Cosmo - Goodbye Mr Fluffybum

nickyp

Cosmo, our 12 year old tabby boy, was put to sleep on Saturday after developing respiratory problems. He'd been unwell in the previous week and I took him to the vet on Monday where he was diagnosed with asthma and a possible respiratory infection and given an anti-inflammatory injection and antibiotics. He was looking a little brighter over the next couple of days, but I took him back on Thursday when he started have some trouble breathing. He was placed in a cage with oxygen pumped in and given more anti-inflammatories and antibiotics.

On Saturday morning the vet rang to let me know he wasn't doing as well and get permission for a second chest xray. We were passing so dropped in to see him. His breathing was much worse than when I'd last seen him on Thursday and, although I agreed to the xray, I couldn't help feeling that this was the beginning of the end. The xray showed a marked deterioration in the state of his lungs and the vet felt the the anti-inflammatories had allowed whatever was ailing him to progress rapidly. The next step would have been an invasive test that he might not have survived and the best case scenario was that he had and aggressive bacterial infection, which could potentially be cured with more specific antibiotic, but it was highly possible that the damage to his lungs would mean that he would never regain full health.

I couldn't let him go on as he was so I asked the vet to euthanise him on Saturday afternoon. OH, the kids and I went in to say goodbye, then OH took the kids out while I held Cosmo as he went to sleep for the last time.

I feel so empty without Cosmo here. I got him as a 6 week old whirling dervish of a kitten at the end of the first year that OH and I were together. He has been the constant in our lives through all the many changes that followed: moving house, changing jobs, the arrival of another cat, two dogs and two children (all of whom Cosmo thought should just go to wherever they really belonged, since they certainly didn't belong in HIS house). Through it all he was there and he was my boy. I find it hard to imagine how we'll do anything without him along for the ride.

Goodbye Cosmo, aka Comso, FatBoyCosmo, Fatty, Catty Mo, Cosmonster, Mr Fluffybum. We miss you.

3201241256_01ba02730d.jpg

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I made arrangements this morning for Cosmo to be cremated, then we'll find him a tree to rest under in our backyard. I might try to pick something that will attract birds - he'd enjoy that.