planning a litter for mid 2012 PM me please :)

A question for everyone in here that had a little pup sent over from interstate, how did you find it not meeting the pup before bringing it into his/her forever home? I have always wanted to meet the litter first and then find the pup I most connected with (this is what I did previously with my gorgeous collie) but it seems like more and more people are getting their bundles of joy this way. It is something I am considering, there are so many gorgeous sammys interstate!

Edited by Christineshadow

A question for everyone in here that had a little pup sent over from interstate, how did you find it not meeting the pup before bringing it into his/her forever home? I have always wanted to meet the litter first and then find the pup I most connected with (this is what I did previously with my gorgeous collie) but it seems like more and more people are getting their bundles of joy this way. It is something I am considering, there are so many gorgeous sammys interstate!

We flew Wilbur from Ballarat to Adelaide back in August. We were purchasing a pet not a show quality dog so as long as there were no major health issues/temperament issues we weren't concerned. I chose our breeder for dog health screening results first and an ability to develop a relationship with me second. So, by the time Wilbur came home I 'knew' Wilbur reasonably well through the breeders continued emails and numerous weekly photos. The breeder was open about Wilbur's overshot jaw which was discovered at his 6 week vet check. We couldn't get over to Ballarat to meet the litter, but at the end of the day it wouldn't have made much difference. We wanted a boy and Wilbur ended up being the only boy in the litter...unless there was something dire that was wrong with him, we had committed to him from the night he was born when we got the email that we were 'proud parents to a little boy puppy'.

had we been looking for a show quality dog, we may have gone about it a little differently; going to see the litter etc.

We went and visited our last lab when he was still with the litter and then chose him. This was very different to the way it occurred with Wilbur. I don't think my bond with Casper ( or Keiran before Casper) was stronger than with Wilbur. I actually think my bond with Wilbur is the strongest I've ever had with a dog. I think it has to do with a few reasons. Firstly, I no longer have young children to compete for my time. Wilbur is the centre of our household :laugh: I have spent way more time training Wilbur and i think our developing communication is better than i had with our previous dogs. I'm a lot older and wiser thanks to having raised children & studying child development etc and these skills are used constantly with raising Wilbur. Additionally I have spent a lot more time researching training methods and Wilbur and i are going to obedience which is something i didn't do with previous dogs.

My experience leads me to believe that it is the environment in which you raise the dog that is the most important factor regarding bonding rather than a perhaps perceived connection with a pup. Puppies starting their lives with excellent breeders who deeply care about their physical and emotional well being are generally sound and happy. The environment that the forever owner provides is also important in the dogs willingness and ability to bond.

Perhaps we were lucky in that we felt very connected to Wilbur from the moment he was born. We were very much kept informed about his progress etc. When we picked him up from the freight company I was already in love and that was enough for the bond to continue to develop. Every night after the family have gone to sleep, Wilbur gets to have a cuddle/snooze with me on the lounge; every night i look into his hazel eyes and tell him how much i love him. He has been the balm that soothed my very sad heavy heart after saying goodbye to Casper in May. For that alone, i love him beyond measure :love: :love: :love:

Edited by suziwong66

Suzi, I am very very sorry to hear about Casper - he was a beautiful boy you can tell by his eyes a very friendly and happy boy too. That pain never goes away... I lost my gorgeous collie (the beautiful boy in my picture) in august.

We are lucky to get to share our lives with such beautiful animals.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that. I guess my main concern was the communication aspect, I would want updates constantly from the time the baby is born and it seems like your breeder was amazing with this! (Would you mind PM'ing his/her details?).

It's also so nice to hear the connection was there as soon as the pup was born, I am sure I would feel the same way to be honest.

After yrs of loving this breed and research I just know a little baby boy would be perfect to welcome into my partner and my life.

No dog will ever replace Shadow, but they can enrich another part of my life. They are such special gifts.

I just believe samoyeds (as I am sure all of you do) are beautiful not just on the outside but on the inside. Every one I have met has just been so placid yet friendly, perfect qualities as far as I am concerned (I know they all have differing personalities though)!

Look forward to hearing from more lovely sammy owners. Thanks again Suzi, much appreciated.

Suzi, I am very very sorry to hear about Casper - he was a beautiful boy you can tell by his eyes a very friendly and happy boy too. That pain never goes away... I lost my gorgeous collie (the beautiful boy in my picture) in august.

We are lucky to get to share our lives with such beautiful animals.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that. I guess my main concern was the communication aspect, I would want updates constantly from the time the baby is born and it seems like your breeder was amazing with this! (Would you mind PM'ing his/her details?).

It's also so nice to hear the connection was there as soon as the pup was born, I am sure I would feel the same way to be honest.

After yrs of loving this breed and research I just know a little baby boy would be perfect to welcome into my partner and my life.

No dog will ever replace Shadow, but they can enrich another part of my life. They are such special gifts.

I just believe samoyeds (as I am sure all of you do) are beautiful not just on the outside but on the inside. Every one I have met has just been so placid yet friendly, perfect qualities as far as I am concerned (I know they all have differing personalities though)!

Look forward to hearing from more lovely sammy owners. Thanks again Suzi, much appreciated.

Wilbur's breeder only breeds chocolate labradors not Samoyeds; sorry to disappoint :( Re communication, i spoke to our breeder about two weeks before the litter was born. I had a very long telephone conversation with her to try and get a feel for her. Just as she was looking for certain aspects for future puppy owners, i was searching for good open communication and a friendly personality from the breeder. I spoke to a few other breeders prior to finding Ruth, but i didn't get the feeling that they were right for me and thus didn't put my name on their lists. I didn't speak to another breeder after finding Ruth. I just put my name on her list for a boy and then just waited to see what happened. As it happened Wilbur was the only boy in the litter and Ruth was happy for him to come to us. We are so grateful. I gave her the link to my YouTube channel so she can watch regular updates on Wilbur's growth & development without having to email all the time. I keep her updated with the milestones etc and she emails when it suits to let me know if she's watched his videos etc. I really appreciate and value the relationship and i believe it's in Wilbur's best interest that we have an ongoing relationship.

Good luck, i hope you find what you're looking for. :D

hey I have a lovely samoyed boy. but please dont think they are all lovely and plasid etc etc. mine is not he is HARD WORK. he tests me all the time he is a challange he is hyper he is SUPER smart and you can undo all training with him in 5 seconds. He is good with kids but must be watched he cant be trusted. He has challenged us more then once and has moods where i just wont deal with him til they pass.

BUT i still love him. He is who he is.

He can stop eating and decide that he wont like what im feeding him for weeks on end. and its ALWAYS a battle of the wills. They are not like any dog you have owned before.

My boy we call the people slut he loves going out and meeting other people and will choose people over dogs. but at home he is hard work.

I read so much saying how wonderful family dogs they are but they are alot of hard work to get them there.

As a pup my boy was sooo good and he has got worse as he has gotten older. he is only just over one now LOL but he is starting to get good again.

Your boy sounds like a character :) In a good way... my boy was quite the diva at times.

I understand that all dogs have different personalities, and definitely take a lot of work to make them into well rounded dogs.

I had a collie, and while he was one of the most intelligent dogs it took training.

I see what you're saying though :) It takes patience and every dog is different.

Personally I wouldn't leave my children unattended at any time with a dog, until they were at a certain age (but that's just me!).

It is good to know on a whole though that samoyeds do exhibit these characteristics more often than not eg. they do not tend to be aggressive, but again this is because of good owners that look after their dogs.

TsarsMum would love to see a pic of your boy

Which is why it so important to only get a puppy from a registered 'ethical' breeder.

Christine we should have a very, very special litter due about August of next year and possibly one due at the start of the year.

Unfortunately puppy buyers aren't allowed to choose their puppy, puppies need to be matched to the family they are going to and this isn't something you can do at birth or even a few weeks of age.

I would be very wary of a breeder that allows you to pick your own puppy.

Edited by SnoPaws

Sorry to hijack the thread, I have been reading through all the pages about all your gorgeous sammys.

I have been writing to breeders about if there are any planned litters for mid 2012, however haven't heard back (apart from icemist... thank you!). I know a few of you are breeders here, and have beautiful samoyeds (alot of champions - congrats x).

I would love to talk to you, so if you are planning a litter for mid 2012 PM me please :)

I replied to you on the 9th Christine.

Just give breeders some time to reply, a lot of them show and dont check email often.

Or you could try calling them.

Omg bjelkier, my apologies! You did so :) Thank you so much, I emailed all your breeder recommendations. You have gorgeous samoyeds, absolutely stunning!

Since I wrote on this forum, I have had a few breeders contacting me. I think I am just so eager and excited!

Snopaws. It has been quite some time since looking for a puppy, I was quite young also (my 15 yr old collie passed away a few months back :( ), so was not sure how the puppy is placed with their owner.

It does make sense though, the breeder knows best! You have also been around the litter from their first breath, and would know better than anyone the perfect match.

All I know is I am looking for breeders who have great bloodlines, registered and have been doing it for a while. I want my puppy to have the best chance at life, and be around for as long as possible. I know that obviously there is no definites in terms of health as things do happen beyond anyone's control, but at least you know your chances are lessened! I will PM you snopaws about the litters you have mentioned!

You have all been so fantastic, thank you :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone :)

New member here...Just thought i would pop in and say hi to fellow samoyed owners. Im the proud owner of my precious Bobby who just turned one 2 days ago :) Btw all your pups look amazing and im glad to be part of such a vast group who share the same passion in the breed as i do

Edited by Bobby_The_Samoyed

Welcome!

Happy birthday for the other day Bobby :D

Here's the link to the Samoyed and Japanese Spitz owners thread- heaps of pics and funny stories there :).

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/221234-japanese-spitz-and-samoyed-thread/page__st__2580

Haha thank you DogNerd :) Ive been trawling the site for a while before i joined, ill definetely have a look at that thread :)

• 2 months later...

Good Morning,

If I may I'll hijack/bring some life the thread for a moment. (Most of the action seems to be going on in the Japensese Spitz / Sammy thread)

For many years now I have wanted a dog of my own. Though living at home, going through school, work and other commitments I didn't have time or money to look after puppy.

However, now that I am Older and Wiser, Richer (I wish) ;) and recently moved out of home, I've got into the swing of things after the move and now have the opportunity and am ready to bring a puppy into my life.

Over the last few months I've been slowing going through the forums reading up on Samoyeds as much as possible and have my mind set on one.

Regrettably, I didn't sign up to the forums earlier in search for a pup, as I wasn't planning on moving out as early as I have, plus I didn't think it would be this hard to find.

Obviously there are a several breeders apart of this forum and ideally I would purchase a puppy from one that is engaged with the Samoyed community, ofoucrse a registered Ethical breeder. Given the benifit of all the hard work, love and care put in to produce puppies that are healthy and have the best chance of a long lived, happy life.

I've emailed Icemist as I'm aware he is within the region of Canberra, however what has been only a few days seems like a lifetime waiting for a reply.

I'm looking for a male puppy, willing to travel to pick him up, is it a good idea to ship them like a parcel? I'm not exactly sure how that system works :S

The only listing I've found (apart from dogzonline) is http://www.allclassifieds.com.au/ac/display-ad?cid=123247585, has anyone heard of the breeders before?

I would love to hear from anyone that could help me get in contact with breeders with puppies that are ready for a new home or will be ready soon (though I'm not sure how realistic my expectations are.)

Thanks, Jonny

P.S I'll be watching my email like a Hawk =P

Hi Jonny.

I would be wary of the all classifieds add, sounds like a puppy farmer or BYB to me.

The last thing you want to do is rush into getting a puppy from a dodgy place. I know its hard waiting for a puppy from a good breeder (believe me I've been waiting 2 years for my next girl!) but you will be much better off if you do :)

Have a good look at the breeders on the DOL listings. Although most arn't near Canberra it would be worth contacting them and talking about upcoming litters.

If you want breeders within easy driving range I'd be looking at Sydney with Apolar, Anaky and Arcticlight, all three have lovely dogs.

Good luck finding your puppy :)

Edited by Bjelkier