Raw/natural Chitchat

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, even so though, that's still only about 22% of the diet as actual bone. I'd be comfortable feeding that, even though it's a little higher than "true" prey model- adult dogs are superb at regulating their Ca absorption, plus the chicken bone she's using is much lower in Ca and P than beef or lamb bone. I certainly wouldn't want to see her feeding much less than 15% actual bone.

So she's currently feeding about 22% of the diet as actual bone (= 45% of the diet as RMB, or 2000g of the 4400g total is RMB). 15% of the diet as actual bone would be 25% of the diet as RMB (= 1100g of the 4400g total). IMO anywhere in between those figures would probably be fine.

Hey, remember when I said this in post 166? ...

It looks good to me! ;)
;) . I should have just stuck to that! ;) :o

Hmmm, even so though, that's still only about 22% of the diet as actual bone. I'd be comfortable feeding that, even though it's a little higher than "true" prey model- adult dogs are superb at regulating their Ca absorption, plus the chicken bone she's using is much lower in Ca and P than beef or lamb bone. I certainly wouldn't want to see her feeding much less than 15% actual bone.

So she's currently feeding about 22% of the diet as actual bone (= 45% of the diet as RMB, or 2000g of the 4400g total is RMB). 15% of the diet as actual bone would be 25% of the diet as RMB (= 1100g of the 4400g total). IMO anywhere in between those figures would probably be fine.

It looks good to me! :scared:
:p . I should have just stuck to that! ;) ;)

No this is fantastic - I want their diets to be as close to 100% as I can! ;) So I appreciate everyones input!!! :o

It looks good to me! :p
;) . I should have just stuck to that! ;) :o

Hell no, playing raw food chef with the DOL folks is far more fun than the study I'm supposed to be doing - bring it on, I say!

FTPO, I reckon the diet you've described is probably just fine for an adult dog, but if you want to reduce the RMB a little and replace that with red meat as Yellowgirl suggests, I don't think that would hurt either. It's up to you. Just keep the RMB between about 1/4 and 1/2 of the overall diet. ;)

RMBs

200 grams of Chicken Pet Mince

1 Chicken Marykand (300 grams)

2 Lamb Flaps (200 grams) This might be too much or in the meat section???

~300gTurkey wing

200 grams of chicken pet mince

? one brisket bone aprrox 250-350 grams

2.1kg

MEAT

200 grams of lamb heart minced

1 tin of saradines (~150g)

100 grams of salmon from tin

200 grams of lamb heart

200 grams of roo mince

1 Salmon heads

200 grams of roo mince

200 grams of roo mince

200 grams of roo mince

200 grams of lamb tongue minced

2.25kg

ORGANS

200 grams of lamb liver minced

200 hramsof lamb kidney

0.4kg

total meats: 2.1kg + +2.25kg + 0.4kg =4.75kg

2.1 kg of RMBs, these are around 40% bone so 0.84kg of bone (to calculate % of bone you divide 0.84/4.55 (x100) = ~18

so ~18% bone (which is actually great and I don't think you want much lower than this really)

0.4 kg of offal so 9% (=0.4/4.75 (x100)) which is also great!

Well done FTPO your plan sounds PERFECT to me ;) :o ;)

Edited by laffi

Cool Star - I mean I can always adjust along the way and might even make another of the meals with the chicken mince into just lamb mince! ;)

You're much more organised than me! :o My pup just gets a lamb heart for lunch 7 days a week, a chicken back for breakfast 5 days a week, and the other two raw meals (liver, kidney, veges, porridge, yoghurt, fish) whenever I can be bothered playing dog chef during the week...

total meats: 2.1kg + +2.25kg + 0.4kg =4.75kg

2.1 kg of RMBs, these are around 40% bone so 0.84kg of bone (to calculate % of bone you divide 0.84/4.55 (x100) = ~18

so ~18% bone (which is actually great and I don't think you want much lower than this really)

0.4 kg of offal so 9% (=0.4/4.75 (x100)) which is also great!

