Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

Troy

Would you recommend these guys for agility comps?

I have done agility trials with all my older kids and they are all masters titled.

A fast BC will beat a toller, however, tollers can certainly be competitive. biggrin.gif

I have done agility trials with all my older kids and they are all masters titled.

A fast BC will beat a toller, however, tollers can certainly be competitive. biggrin.gif

Are thy steadier than bc's? I'm steering away from a bc's because they are or can be so neurotic!

Are thy steadier than bc's? I'm steering away from a bc's because they are or can be so neurotic!

LOL I tell everybody that a toller isn't as neurotic as a BC! but that's in everyday life.

Have you done a search on Youtube for tollers doing agility? I am not sure if I have any clips on my website......

• 1 month later...

4. What is the average lifespan?

12-14 years

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

Depends on the lines and dog. My two are completely different, and Nova I would say no, Darcy yes. Nova is confident, cocky, dominant and has the "whats in it for me?" attitude. Darcy is calm, submissive, eager to please and just generally a really good and easy dog to own.

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

Tollers are a fairly hardy breed, I haven't had any problems with either of mine but given the small gene pool, things do crop up every now and again. Things to watch out for:

PRA

Hip dysplasia

Addisons Disease

Allergies

Immune related problems

Attached are vitals from the Finnish Kennel Club database.

See http://jalostus.kennelliitto.fi/frmTerveystilastot.aspx?R=312&Lang=en

post-8994-0-41468500-1373488389_thumb.jpg

(Finland may seem like an odd place to go for stats, but it seems to be the only kennel club in the world that keeps and publishes mortality statistics for registered pedigree dogs).