Samoyed

Troy

What kind of sun protection does the dog need? I know the coat offers good protection, but what about around the face and paws where the coat is thinner? Should I be applying dog sunscreen to these areas during the summer?

I don't use any sun protection on my dogs but they have access to shade or are inside. There is a coat sunscreen you can get from Plush Puppy that some people use but I don't really think it's required provided the dog has enough shade.

Is a cooling coat a stupid idea? Would it just make the dog feel hotter since the coat has its own way of repelling sunlight?

It's not something I'd use on my dogs. You'd be better off getting a cool matt for the dog to sleep on, a fan on the floor and a clam shell pool so they can have a dip if they'd like.

Do they enjoy swimming, or do their heavy coats make them feel vulnerable to sinking in water? I'd love to teach my puppy to swim over the summer as I enjoy it and I thought the water would help to keep the pup cool, but I'd want to make sure it would be a fun experience.

My dogs enjoy the water but I think it would depend on the lines and the dog itself as to whether it would like to swim or not. My two older dogs (Cousins) enjoy a splash in the paddling pool but neither enjoyed actually swimming. The youngest three (all have the same mother and not related to the eldest two)are impossible to keep out of the water, they love it.

Is it worth investing in one of those cool-air dryers that the groomers use, or would I be better to take the dog to a groomer to help when they shed the woolly undercoat? If taking the dog to the groomer, what should I do to ensure the dog won't be terrified of the dryer? Can I use a no-heat hairdryer to get the puppy used to the sound and sensation?

I recommend all my puppy buyers to get a good dryer. It will save you money in the long run and you will use it every time you bath the dog. Towels just don't cut it when it comes to drying the coat and you can't leave them damp. I use mine a lot on wet days t make sure the dogs don't get hot spots.

The breeder should be starting to get the puppy use to the dryer before it leaves and it's then up to you to continue using it to get puppy use to the feel and sound.

My dog will be indoors when I'm gone, but is likely to never be alone more than 2-4 hours of any day, as even when I'm gone, others are home. We have a large, fenced in backyard, but I don't want to leave the dog alone there because I know they are clever and intelligent, and since there's a lot of interesting wildlife around, would probably get into mischief. If the dog is alone in the house, it has my room where its belongings and crate will be, with water and airconditioning. Is this an appropriate set up?

It could work provided you train the dog to be happy with that kind of set up. Mine are all locked in runs when I go out but I have stock fencing and I wouldn't trust them to not get out but a number of my puppy people have good fencing and their dogs stay out in the yard all day.

All puppies get up to mischief and I've accepted that at least one of my belongings will be sacrificed in the name of teething. What kind of things can I give my pup to distract them and satiate their desire for chewing? I have kongs, chewey bones, soft toys, tug ropes and I give them big marrow bones as well. They also love plastic bottles and cardboard to rip up.

But be very careful with things they could swallow. Samoyeds are well known for eating things they shouldn't and getting blockages. I lost my eldest boy to a blockage at the beginning of the year so be very careful.

The breeder I'm speaking with has not mentioned anything about the dogs being desexed before they leave (of course, it will be on the limited register, vaccinated, wormed and all those good things) but I have made it very clear in our correspondence that I am going to desex the dog so he may not have felt the need to clarify his terms. What is the general consensus of desexing at a young age (under 6 months) among samoyed breeders? I know that some breeds can grow up abnormally when this operation is conducted too young. And if it is bad for the dog, at what age do I need to get it done? I cannot handle a litter, and I do not want to put a dog at risk by letting it either run after females or be approached by males. Not on.

Desexing a Samoyed that young is not something I would be comfortable doing and I can't say I know anyone personally who does it either however I can't say if it's the wrong or right way to go. Every breeder is different. I recommend that my puppy people get their dogs done at 6 months at the earliest.

What about the diet? I've heard they don't eat much for their size, but I've heard they can be finicky. How do you offer your dog variety whilst maintaining a balanced diet?

Dante my eldest boy, gets 2.5 cups of dry a day and he's almost 2. But when he was growing he was eating close to 4 cups a day. My eldest bitch get 1.5 cups of dry a day and she's 4.

They will eat a decent amount more while they grow.

I'm leaning more towards a male at this point, admittedly, as I'm used to male dogs. But the breeder will be the better judge of which pup has the best temperament for my needs, that I know. So what are the pros and cons of male and female samoyeds?