Well done FTPO your plan sounds PERFECT to me ;) :o ;)

The easiest way is probably just to watch the other end. If the poops come out hard and dry and are harder to pass, then reduce the bone a bit ;)

Thank you so much everyone - I am so grateful to you for all your hellp and will post reports about what they are like on it how they react and what not! You guys really are the best and thread is bl**dy awesome! :p

One last question - would you still add kibble for a week with the diet and reduce the amount of raw foods for the time being or straight swap over???

Cool Star - I mean I can always adjust along the way and might even make another of the meals with the chicken mince into just lamb mince! ;)

You're much more organised than me! ;) My pup just gets a lamb heart for lunch 7 days a week, a chicken back for breakfast 5 days a week, and the other two raw meals (liver, kidney, veges, porridge, yoghurt, fish) whenever I can be bothered playing dog chef during the week...

;) :o Honestly I am not that organised - more so sh*t scared that I would stuff up their health and thus I need to have everything written down and in amounts!

;) ;) Honestly I am not that organised - more so sh*t scared that I would stuff up their health and thus I need to have everything written down and in amounts!

Haha, that's me too! :o

One last question - would you still add kibble for a week with the diet and reduce the amount of raw foods for the time being or straight swap over???

I just stopped giving mine kibble and we had no problems at all ;)

:mad:mad Honestly I am not that organised - more so sh*t scared that I would stuff up their health and thus I need to have everything written down and in amounts!

Haha, that's me too! :mad

I just stopped giving mine kibble and we had no problems at all :mad

Me too. Straight change over, although when I decided to go full Raw they were only getting kibble maybe once or twice a week. Mine have not stopped thriving since... although they are not too happy with me subbing their usual meaty goodies with a little veg!! (trying to drop a few kilos)

:cheer::mad Honestly I am not that organised - more so sh*t scared that I would stuff up their health and thus I need to have everything written down and in amounts!

Haha, that's me too! :mad

:o Glad I'm not the only one! :mad

One last question - would you still add kibble for a week with the diet and reduce the amount of raw foods for the time being or straight swap overI just stopped giving mine kibble and we had no problems at all :love:

Awesome thanks guys - I mean I guess thet are on a kibble that is the closest to raw food as there is so thats also a help I guess! :mad

:provoke: Not liking the veg! Do you mix it right through?

Quick question re legs and marylands. Do you take the really sharp long bone out before you feed it?

Definitely not.

If I could I would feed whole chickens to my dogs :) (well I sometimes do but I wish it was more affordable)

Ok, I went to the butcher in Virginia (it's actually more a meat supermarket) and this is what I came home with:

Pig Head

Chicken Offal Mince

Pork Trotters

Lamb Offcuts

Calves Liver

Lambs Fry

Pig Heart

Ox Heart

Lamb Heart

Ox Tongue

Pork Tongue

Lamb Flabs

I also bought a heap of veggies. I do prefer feeding some veggies.

Now my question: Do I need to cook the veggies or just masch them? Do I need to cook any of the meat? I thought I have to cook offal, so that would be heart, and liver. Is that right???

Any idea how I should feed this best? This is my first trial on total BARF. :thumbsup:

Ok, I went to the butcher in Virginia (it's actually more a meat supermarket) and this is what I came home with:

Pig Head

Chicken Offal Mince

Pork Trotters

Lamb Offcuts

Calves Liver

Lambs Fry

Pig Heart

Ox Heart

Lamb Heart

Ox Tongue

Pork Tongue

Lamb Flabs

I also bought a heap of veggies. I do prefer feeding some veggies.

Now my question: Do I need to cook the veggies or just masch them? Do I need to cook any of the meat? I thought I have to cook offal, so that would be heart, and liver. Is that right???

Any idea how I should feed this best? This is my first trial on total BARF. :o

Great selection :thumbsup: :D :thanks:

I feed everything raw (muscle meat, raw meaty bones, offal and veggies). Dogs can't digest veggies unless they are processed or blend (still raw though).

BTW heart is not offal, it's muscle meat. :o