Absolute Nutter

kingy

hello

we have just got ourselves a new little pug as well. he is 4 months old, and yes, he bites, chews, eats,

sniffes, snores , and snuffles ( that's what his name is - snuffles) around. he is a great sleeper, but,he

has no idea when he is tired. we can see his tiredness when he gets "sleepy eyes", but there is no way he

will lay down and sleep. he is just so excited about anything and anyone.

one way i've stopped him from biting feet, shoes, legs etc, is to say "stop" loud and one word only. i used to

point my finger at him, but he just bit it, so now i lay my hand up right at his face and say "stop". you have to

continuously do this, and everyone else in the family must say the same thing.

at 8 weeks of age,i taught him how to fetch ( i'm very proud of this !!!) but, it has to be done continuously.

our main problem is his toilet training. he is weeing and pooing anywhere and everywhere. it's driving us

mental. he knows where the door is and 80 per cent of the time he goes outside, but, for some reason, in

side is where he goes aswell.

ok gotta go

Can't help with puppy behaviour - just remember, they are like having a toddler around!! But the more effort you put in, the better off you'll be. Here's some housetraining tips for Monica666 in particular:

HOUSETRAINING TIPS

Ok - first thing to do is decide on the command (I call it “do wees”) you will repeat over and over. You have to really focus on the dog for about 2-3 days to be successful. You have a pocketful of special treats on hand all the time for the first 2-3 days.

Walk the dog several times a day and every time the dog wees, you get very excited and keep saying “Good boy/girl, do wees, do wees” – give the dog treats every time.

First thing in the morning, last thing at night and every time you see the dog eat or drink (both precursors to weeing) whisk the dog into the garden and repeat the command “do wees”. Get very excited and present treats every time dog goes.

The dog’s aim in life is to please you. If the dog should have an accident inside the house – say NOTHING at all. The dog soon gets the idea that when he/she goes outside you are really, really pleased and he/she gets rewarded.

NB: Please note that the smell of urine must be properly removed for any housetraining to be successful. There are products on the market such as “Urine Off” but they are very expensive. A mix of white vinegar and water is a much cheaper alternative and should work for tiles and other surfaces although you should always take care with wood etc. For carpet/rugs, I use either a mixture of Napisan/water or bicarb of soda and water. I completely soak the stain using a dab on technique with a cloth. When it is very wet, I use an old towel to soak up the excess moisture. Again, be careful on any expensive carpet/rug, I have never had any problems but I cannot guarantee any method here.

we try and ingore him which seems to work for like 2 secs and then back attacking out shoes/feet/jeans... she is very good with SPUD and cant wait for him to attended puppyschool.. yes he has alot of toys to kill but seems to like fingers and jeans/shoes more....

:laugh::laugh: im feeling your pain...But as its been said before you must ignore the behaviour you DONT want praise/reward the behavior you DO want...its hard Matt but you both must do this to work...if he bites your feet get up and walk away,turn your back to him...this is all the advice i have got from here and it takes time BUT does work....just do searches on here.....Good luck, i do love pugs also.....

Hey choco's ma ... this made me wonder, has choco's nipping improved? You haven't mentioned anything on labs forum for a while, just wondering.... :rolleyes:

Can't help with puppy behaviour - just remember, they are like having a toddler around!! But the more effort you put in, the better off you'll be. Here's some housetraining tips for Monica666 in particular:

HOUSETRAINING TIPS

Ok - first thing to do is decide on the command (I call it “do wees”) you will repeat over and over. You have to really focus on the dog for about 2-3 days to be successful. You have a pocketful of special treats on hand all the time for the first 2-3 days.

Walk the dog several times a day and every time the dog wees, you get very excited and keep saying “Good boy/girl, do wees, do wees” – give the dog treats every time.

First thing in the morning, last thing at night and every time you see the dog eat or drink (both precursors to weeing) whisk the dog into the garden and repeat the command “do wees”. Get very excited and present treats every time dog goes.

