To Clip, Or Not To Clip

Elmo

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing Dogzonline for half a year and have got lots of wonderful tips and suggestion from here. It's certainly the most useful dog discussion forum !!!This actually is the first time that I cannot find any existing discussion about what I want to know. :laugh:

I'm owned by a 5 months old Maltese X Shih Tzu boy. He is an extremely cute fluffy fur ball. Since summer is approaching - - the weather is getting warmer - - his white fluffy fur now seems to be too thick !!!!

I come home and find him spend most of his time sitting on the kitchen floor (tiled) next to the clay pot filled with ice.

I reckon he does need a hair cut. My boyfriend, however, prefers to see Wilbur grow his fur long and become a mop.

Question is . . .

Should I give him a clip?

and if so ... what sort of hair styles are available and suitable for a long coat pooch like him? ... am trying to google for doggie hairstyle but so far... no luck :rofl: .

How does everyone else, who has long coat doggie like mine handle the hot weather?

To clip, or not to clip?

Help please !!!!!

Thanks in advance :rofl:

I got my maltese x shihtzu clipped last week very very short. But I asked them to leave her tail & ears longer (but still got a trim) I will try to take a photo tonight if I remember.

You could let it grow long but your pup will need grooming daily to ensure he doesnt get matted. Short fur is definitely easier to manage (and less risk of poo stuck on bum Yuk!). If you are keeping it long then maybe tie the hair on the head up so that pup can still see! My Lucy had major vision impairment before her clip

Elmo, I can only share with you what we've done with our pets re clipping....in this hot Qld summer.

When we had pet Shelties we clipped them right back towards their rear end (where the coats were densest), clipped away all the belly hair back to the back legs, clipped a track around their necks (collar line) & kept under their ears nice & bare.

For our Tibetan Spaniels (whose coats are not so dense), we clip the belly hair right back to the skin (to the edge of back legs.) We keep paw-pad hair clipped back. And we comb thro' against the direction of their coats frequently to get loose hair out & to let air reach their skins.

Friends who own a Shih-Tzu get her professionally clipped back each summer...& it's worth it, she's comfortable & looks cute. If I owned a Shih-Tzu X Maltese, like you...I'd do the same.

Edited by mita

ooooooh yes I agree.........your dog will be huffing and puffing and be very uncomfortable..........I bought my own pair of clippers for my maltese x poodle.......I am pretty hopeless but look forward to getting better.........there's plenty of time in winter to grow a full coat................see my avatar...and now....a dodgy haircut !!!

post-22-1101693336.jpg

That's not too bad Madikeira...

Do you blow wave the coat before clipping. A straight coat will give you a smoother finish.

Makes me want to clip her muzzle, feet and the top third of her tail.... once a poodle owner... :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

Jo clips Lulu really closely on her tummy (almost shaved :laugh: ), closed clipped on her bottom, and about 1 centimetre elsewhere. She leaves her ears and tail long.

apparently, the close clipping of a dogs tummy really helps with temperature regulation. Lulu certainly gets a new lease of life when she's clipped.

btw, Jo does this with hairdressor's scissors, no clippers.

Peter D

post-22-1101695423.jpg

, Jo does this with hairdressor's scissors, no clippers.

I use hairdressers' scissors, too. (Got from a hairdresser friend).

And a pair of scissors with the rounded ends on the points & a slight curve of the blades...for delicate bits where I don't want to risk digging the dog. (Got from a pet supplies store).

I also use a comb....push the comb thro' the hair & cut what sticks up (like how barbers cut men's hair.) Gives a smoother cut....prevents the uneven hacked look.

Thanks heaps everyone - -

Wilbur will definitely get a haircut this weekend :rofl:

He did look real uncomfy while we were out in the backyard yesterday - - panting and puffing - -

All the doggies with summer hair styles look awsome !!!!

Any recommendation for dog groomer in ACT?

I don't wanna risk trying it myself - - it was hard enough trying to keep his hair out of his eyes using hair gel :laugh:

Elmo most of the ACT Groomers I know are very busy. 3P's at Duffy would be my top recommendation but Karen has a full client list.

Capital Grooming at Chiefly are very good. Hair of the Dog at Hawker and Tuggeranong also have a good reputation.

Be VERY specific about what you want or you may end up with an all over clip. :laugh: A picture of your desired cut may be wise.

Yes be very spefic about the type of clip you want,we do professional grooming & many of the malt crosses coat is very fine & getting them shaved to short does expose there skin to the sun alot more ,a good groomer should be able to clip the dog depending on its coat texture.

99% of the fluffys we groom we do in a puppy clip so its still fluffy with character but very managable for the owners

Thanks for the advice about doing it with scissors. I am going to the hairdresser this weekend so will buy a pair as well.

Even if I do not do all of him I will be definitely doing the belly between visits to the Groomer my Tibbie does not seem to feel the heat in fact can be found outside sunny herself in the height of summer I wonder if the very thick coat protests her.

I did have a pair of Dr Harry clippers but was not game to use them.

post-22-1101779225.jpg

L.B see if you can find a wholesale hairdressing supplies place - the scissors will be much cheaper and you'll find a million things you can use for grooming including snazzy bathing aprons to keep you dry.

Scissors can cost ANYTHING... I paid between $80-$100 for my pairs but would like some of the more expensive ones... like around the $450 mark. :rofl:

www.groomersfriend.com.au is a great place to buy grooming gear online. :rofl:

Just been on the site Poodlefan and I could not find scissors.

However they will be in Brisbane 5th March for groomers and they have weekend courses for people wishing to groom their own dogs. This looks like where I will be going for my hols next year.

Would have never found it. Thank you