Raw/natural Chitchat

Ziwipeak do a Lamb Tripe in a can version...

You could try that...I have spoken to the people that produce it and they swear by their product as their Lab girl is raw fed,but she also gets Ziwi dry and a few cans a week....

I am in NZ and have access to a few diff sources of Green Tripe,problem is if I sent you some it might kill the postie with the smell. ;) I actually like the smell ,it's like rotting wet hay that a cow poohed in . My dogs actually don't even get that excited about it anymore.

Thanks, I'll look for the canned version. I expect if you tried to post some the scent dogs at customs would have field day, I can just imagine their faces coming across that lot! ;)

I have asked at a number of different butchers and meat suppliers, but they act like I am a health inspector trying to set them up.

Yeah imagine those detector dogs almost pasing out with excitement!

Keep trying the Butchers,though I wonder is it illegal for them to see Green Tripe?

This thread is still going great guns ,as I said before it's about the first type of discussion where differeing views are not shot down by some.

Thing is dogs can survive on sub optimum eating,we have all heard the stories of dogs eating the cheapest most processed dry dog food and living till they are 20. We all try to do what we think is best and IMO that is the most important thing! As long as it's not too flawed in it's execution :lie:

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is dogs can survive on sub optimum eating,we have all heard the stories of dogs eating the cheapest most processed dry dog food and living till they are 20. We all try to do what we think is best and IMO that is the most important thing! As long as it's not too flawed in it's execution ;)

That's so true. Some dogs have constitutions of iron and will survive quite happily on anything. And there's always the exception that proves the rule - the dog that ate the cheapest crap in a bag and survived till he was 23, the person that smoked all their live yet lived to 105, etc.

Plus, so many effects of poor diet show up only in a small percentage of dogs, and only over the very long term, so how could you even tell if a particular dog food or diet was 10% more likely to cause cancer (for example) over a dog's lifespan? That would be a huge, expensive, longterm study to organise!

You're right, it's a good thread. Most (all?) people here are trying to do what's right by their dog after all, doing the best they can within their budget and the time they have available, so it's nice to share ideas.

Plus I'm a dog food geek so love any conversation like this (I just today found out that they do have the 2006 NRC guidelines publication at my university, just very cunningly hidden in the library catalogue! I'd be embarrased to describe how excited I was by this discovery). ;)

Plus I'm a dog food geek so love any conversation like this (I just today found out that they do have the 2006 NRC guidelines publication at my university, just very cunningly hidden in the library catalogue! I'd be embarrased to describe how excited I was by this discovery). ;)

You must let us know what you discover in said treasure ;)

Hmmm - this has got me thinking about the vegie bit!! We have a Grey who is unable to have bones as he only has 13 teeth ;) So he has a mix of minced chicken frames, roo, various offal, sardines and vegies. His teeth have always been a problem and he has just again been in for a dental this week. So, now I am thinking that the plant sugars may be contributing? I am divided as according to Billinghurst the fruit especially is good for arthritic dogs. Any thoughts?

Hi Trish :D Have you tried bones with your Mr Gorgeous? Sarge has 19 teeth (11 incisors, 4 premolars and 4 molars) and Madeline has 21, they both manage with the bones :lie: . As much as I don't like to feed Greenies (and haven't for a little while), I found they worked really well for Sarge's back molars (all 4 of them ;) ). He's still learning to chew properly with the bones, and chicken and turkey wings are the only ones he'll chew properly at the moment. He loves lamb bones but only pulls the meat off with his front teeth and that's it ;) .

I don't think the veggies would be the problem with Roger, but more the lack of chomping and chewing to keep them clean :D

xxx

Hi Jo!

The trouble is that he has no top molars so it is more the placement of the remaining teeth rather than the number. He therefore cannot chew on either side at the back effectively. He does have roo tails that are huge so he can pick the meat off with his canines - but as far as the molars go it is a bit hard. The canines are fine because he has frozen Kongs everyday too so they keep reasonably clean - it it those pesky molars that get covered in tartar and inflammed gums - even with brushing - although I could be more diligent with the brushing :D

xo

Hi Jo!

