Poodle (miniature)

Troy

Thanks PF, I will ask in the poodle thread. :hug:

Although I'd prefer as close as possible, I'd certainly not rule out interstate breeders.

Its always great if you can go and see the pups and meet the breeder in person. That said, two of my dogs came from interstate.

Definitely, I'd love to meet the breeder, parents and pups. Although not ideal in a practical sense, I could do the same if I found a great breeder interstate.

I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself, please tell me it's never too early to start researching. :hug: My next dog will be at least 2-5 years away but the miniture poodle is my number one choice, followed by one more breed. I am going off-topic though.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself, please tell me it's never too early to start researching. :hug:

It's never too early to start researching. Can I suggest you take yourself out to a large show at Durack or similar and have a look at the local breeders' dogs. You'll be able to tell plenty about temperament just from watching them in the ring - confidence is as important in a sports dog as it is in a show dog.

Brisbane Royal is an excellent opportunity to see dogs too - including out of state dogs.

• 5 months later...

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a good breeder in Sydney or surrounds.

Our friends have decided on the miniature poodle for their family. They have done a lot of research and have had dogs in the past.

They love the brown colouring ... and would love a female up to about 4 years. Preference would be young adult but this is proving to be hard to find.

They have two children 5 and 8 and a moggy. Can anyone point me in the right direction ??? (they have been keeping their eyes on the pound with no luck)

Thanks so much.

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a good breeder in Sydney or surrounds.

Our friends have decided on the miniature poodle for their family. They have done a lot of research and have had dogs in the past.

They love the brown colouring ... and would love a female up to about 4 years. Preference would be young adult but this is proving to be hard to find.

They have two children 5 and 8 and a moggy. Can anyone point me in the right direction ??? (they have been keeping their eyes on the pound with no luck)

Thanks so much.

With children and a cat, a pup might be the go. ELIRE (Newcastle) have two litters due in July. They have a puppy listing on the breed page for Mini P's.

Thanks poodlefan, I have emailed them.

With children and a cat, a pup might be the go. ELIRE (Newcastle) have two litters due in July. They have a puppy listing on the breed page for Mini P's.

Having never had much to do with this breed why would a pup be better than a young adult ? Would just like to pass on as much info as I can :hug:

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am new. I have just bought a beautiful black miniature pup who i intend to show and breed from. I am just starting out with a poodle show career and I have been learning about the protection of her coat and topknot. I would love for my pup to be able to play outside and talk to other dogs once in a while without destroying her show coat. Is their any way that this can be done? or will have have to keep her tied up on a run all the time?

I was wondering if there is a bonnet I can teach her to wear when outside or a coat/jacket she will protect her coat. Any help would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Hi everyone,

I am new. I have just bought a beautiful black miniature pup who i intend to show and breed from. I am just starting out with a poodle show career and I have been learning about the protection of her coat and topknot. I would love for my pup to be able to play outside and talk to other dogs once in a while without destroying her show coat. Is their any way that this can be done? or will have have to keep her tied up on a run all the time?

I was wondering if there is a bonnet I can teach her to wear when outside or a coat/jacket she will protect her coat. Any help would be much appreciated. :rofl:

Hi Louise. You should probably head over to the poodle chat thread in the Breeds sub-forum (under General Discussion). There are breeders and exhibitors there who can help.

I don't know of any exhibitor that doesn't wrap the top knot and jacket to protect it between shows. With good wraps your dog can run and play.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is a bonnet I can teach her to wear when outside or a coat/jacket she will protect her coat. Any help would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Hi Louise. You should probably head over to the poodle chat thread in the Breeds sub-forum (under General Discussion). There are breeders and exhibitors there who can help.

I don't know of any exhibitor that doesn't wrap the top knot and jacket to protect it between shows. With good wraps your dog can run and play.

Jackets are a no no. it mats the coat. Ok for a pet but not a showdog.

Wrapping ears is essential, banding top knots is the norm, some people also wrap.

I wouldn't allow play unsupervised, your dog can come back to you with all the hair chewed up.

Also, you need to check the bands and wraps on a daily basis to make sure their not matting either.

Change them as required.

Sorry, am I allowed to post on here?

Edited by poodiful1

• 5 months later...

Hello,

My sister lives in London and is getting a miniature Poodle puppy bitch in a RED colour. It is from a KC Registered breeder and has several generations of health checks behind both parents and five years of checks behind each parent. So I believe the breeder to be knowlegable in this breed.