I like males more myself but I've always had boys. Males Samoyeds tend to be bigger,stronger, heavier, sookier and all my boys have been major cuddle monsters.

Girls are a little more independent and smaller. Their coats don't generally need as much work either. Otherwise both sexes are pretty similar.

Which tests should have been carried out on the pups or their parents by the breeder? I believe they're hip and elbow scored? Does anything else need to be done?

Hips, elbows and eyes are the most common tests done now.

Right, I think I got them all :laugh:

Edited by Bjelkier

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bjelkier - those answers are exactly what I needed, amazing. Thank you :)

I guess I better start looking into buying a proper dryer. I'm not sure where to begin looking in Victoria though, any ideas?

I was thinking about getting a child's clam shell (with a shade) with one side water and the other sand to keep the pup busy. We don't have a fancy garden, so digging isn't going to be a big issue, but I thought encouraging the dog to dig in their own special pit might be a good idea. Glad to hear a water pool goes down well too :)

I'll keep that in mind about a growing dog, for sure. I'll be getting advice regarding healthy weights at certain ages, but how often should I be taking a pup to the vet to ensure that the little one is progressing well?

I thought early desexing might be a bad idea, primarily because of the coat and the fact that dogs of their size and weight are prone to hip issues without throwing abnormal growth in there as a factor. I'll definitely get the breeder's opinion on this too, to respect the contract, but I won't ruin a dog's future if all I have to do is keep a closer eye on him in public spaces and with playmates until he's the right age.

A good friend of mine had an operation performed on her irish wolfhound because he swallowed something and it got stuck. Very scary stuff. I'll be trying to get toys that aren't small enough to swallow and can't be destroyed easily. I'll also be doing a "puppy eye view" of my house before I pick the dog up to see what he might encounter (planning to cover cables, removed all chemicals from low cupboards, make sure there are no poisonous plants and such).

I've already started investigating a cool mat, which is excellent. If I am fortunate enough that the right puppy is in an upcoming litter with the breeder I'm speaking to, then the pup will arrive home with me in January. So I want to be sure it can beat the heat.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Oh. And am I better off buying a round collar to protect the fur around the neck? He/she will be walked on a harness, but a collar with details is a precaution I'd prefer to take. :)

Edited by Ruin Maniac

We will be at "The Park" (Skye) on Saturday evening and on Sunday with 4 Samoyeds and at Sunbury the following Monday and Cup Day with 10 or 11 if you want to come and say hi :)

Sunbury usually attracts an entry of 50+ Samoyeds if you would like to talk to a variety of breeders and exhibitors.

Oh my goodness, that sounds delightful! :D

I actually have cup day free from exams, because our lecturer is a kind soul at heart, so I think I can make it to the event. And thank you, by the way. I can't get over how lovely and willing to help everyone is. The dog community is one I should have found much sooner.

So much to answer and I'm busy but on the swimming thing I avoid it because being a double-coated breed their undercoats easily can mat and tangle.

If they do get wet you always have to make sure they are absolutely and thoroughly dry or else the samoyed might get skin conditions.

So much to answer and I'm busy but on the swimming thing I avoid it because being a double-coated breed their undercoats easily can mat and tangle.

If they do get wet you always have to make sure they are absolutely and thoroughly dry or else the samoyed might get skin conditions.

They shouldn't matt that easily from a swim. The coat will only matt if the dogs not well groomed in the first place and when they get wet it will make a mat worse and harder to remove.

If you thoroughly groom the dog with a wide tooth comb every couple of days you wont have a problem.

Mine go swimming all the time and we've never had a mat or a tangle

Edited by Bjelkier

Thanks for the input, everyone :)

I've downloaded the puppy manual from the Samoyed club of Victoria and watched a few videos, including grooming instructions, about Samoyed care. I also have a list of other resources to browse through when my exams are done. Good thing I love my research and reading, I guess. :laugh:

Out of pure curiosity, I know that white, cream and partial-biscuit (... that sounds strange, doesn't it? Like half an arnotts) are accepted within the breed standard in Australia. How likely is it that a pup bred here, from mostly Australian/NZ lineage will produce a biscuit pup? I also read on some sites, the reliability of which I can't confirm, that Samoyeds can appear in black, but I can't find any more reliable information. Is that possible or was this something that appeared when the lines were far closer to the original dogs of the Samoyed people?