The trouble is that he has no top molars so it is more the placement of the remaining teeth rather than the number. He therefore cannot chew on either side at the back effectively. He does have roo tails that are huge so he can pick the meat off with his canines - but as far as the molars go it is a bit hard. The canines are fine because he has frozen Kongs everyday too so they keep reasonably clean - it it those pesky molars that get covered in tartar and inflammed gums - even with brushing - although I could be more diligent with the brushing :cry:

xo

Sounds tricky :cry::( . Does he 'try' to chew softer bones like wings? Not sure if it's the same thing, but Madeline doesn't have any bottom premolars. The few top ones she has are nice and clean, and the gum below feels quite hard. I think she's using those teeth anyway and the gum below has hardened to accomodate the missing teeth. Haha, another one of my famous theories :cry::cry: ... but I wonder if it would work the same way for your boy? I just got some turkey wings and they are pretty huge - might be worth a try? :D :o

I am absolutely in love with this thread - so much so I printed it off and took it home to read last night :sick::cheer:

Quick run down on my boy - Benson is a Golden Retriever with Atopic Dermatitis (Atopy) and we are trialing immunotherapy (aka desensititation injections) to assist with his allergies (sadly doesn't look like a cure). He is allergic to grasses, trees, wheat, oats, feathers (no birds thankfully) and tobacco. No known proteins.

I am currently researching raw feeding and intend to begin within the next couple of weeks to see if this will further assist him. Presently I am feeding daily - 1 cup of Artemis Maximal Dog, table spoon of Natural Yoghurt, 8 Fish Oil tablets, 4 Evening Primrose tablets, a Brisket bone a can of Sardines every second day.

A big question I have is about vegtables - if you were feeding green tripe (can you get in Australia?) how much would you have to feed a dog that weighs 39ks to be equivalent to the veggies others are using in their raw diets?

Thanks YG for starting this awesome thread!!! :cheer:

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

Hi FTP, welcome to our little club :thumbsup:

I had a look at the Artemis, it does look like a really good food, however the second ingredient is potatoes which would make it quite high in starch/carbohydrates. I'd be looking at reducing carbs for an allergic dog. It also contains dried skim milk which would be an unneccessary dairy.

I've been trying to find green tripe and it's really hard to find! Human consumption tripe is pretty useless for dogs as all the nutrients have been washed or bleached out. I'll keep looking though :laugh:

I hope you find the right balance for Benson and he feels better soon! He's a beautiful boy :laugh:

Naawww thank you YG - Benson sends you slobbers! :laugh: And thanks for the welcome! :thumbsup:

I have been goggling green tripe to no avail in Australia - how ever I have emailed a breed in Sydney that said on their website that they feed it to see if it's possible to get from their source. Will let you know how I go.

I am so pleased to hear your two have come along in leaps and bounds since beginning raw feeding - can I ask how long you have been at it now?

FTP, we've been doing totally raw for about a month now. Before that it was only products that had no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. It took a little while to transition them as Madeline had a bit of a stressy tummy (pretty sure that was due to her nervousness and insecurites) and I don't think either of them had ever had bones before.

We're still learning as we go along :mad

Trish, I think you're right. It's pretty hard to get hold of. I do know there's a company that sells it in cans but I've lost the link. Probably overseas though.

It looks like unless you know some one in the business then there is no sourcing it.

However I have been speaking with Laneka and she was able to get some - not quite green but certainly not bleached and said it went right through her dogs - so I think I may give up looking for it and do green leafy/root veggies instead.

It looks like unless you know some one in the business then there is no sourcing it.

However I have been speaking with Laneka and she was able to get some - not quite green but certainly not bleached and said it went right through her dogs - so I think I may give up looking for it and do green leafy/root veggies instead.

If you do processed green veges along with some probiotics/natural yoghurt, IMO that's probably about as close as you're going to get to the real thing. :hitself:

If you do processed green veges along with some probiotics/natural yoghurt, IMO that's probably about as close as you're going to get to the real thing. :laugh:

Thank you Star - I do feed yoghurt so I will note to combine the grated veggies with the yoghurt! :hitself: