Raw/natural Chitchat

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found our local Safeway the best source of lamb offcuts. They bundle them into packs around 1.5kgs ($2.99kg) and combine a heap of different sized offcuts. One pack does my two for dinner, and I keep aside a big chunk each for their brekky the next morning. They seem to have a lot of meat on their offucts, unlike Coles who seem fond of packaging bone and fat and charging $4 kg for it!

This is a sad fact of my life.......my husband and kids organised a new chest freezer for me for Mothers Day, and I was so excited because I now had freezer space to buy raw dog food in bulk. Isn't that a tragic thing to get excited over?

I am gradually phasing out kibble and they are now down to 1 meal a week, I just need to finish off the current bag and I don't think I'll buy anymore.

And a Chest freezer!!! I would be so freakin excited!!!

Oh good, I'm not tragic after all!

We have a really nice side by side fridge/freezer in the kitchen but for buying up on specials for the dogs it just didn't cut it cos I never had enough room. But now I have a whole freezer just for their food (and a few loaves of bread) and it's awesome cos I can buy as much as I want and know I can easily store it.

A few months ago, I would have thought no, I'll just keep some dry on hand for emergencies but really, they have so little of it at the moment, and if I forget to defrost meat, I can always mix up a meal of tinned fish, eggs, cheese and grated veges for them. That take but a few minutes and it's nutritious and a change from their usual.

We have a really nice side by side fridge/freezer in the kitchen but for buying up on specials for the dogs it just didn't cut it cos I never had enough room. But now I have a whole freezer just for their food (and a few loaves of bread) and it's awesome cos I can buy as much as I want and know I can easily store it.

A few months ago, I would have thought no, I'll just keep some dry on hand for emergencies but really, they have so little of it at the moment, and if I forget to defrost meat, I can always mix up a meal of tinned fish, eggs, cheese and grated veges for them. That take but a few minutes and it's nutritious and a change from their usual.

Not tragic at all! ...... or .... maybe im the only other person out there who thinks this is cool :p :heart:

You've got a great system worked out Gayle. Nothing defrosted and your still sorted. Good on ya Love!

Im so jealous of you and your freezer!!

Congrats on the chest freezer! :kissbetter: Sounds like you've got everything sorted :cry:

I've got a side by side too. My stuff gets crammed into the shelves in the door, the rest of the freezer belongs to the dogs! :love: (and it's healthier than what's crammed into the door :D )

Not tragic at all! ...... or .... maybe im the only other person out there who thinks this is cool :D :love:

You've got a great system worked out Gayle. Nothing defrosted and your still sorted. Good on ya Love!

Im so jealous of you and your freezer!!

Then I am incredibly tradgic cause with almost all my tax money I went out and bought a 90 ltr upright freezer on the weekend that fits into the cavity of the dishwasher space (I rent and there is a cut out for a dishwasher but one was not provided with the propety :eek: ) and a 1000W food processor instead of a juicer so I can use it for myself too sometimes :) Plus I told the sales person at Good Guys that both purchases where for my dogs :) but thankfully she understood as she is a doggie person too *phew* :love:

Really quick question (sorry work is crazy at the moment :thumbsup: ) when you get chicken mince is it human grade or is it from Lenards Chicken Shops that contain minced chicken frames ie chicken pet mince?

A lot of people prefer 'human grade', but I'm just as happy with minced frames etc from Lenards. Puppies seem to be doing fine on it as the base of their 'mince mix'. (They get bones/frames from roos, fish and chickens 3 out of every 4 days and then the vege/mince mix on the other day.)

Really quick question (sorry work is crazy at the moment :cry: ) when you get chicken mince is it human grade or is it from Lenards Chicken Shops that contain minced chicken frames ie chicken pet mince?

A lot of people prefer 'human grade', but I'm just as happy with minced frames etc from Lenards. Puppies seem to be doing fine on it as the base of their 'mince mix'. (They get bones/frames from roos, fish and chickens 3 out of every 4 days and then the vege/mince mix on the other day.)

If human grade means no bones, though, I don't think that's ideal unless you're planning on including lots of other RMB in the diet for calcium & phosphorous.

I personally feed very little boneless chicken, since I feel that chicken meat has no benefit over red meat, and some drawbacks compared to red meats (e.g low in iron and zinc which raw diets often seem to be lacking in). I do feed chicken carcasses, whole or minced they're a great source of calcium, phosphorous, and protein (plus some vitamin D, if you get the back skin included). Just not chicken meat by itself.

Thanks Star and AG! :thumbsup: I was thinking that it would be benefical to feed the minced chicken inclusive of the frames and skin rather that just meat. Still researching everything :rofl:

Plus I am not sure I am going to be able to feed bones for sometime as I have a new woofa in my life as of Saturday - Lughie (prnounced Louie) and I am currently feeding them separately until I have time to work out if they are going to behave when eating, as I don't want to cause issues between them cause they have become the very best of mates already!

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner