Barf For Puppies

keels

Yeah, basically what the title says!

I want to start feeding our puppy based on the BARF diet, but I'm wondering whether i need to modify it for puppies??

He's 10 wks, and only 2.2 kgs (Staffy x ?, prob something very small, cos he's so small!)

i was thinking i'd have to be careful about calcium, making sure he gets enough, but not too much??

Has anyone got any suggestions or help??

My pup is mostly getting chicken necks, wings, mince and quarters and turkey necks, wings and vegies. He also gets the odd bowl of milk with an egg whisked in and he generally gets a dollop of yogurt with dinner. Beef and lamb flaps get thrown in a fair bit as well, same with small amounts of roo meat and mince. He gets basically the same as my adult but usually the pieces with softer bone, i was giving him kibble once a day with other stuff but have been informed that is kinda bad for him.

I'll be glad to see more ideas as well :laugh:

Kit

"Give Your Dog A Bone" also has tips for pups in it. My advice is just to keep it simple, wait a week or two before adding any veggies or organ meat. From what I remember, too much calcium isn't that much of a worry as they are getting it naturally, its a lot easier to over dose on something if you are feeding it in a synthetic form.

Keels if you make up the BARF pattie mix and do 50 percent that and 50 percent raw meaty bones meals you should be fine.

I have a smaller breed so the first bones I fed were chicken necks - bashed well with a mallet to make them easier to eat. Great stress therapy! Important tip - put them in a plastic bag first - saves cleaning bits of the walls. :laugh:

ahhh - yup :laugh:

Fast learner though - only did it about half a dozen times..... (duh!)

Make sure that the bones you feed most of the time are fully consumed. This will confine you to chicken and some of the ribs of other critters until your dog is fully grown.

Is he going to be a small dog? If so, I feed mostly chicken but also lamb and pork ribs and lamb necks to the adults.

Edited by poodlefan

Yep, going to be quite a small dog, we think the size of a mini foxy.

I bought a couple of kilos of chicken necks from the butcher today, i'll have to find somewhere to buy otherstuff!

I asked about turkey necks and lamb necks, and he looked at me like i was a little loopy!

Excellent!!

Thanks for the info Jacq!!

We've been feeding him eukanuba with various bits and pieces mixed through, leftovers and what not, but he's a fussy little eater!! I gave him a small piece of lamb ribs today and he chomped it down, so i think raw food is the answer for him.

Important tip - put them in a plastic bag first - saves cleaning bits of the walls. :rofl:

:rofl: Thanks for the tip :rofl:

My little kitten needs her necks bashed up, I'm hoping that one day she'll learn to chew because at the moment even a tiny speck that hasn't been bashed is left in the bowl, the meat chewed clean off it! I don't think dogs have this problem though! :rofl:

My puppy is 10 weeks old. She gets mostly raw food, but kibble as well because my dad works for Friskies and got 20kgs for free. Gotta use it up!

Other than that, she also gets raw mince (roo mince), frozen mixed vegies (on hot days I leave them frozen), chicken wings or necks, beef offcuts from the supermarket and egg twice a week. I think the bones give her all the calcium she needs but I do like the yogurt idea.