The breeder has told her NOT to clip the puppies coat until she is 8 months old so as to avoid fading of the coat colour.

Is this true? I would have thought nothing could stop a coat from fading if it was going to fade. Surely not clipping will only delay the inevitable?

Hello,

My sister lives in London and is getting a miniature Poodle puppy bitch in a RED colour. It is from a KC Registered breeder and has several generations of health checks behind both parents and five years of checks behind each parent. So I believe the breeder to be knowlegable in this breed.

The breeder has told her NOT to clip the puppies coat until she is 8 months old so as to avoid fading of the coat colour.

Is this true? I would have thought nothing could stop a coat from fading if it was going to fade. Surely not clipping will only delay the inevitable?

I find that advice worrying from a breeder.

In order to make grooming (a lifetime commitment for a poodle) easier, little and often is the way to go for pups. It would be an absolute nightmare to keep a pup well maintained until that time and pretty traumatic for a pup in its second fear period to be presented for grooming for the first time at that age.

I'd expect an 8 week old pup to have had its feet, face and tail clipped at least once when I got it and then to be clipped every six to eight weeks for the rest of its life.

Clipping will not make the coat fade, all it will do is expose faded coat faster.

Pity your sister chose one of the 'newer' colours IMO. Basic black or brown is always my recommendation.

Hello,

I find that advice worrying from a breeder.

In order to make grooming (a lifetime commitment for a poodle) easier, little and often is the way to go for pups. It would be an absolute nightmare to keep a pup well maintained until that time and pretty traumatic for a pup in its second fear period to be presented for grooming for the first time at that age.

I'd expect an 8 week old pup to have had its feet, face and tail clipped at least once when I got it and then to be clipped every six to eight weeks for the rest of its life.

Clipping will not make the coat fade, all it will do is expose faded coat faster.

Pity your sister chose one of the 'newer' colours IMO. Basic black or brown is always my recommendation.

Thanks Poodlefan.

That's what I thought. My first Purebred dog was a black miniature Poodle. He was awesome. :rainbowbridge: Hey, I'm just relieved she's moved away from the "oodle" options!!!

• 2 months later...
Guest rhy&ge

I saw a poodle the other day with what the owner called a "teddy bear cut." So the hair on the face was long and even all over. I thought it looked adorable!!

My question is - is this cut common with poodles?? What do people think?

Personally I dnt mind it if you can keep up with the grooming and keeping the face clean, if unleft, tears and Goobers can form in the coat matting etc making the eye area uncomfortable ( i have seen people leave this ungroomed for a couple weeks!!)

but there is nothing better then a smooth faced poodle!!! :laugh:

Personally I don't like it as clip - I prefer to see poodles with a moustache if their owners like facial hair.

Me neither. Far too easy to get bacteria and yeast growing around the mouth and it lessens airflow to the ears.

Left too long, you get hair in the mouth, wicking in bacteria and leading to gum and tooth issues.

I like a smooth face too! Big Ted grew a moustache during Movember last year but I didnt leave it there all that long.

Edited by poodlefan

Guest rhy&ge

I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on which breeder to buy our future family member from - a poodle, either a toy or miniature.

Is anyone able to PM some recommendations for NSW? I have been in touch with a few, but I am so new to this whole dog buying thing that I'm worried I'm going to make a wrong move and I would hate to accidentally buy from a puppy farm...... Help!! :)

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone :D I have a miniature poodle although his pedigree papers say he is a 'Toy' poodle and I bought as a toy but he stands at 14" at the shoulder :( anyway I had a wonderful lady I meet on here years ago that use to clip him for me but she was 30 minutes drive and I was having trouble getting over there so decided to buy clippers and do him my self which Ive been doing the past few years and doing well but today my clippers died :eek: in the middle of his clip so I had to finish his with scissors so not happy :( anyway my question is what are the best clippers Ive currently got Wahl show pro clippers but they always seem to have trouble getting through his coat as he has more a soft coat rather than a wiry fur so can anyone help

Also is there anyone in the south east that knows a good groomer until I can buy more clippers??

• 6 months later...

Just reading through all the posts in this section and noted many related to 'mini numbers' were older, has there been an increase in number of mini's in past couple of years?

I have seen several poodles who have obviously been sold as 'toy's' as pets who are in the mini height range so not registered, so don't count.

I have also had general public think that the 'mini' when referred to is in fact smaller then the Toy i.e. 'teacup poodle', and people have said oh yours is a 'standard poodle' So lots of education still needed re this.

Good forum glad I found it :)

• 5 weeks later...