Raw/natural Chitchat

Ah, so I can put the veggies in the blender and they'll be fine? I thought it's illegal to feed raw offal???

lol you think you will get arrested? :thumbsup::thanks:

human grade offal is safe to feed raw :D

yep I just blend the veggies into one big mush and add some mince, eggs and yoghurt to it

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thanks: No, of course you wont get arrested. :D But my breeder told me and I found this document:

http://www.ncnt.com.au/nutritionforsmallanimals.html

Maybe it's only prohibited in Tassie. I don't know. But before I have been told I have to cook offal. I just want to make sure.

So what's the right ratio between the different kinds of meat, veggies and other protein sources such as fish? Is there an online calculator??? :thumbsup:

Ok, I went to the butcher in Virginia (it's actually more a meat supermarket) and this is what I came home with:

Pig Head

Chicken Offal Mince

Pork Trotters

Lamb Offcuts

Calves Liver

Lambs Fry

Pig Heart

Ox Heart

Lamb Heart

Ox Tongue

Pork Tongue

Lamb Flabs

I also bought a heap of veggies. I do prefer feeding some veggies.

Now my question: Do I need to cook the veggies or just masch them? Do I need to cook any of the meat? I thought I have to cook offal, so that would be heart, and liver. Is that right???

Any idea how I should feed this best? This is my first trial on total BARF. :thanks:

Great place huh! :thumbsup: Yep like a massive meat supermarket!!! :D

By the way did you have a look in the human deli windor where they seal steaks, chicken and mince and stuff - you can get turkey wings, chicken marylands, wings and drumsticks pretty bl**dy cheap too!

Also do not be fooled by the chicken offal mince - it does not contain very much offal as such (maybe a liver or two slip through but they I know do try to take these out as they sell them separately) rather just minced chicken frames!

So what's the right ratio between the different kinds of meat, veggies and other protein sources such as fish? Is there an online calculator??? :D

First thing I have learnt is to do the calculation of body weight - 2% to start off with and increase if they lose weight - ie 2% of 35kg x 2% = 700 grams!

Next thing I have learnt is that you need about 70% - 80% muscle meat, 10% -20% bone and 10% offal - I think :thanks:

Check out post #204 http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...2826&st=195 Still got to wrap my head around that calculation (been a bit off colour the last couple of days so brain function isn't the greatest :o:o )

Hope that helps - but trust me there are way more knowledgeable people on this thread!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

well i am trying to post an excel spreadsheet that Shoemonster very kindly emailed me that works out all the different percentages, you can change the percentages to suit, you can also change the weight of the dog, or the percentage of total food ..... she is a genius with excel and maths i reckon :rolleyes:

But it won't let me post it :laugh:

well i am trying to post an excel spreadsheet that Shoemonster very kindly emailed me that works out all the different percentages, you can change the percentages to suit, you can also change the weight of the dog, or the percentage of total food ..... she is a genius with excel and maths i reckon :rolleyes:

But it won't let me post it :laugh:

Bugger :D Could we perhaps pm you our emails and you email it on to us? Or does she want to keep it as her intellectual property?

well i am trying to post an excel spreadsheet that Shoemonster very kindly emailed me that works out all the different percentages, you can change the percentages to suit, you can also change the weight of the dog, or the percentage of total food ..... she is a genius with excel and maths i reckon :laugh:

But it won't let me post it :D

Bugger :p Could we perhaps pm you our emails and you email it on to us? Or does she want to keep it as her intellectual property?

nope she is happy to share it around someone has already sent a PM asking for it :rolleyes:

the reason i can't post it is that for some reason when i upload it i get a message to say this type of file is not permitted ???

Edited by oonga

Where do you get things like lamb tongue and salmon head from???? Stupid question, but what is chicken maryland?

You can get salmon heads at coles for about $3/kg.Most Woolworths and Coles sell lamb tongues.

Maryland is the drumstick and thigh,the rear quarter of a chicken.They are an excellent medium sized RMB.

Edited by jamie

Ok, I'm really getting into this. I have more questions: Do I just differentiate between RMB, meat and offal? So things like tongue and heart belong to meat and liver to offal?

Also, a few of you recommended fish. Aren't fishbones dangerous for dogs???

Oh and the spreadsheet is great!!! :rolleyes:

Hey Ocean - There are bones, raw meaty bones, muscle meats and offal. Brsiket bones are classed more as just bone rather than a raw meaty bone and a chicken maryland is more a raw meaty bone. liver kidneys, pancreas, spleen, lungs and brain are all classed as offal - personally I am not sure if I can stomach feeding brain but once I start handling all this weird and wonderful things I am sure I will consider it! :laugh:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...363&hl=Fish Here is a thread about feeding fish - seems that most dogs do not have a problem with eating entire fish raw. I know a friend who lives on the canals at pacific paradise up here fishes off their boat mooring and gives their Goldie a few of the catch once a week and he just gobbles them up - alive! :cry:

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

Ok, I just finished cleaning the kitchen (it's 12.20) after I've been preparing dogfood since 7 am and it will only last me a week! :love: Do I do something wrong here??? :(

How much does your boy weigh? Cause if he is 70kgs I guess you would have to feed about 14 kgs a day and I suppose that would take a heck of a long time! :love: No experience yet - will let you know how long it takes on Sunday! *shaking in boots*

Ok, I just finished cleaning the kitchen (it's 12.20) after I've been preparing dogfood since 7 am and it will only last me a week! :love: Do I do something wrong here??? :(

What do you mean by preparing dogfood? Why is it taking so long? I freeze the bones (takes ~5min to put in plastic bags and in the freezer). When I process the veggies it takes me ~15min for ~2 weeks

Ummm, did you cook roasts for your dog?

If you are portioning and weighing and mushing and de-fatting etc etc yeah, it will take you a little while and its your first go right?

You will get it prepared faster the more you do it and I'm guessing being a first time preparer you were maybe a bit 'perfect' with everything? :love:

Give us a run down on what you prepared.

Ok, I just finished cleaning the kitchen (it's 12.20) after I've been preparing dogfood since 7 am and it will only last me a week! :) Do I do something wrong here??? :(

If you are portioning and weighing and mushing and de-fatting etc etc yeah, it will take you a little while and its your first go right?

You will get it prepared faster the more you do it and I'm guessing being a first time preparer you were maybe a bit 'perfect' with everything? :love:

That is so going to be me on Sunday - so I best get prepared for 4 hours of work!!! :):love:

I do very little preparation, a bit of bagging up of things bought in bulk, a little juicing. I've never spent that long!

Edited by Diva