Just to clarify, it isn't that I want one specifically. I trust breeders to know what to breed for :)

Edited by Ruin Maniac

Thanks for the input, everyone :)

I've downloaded the puppy manual from the Samoyed club of Victoria and watched a few videos, including grooming instructions, about Samoyed care. I also have a list of other resources to browse through when my exams are done. Good thing I love my research and reading, I guess. :laugh:

Out of pure curiosity, I know that white, cream and partial-biscuit (... that sounds strange, doesn't it? Like half an arnotts) are accepted within the breed standard in Australia. How likely is it that a pup bred here, from mostly Australian/NZ lineage will produce a biscuit pup? I also read on some sites, the reliability of which I can't confirm, that Samoyeds can appear in black, but I can't find any more reliable information. Is that possible or was this something that appeared when the lines were far closer to the original dogs of the Samoyed people?

Just to clarify, it isn't that I want one specifically. I trust breeders to know what to breed for :)

Biscuit can be a hard one to predict (as often it comes in as the dog ages) although you know you have a better chance with some lines then others.

For example Dante is from a mix of older Australian/Finnish/French lines. His litter of 6 boys were a bit of an oddity in that they were born with biscuit markings but we knew we'd have a good shot at colour with his litter, his father Pan is from a line of bright biscuit ears (Anaky kennel) and his mother Matilda is cream and white herself and her father is a biscuit and white dog (his grandfather Anatina Voyage Voyage is quite darkly marked as well).

In a whole litter of biscuit and white and cream and biscuit dogs Dante is almost pure white with only the tiniest little bit of cream behind his ears.

6897495620_016a8ba810.jpg

(L - R Jack, Freddy & Dante)

I don't know how well it will show up but can you see how much more white Dante is then the others? They were all bathed and squeaky clean so it's not dirt you're seeing)

Where as my latest litter I used Matilda again and Manny who is white but I got a very dark litter again. My boy Beowulf is very heavily marked biscuit and white as are Lexie and Stoli, his sister Daenerys is cream and white and Skeeter is pure white. :laugh:

So as you can see it can be a bit of a mixed bag. Best bet is to have a look at the dogs behind the one your getting and speak to the breeder. Some lines are more prone to colour though, if you went with Kalaska, Lunasea, Apolar or Anaky you'd get a good shot at biscuit. And maybe Aldonza but Snopaws would have to confirm that one.

As for Samoyeds coming in black there was one well known dog in history that was black but this is going way back to the beginning of the breed in England. I have seen one black and white dog overseas so it can happen but it's very very rare. Most Samoyeds do have the odd black hair though.

From what I have read the Kiilburn Scotts (who brought the breed to England) choose the lighter coloured dogs as the black and white would sometimes throw mongrel traits and it was suggested they might not be as pure.

Edited by Bjelkier

All Samoyeds have one black hair, it can be hard to find but it will be there but yes there have been no black samoyeds for a long time.

The colors are 'white', 'cream' & 'white & biscuit'.

Kato is biscuit and white, he has biscuit rimmed ears, a large spot on his side and as he is getting older more biscuit through his ruff. His brother Telly & Rider and mother Chez are also biscuit and white. Chez is the mother of Pan who is the sire of the litter above including Bjels Dante.

Some of the Airebis dogs are also heavily biscuit shaded.

Bundy swims all the time and I don't have a problem with matts or tangles, I have more of a problem with keeping him out of the bloody water. Kami and Fergus have no interest in water at all, Kato loves the wading pool, usually at about 3 o'clock in the morning in the middle of winter when it is -2 and the puppies are also discovering the joy of the wading pool and swimming in the water bowls. It depends entirely on the dog.

Bjelkier - Dante is such a handsome lad. He really is shock-white and stunning! :)

Though I do like the biscuit markings in the pups from the litter. I think it frames their faces very nicely and emphasises their features. Does it only get darker as they grow older?

Though I suppose there's never been such a thing as a samoyed that isn't beautiful, colour makes no difference to the silhouette, stature and smiling faces.

Speaking of, SnoPaws, I really am looking forward to making it out for the Sunbury show. I couldn't find information on the site about a spectators entry fee, should I just pay at the gate? And should I be arriving early, or might that be a nuisance to the contestants getting set up (since I'll probably be watching mesmerized!)

I think I'll go with my shell pool plan for the young pup, half water and half sand, and see how they go with the water. If they enjoy it, I'll have a shot at taking them to the beach later.

