Samoyed

Troy

I too bought a Sammy recently..

Best decision ever, I love the little guy he is such a good dog and I must say the breed is fantastic...

I too bought a Sammy recently..

Best decision ever, I love the little guy he is such a good dog and I must say the breed is fantastic...

Congrats finalflash!

I definitely am glad I picked a sammy, he's utterly gorgeous and so mild mannered! We are currently working through our obedience training, and seems to be going ok so far!

Welcome as new samoyed owners. I only have 2 pieces of advice.

1. Give all black clothing to St.Vinnies.

2. Buy a Dyson

:bolt:

These are wonderful dogs. I hope they give you many happy years.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys,

hope to get a Samoyed soon, but it's hard to find a breeder with puppies available.

My question - I notice that you've mentioned that girl Samoyeds shed their hair twice a year vs one for the boys. Does this mean twice as much hair in the carpets/twice as much grooming?

Cheers!

Hi,

I wouldn't say really any excess grooming as grooming should be done regularly, as the dog will not drop their coat in one sitting. It will usually take a couple of weeks for a full drop, so you would take out bit by bit as they drop.

As for the hair in the house, Samoyed hair is just a part of life. There will always be hair in the house, even in rooms that the dog has never been. The hair usually sticks and gets carried around. In rooms, on clothes, furnture etc. Its just a part of having a Sammy.

So there's no real difference in the volume of hair dropped by girl or boy Sams?

Cheers :)

Size of coat comes down to the individual dog and their coat. Most males have a bigger coats than females, but you will also have some bitches with a bigger coat than some males. So it all depends on the individual dog. To me when they drop coat, it comes out, I don't measure volume, it just all needs to come out so there is no difference to me as it needs to be done, But basically with regular grooming especially during these periods, it will not matter wether it is a dog or a bitch, you still will need to pull coat out, but it will be over a couple or few weeks. And you will find hair everywhere.

So to me, theirs no real difference as I need to spend the time grooming, at any stage of their life.

Hey Kelza,

Cool sammy pics! They are gorgeous!!! :)

Just letting everyone know Simba is feeling heaps better :laugh:

No more limping! I'm still going to take him to Ian Bistrup - chiropractor.

To see if his shoulders are ok. Swimming, bowen therapy etc.....

Thanks to everyone on DOL for their advice and concern :thumbsup:

I can't wait to see all you guys at the August Sammy Championship!!

I'll bring Simba along, too. :laugh:

Cheers,

XXToughgirlXXxxxxx

Hey guys,

Here's my sammies: Pudding (left) and Barney (right)

Hi Spirrall,

Welcome.

Great to see barney and pudding, Barney's looking like he is coming into some coat. Give him a big cuddle from me.

Sure will. Yes, he's nice and warm and getting ready to make me snug during the cold winter.

Hi all.

I'm looking to get a new samoyed puppy for the family and I've been contacting a few breeders recently.

Of course i want a happy and healthy puppy, but I'm a little confused over what the hip scores mean. I know that zero is perfect but how high is acceptable?

For example, for the litter I am considering, the dam has hip scores of R4 L1. The sire simply has "good" hips.

Is this score good or bad? I know nothing is guaranteed, but what scores are considered good and what bad?

Thanks.

I believe 16.5 is the breed average now. This is the total score of both hips.

The bitch you spoke of would have a score of 5, so thats pretty good. As for the dog, did you get the actual score or did the breeder just say good?

If it were me I would be wanting to see those scores!

The breeder just told me "good" for the sire when I talked to them over the phone. He is also imported from canada if that makes any difference. I'll ask for the scores when I go down to see the puppies.

Should I be looking for hip scores of 0? Or is this unrealistic.

The breeder just told me "good" for the sire when I talked to them over the phone. He is also imported from canada if that makes any difference. I'll ask for the scores when I go down to see the puppies.

I don't know that zero is unrealistic but it dosn't happen all that often.

At this stage I would be going for as low as possible.

As for the dog being imported it is possible the scoring system is different in Canada, but the breeder should be able to talk you through it.

EDT, having a brain dead moment :rofl:

Edited by Wolfsong

Hi,

Zero hip scores are rare in this breed, only maybe 4 or 5 dogs are known to have this score. So this is unrealistic.

A score of 5 is very good IMO and I would be checking more into the dogs scores, and getting an actual score instead of Good.

WS is correct in saying the average is 16.5 and would look at a max around this score, pending on what you are looking to do with the puppy.

I am aware of what I beleive is the only current Canadian Iimport in this country, down in VIC.

The sire of the dog is one of my fav's, and had a chance at one stage to bring in a puppy or semen from him, but was always scepticual on how the lines mixed with Australian lines. It would be interesting to see photos of the puppy if you get one.

I am aware of what I beleive is the only current Canadian Iimport in this country, down in VIC.

The sire of the dog is one of my fav's, and had a chance at one stage to bring in a puppy or semen from him, but was always scepticual on how the lines mixed with Australian lines. It would be interesting to see photos of the puppy if you get one.

Yes the breeder is snocozy in vic. According to their website it looks like the canadian dog has already sired previous litters and you can see pics of the puppies on their website. Of course I'll post pics of my puppy if/when I get him :)