The dog’s aim in life is to please you. If the dog should have an accident inside the house – say NOTHING at all. The dog soon gets the idea that when he/she goes outside you are really, really pleased and he/she gets rewarded.

NB: Please note that the smell of urine must be properly removed for any housetraining to be successful. There are products on the market such as “Urine Off” but they are very expensive. A mix of white vinegar and water is a much cheaper alternative and should work for tiles and other surfaces although you should always take care with wood etc. For carpet/rugs, I use either a mixture of Napisan/water or bicarb of soda and water. I completely soak the stain using a dab on technique with a cloth. When it is very wet, I use an old towel to soak up the excess moisture. Again, be careful on any expensive carpet/rug, I have never had any problems but I cannot guarantee any method here.

hello dogmad

last night was the first time i've gone onto this dog forum, so i was pleasantly surprised to see an answer back

to my pug story to the other person with his crazy pug.

thanks for all the toilet training tips.

yes, we do make a big fuss, and give treats when he goes outside. like i said 80 percent of the time he knows

exactly where to go out side. he'll even sit at the door waiting if we haven't left the door open.

he could be outside for hours, but , as soon as we come home, he'll wee and/or poo inside again.

i think my main problem was when we got him at 8 weeks old, every time he did wee/poo inside, i'd get angry and

him, pick him up and take him onto the grass. that's what other puppy owners told us to do.

i was advised by our local dogwasher, that, getting angry, and picking him up is just what he wanted - attention.

to him, it's another way of me doing "puppy play". he even runs around the house in circles with me trying to

catch him so i can take him outside. it's all a great game, and i'm playing...

once again thanks for all your tips.

cya :rolleyes:

yes, we do make a big fuss, and give treats when he goes outside. like i said 80 percent of the time he knows

exactly where to go out side. he'll even sit at the door waiting if we haven't left the door open.

he could be outside for hours, but , as soon as we come home, he'll wee and/or poo inside again.

I have found that a lot of rescues are like this too when I am training them. I have found that when I get home, if I actually go outside and sit with them for 10 -20 minutes they will go to the toilet and then we go inside. Most will sleep while you are not there, and after sleep is a prime time for wanting to toilet. When you come home the wake up and are excited about you being home and wanting to greet you so they don't go to the toilet. Staying with them outside gives them a chance to greet you, get over the excitement and then go to the toilet.

we try and ingore him which seems to work for like 2 secs and then back attacking out shoes/feet/jeans... she is very good with SPUD and cant wait for him to attended puppyschool.. yes he has alot of toys to kill but seems to like fingers and jeans/shoes more....

:( :D im feeling your pain...But as its been said before you must ignore the behaviour you DONT want praise/reward the behavior you DO want...its hard Matt but you both must do this to work...if he bites your feet get up and walk away,turn your back to him...this is all the advice i have got from here and it takes time BUT does work....just do searches on here.....Good luck, i do love pugs also.....

Hey choco's ma ... this made me wonder, has choco's nipping improved? You haven't mentioned anything on labs forum for a while, just wondering.... :D

Hey MrsTS--a tiny little bit,not much like .5mm of change.... :mad :D

Hi Puppy people-

For a really good booklet on how to survive puppyhood, read Ian Dunbars "After You get Your Puppy" - you can download it from http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER%20...our%20Puppy.pdf (they also have one called "Before You get Your Puppy" - but I guess that's a bit late now!!LOL)

:rofl:

Not too late for new puppy owners as it goes to the 1st couple of weeks at the new home.

I have found that a lot of rescues are like this too when I am training them. I have found that when I get home, if I actually go outside and sit with them for 10 -20 minutes they will go to the toilet and then we go inside. Most will sleep while you are not there, and after sleep is a prime time for wanting to toilet. When you come home the wake up and are excited about you being home and wanting to greet you so they don't go to the toilet. Staying with them outside gives them a chance to greet you, get over the excitement and then go to the toilet.

Great advice. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...