Only one assessment to go! Goodness, and I'm getting distracted by sourcing information and places to get supplies online and nearby! I should procrastinate less :laugh:

Thanks again everybody for posting.

Edited by Ruin Maniac

There is no entry fee ;)

Judging starts at 8, we only have Mals and Dobes before us so we will be on by 9ish, however this show usually attracts an entry of over 50 Samoyeds so juding of just the Samoyeds will take a good hour. I am hoping to get there about 6 or 7 :eek:

Maybe bring a chair, if you ask any of the Samoyed exhibitors where Jenny is they will be able to point me out.

I have six dogs to get ready and will be having a small break down, lol, so I won't be able to talk to you much before judging.

My guys love the clam pool.

Biscuit it depends, Kami had biscuit ears as a bubba but is now pure white, Kato had biscuit ears and a great big spot on his side, as he gets older he is getting alot of biscuit through his ruff.

Alright, I'll be up bright and early then. I'm happy to wander and observe for a while and I love all breeds so I might keep an eye on the ring here and there before the sammies are up. I'll definitely wait until after judging before asking any questions as I don't want to distract the competitors (pups and owners!), but if there's grooming apparatus I'll probably be taking note of what's there and how it's used (but from a respectful distance). :)

After that, assuming everything is good and well (stress is totally understandable with 6 dogs to work with), I'd be thrilled to speak with you!

I find that interesting about the biscuit either dominating or receding from the coat with age. I did a study in one of my electives recently involving genetics in local cat populations and how different colours express themselves geno and phenotypically. Makes me want to look into the genetics of the breed... good thing this semester's nearly over now. :laugh:

Urgh, you know I'm not a local sometimes.

I don't have access to a car tomorrow, so was planning on taking PT. I forgot when I planned my trip that the train schedule changes on public holidays. Nothing leaves from where I am until 8:30 and the wonky schedule has made the trip 2 hours and 20 minutes long :(

Everyone wants to get somewhere, but nobody wants to work, I suppose.

EDIT: Asked around and a few friends of mine said they'd love to go, so we now have a vehicle. :thumbsup:

EDIT 2:

Went to the show! It was an extremely interesting experience as I'd never been to one before (note to self: formal dress not necessary for visitors, people thought we were nuts :rofl: ). There must have been well over 200 exhibitors there, and so many dogs I couldn't count all the breeds.

The atmosphere was very tense to begin with, as everyone was getting ready. I'm not sure if there's always a "rush" before a show, and especially at a big event such as this one, but I almost wanted to ask if the traffic had been bad that morning as almost everyone was running around, bringing dogs and supplies back and forth from their cars. But we tried not to impose, as we realised very quickly just how much effort is put into preparation. My friend who I travelled with was a little anxious, with both of us having not the slightest clue about the etiquette and the fact that we wished we could have helped people out but wouldn't have known where to begin didn't help :laugh:

But we both settled down once the competition began.

The show ring was spectacular. Despite not knowing precisely what to look for, in general and by breed, we did see some splendid examples of dogs. The samoyeds we enjoyed especially because the exhibitors appeared as if they were enjoying themselves a lot more than with other breeds in different rings. I wasn't sure whether or not this was related to the method in which they handled their dogs, with some dogs we observed being known for their strong wills and physical power, or because their smiles are infectious. We had to stop ourselves from analysing what was going on, being total amateurs, so we sat back and enjoyed the show from the grass. Until the rain, that is. :)

I'd like to thank you, Jenny, for introducing us to the lovely ladies of Airebis and their dogs. We learned a lot about the breed and had the pleasure of learning more about dogs who tie in to the Kimskova bloodlines. Personality appears to carry down the family tree! I'd also like to thank you for exhibiting and, while (again) we didn't have much of an idea of how things are done, we thought your dogs were marvellous and that you also looked fantastic out there with them (and I STILL want that skirt suit)!

I'm not sure how well I'd cope with exhibiting myself, but I definitely have a much greater appreciation for and admiration of people who do after this event. :)

Edited by Ruin Maniac

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, joining this part of the forum :) I have made a post in the new introductions, but we are awaiting our pup to come home to us (only born on thursday) so early days, hopefully all will go well and the pups are healthy and well and also their mum :)

We have shared our homes with samoyeds before in the UK before we moved to australia, so know what to expect.

So hi to you all..

Edited by fairystar