First Aid Kit

I made up my own first aid kit.

It's pretty schmick if I don't say so myself :hug:

On the outside I have quiet a few diff vet numbers, in diff areas/after hours, rspca, pound, also the wires number and my local police station.

In it I have surgical scissors (not so much to cut something open, but to cut something of- string etc if it's caught in.Or if theres a kangaroo and it has a joey to cut the teet so I can take the baby), forceps/ tweezers, syringe (for irrigation), thermometre, bowl, dressings (gauze, cotton wool, elastoplast, and a few others), saline, fly repellent (for myself lol), cool packs, disposable gloves, muzzle, small plastic containers/zip lock bags, plastic bags, a lead and pillow case, towel, torch, pen and notebook, tape, anit septic cream (any medications you want in there).

I don't know how many of those things i'd actually ever use/need, but it can come in handy for both people and animals. Luckily I have only had to use it once, when my dog pulled a stitch on the way home from the vets!

Edited by Jessm

I made up my own first aid kit.

It's pretty schmick if I don't say so myself :hug:

On the outside I have quiet a few diff vet numbers, in diff areas/after hours, rspca, pound, also the wires number and my local police station.

In it I have surgical scissors (not so much to cut something open, but to cut something of- string etc if it's caught in.Or if theres a kangaroo and it has a joey to cut the teet so I can take the baby), forceps/ tweezers, syringe (for irrigation), thermometre, bowl, dressings (gauze, cotton wool, elastoplast, and a few others), saline, fly repellent (for myself lol), cool packs, disposable gloves, muzzle, small plastic containers/zip lock bags, plastic bags, a lead and pillow case, towel, torch, pen and notebook, tape, anit septic cream (any medications you want in there).

I don't know how many of those things i'd actually ever use/need, but it can come in handy for both people and animals. Luckily I have only had to use it once, when my dog pulled a stitch on the way home from the vets!

That's great Jessm, mines pretty similar actually although I never thought to put in a muzzle. The only thing I did differently was I bought horse bandages, pretty cheap and they actually stick as you go - thankfully I've never had to use them.

That's great Jessm, mines pretty similar actually although I never thought to put in a muzzle. The only thing I did differently was I bought horse bandages, pretty cheap and they actually stick as you go - thankfully I've never had to use them.

Yeh i've got green ones of them- I love them! The bandages came in handy when she pulled a stitch, I just patched her up and off we went.

I've got the muzzle and those few other bits and pieces just incase there's a stray or something, that I may need to muzzle- I probably wouldn't get close enough to muzzle it but you never know- Or for if one of my kids get a bit snappy cause they're in pain. And it isn't really a muzzle, it's is a stronger bandage material that can be used just to hold them shut- you know, the make shift muzzle. :hug: I looked at a muzzle but you never know what size you may need, and if you know how to 'make' a muzzle, a tough bit of material should successfully restrain many diff sized animals. I said muzzle just for a thought for someone to put in there- really it's all just precaution, hopefully a lot of it doesn't ever need to be used!

Edited by Jessm

Yeh i've got green ones of them- I love them! The bandages came in handy when she pulled a stitch, I just patched her up and off we went.

I've got the muzzle and those few other bits and pieces just incase there's a stray or something, that I may need to muzzle- I probably wouldn't get close enough to muzzle it but you never know- Or for if one of my kids get a bit snappy cause they're in pain. And it isn't really a muzzle, it's is a stronger bandage material that can be used just to hold them shut- you know, the make shift muzzle. :eek: I looked at a muzzle but you never know what size you may need, and if you know how to 'make' a muzzle, a tough bit of material should successfully restrain many diff sized animals. I said muzzle just for a thought for someone to put in there- really it's all just precaution, hopefully a lot of it doesn't ever need to be used!

Mine are hot pink bandages :hug: I think the muzzle is a brilliant idea and I'll add one to mine - thanks :)

Are these cohesive bandages? Best to note that these can tighten and cut off circulation when they are put on.

They are also available and can be cheaper through a stockfeed place or on the net.

I have a soft piece of cotton rope to use as a muzzle as you can make the loop and get it over the nose quite easily and quickly, bit harder to get bitten. I really need to go through mine and have a big chuck out/restock as it is totally out of date! I also need a new bag/container.

I also have a roll of cotton wool and a 1 litre bag of sterile saline in mine, the cotton wool roll is mainly for bandaging horses legs, but the maniac is now gone. It is also good to put under a wrap on a dog as you are less likely to make the wrap too tight.

I have a soft piece of cotton rope to use as a muzzle as you can make the loop and get it over the nose quite easily and quickly, bit harder to get bitten. I really need to go through mine and have a big chuck out/restock as it is totally out of date! I also need a new bag/container.

I also have a roll of cotton wool and a 1 litre bag of sterile saline in mine, the cotton wool roll is mainly for bandaging horses legs, but the maniac is now gone. It is also good to put under a wrap on a dog as you are less likely to make the wrap too tight.

Yeh that's the type of muzzling i'm talking about, it's so much easier as you can have a lot of extra space in the loop you don't have to maneuver mouths and use your hands as much to get them restrained.

And for bandaging we learnt, cotton wool, tape ends, guaze bandage, another bandage (can't think of the name), then is it elastoplast?. There's a name for that type of bandaging too...but can't think of it for the life of me. It's a mans name or something. That's why i've got all those different types.

Oh, I have paddle pop sticks too. That's more for wildlife though- can be used to check down throats and used as splints.

I need a restocking, I used some of my bandages, and i've had some friends raid through it for stuffs for their kids too. It does come in really handy. Mines always in the boot of my car.

Are these cohesive bandages? Best to note that these can tighten and cut off circulation when they are put on.

They are also available and can be cheaper through a stockfeed place or on the net.

I have also seen them for sale in the supermarket first aid aisle.

I would also add a thermometer, vaseline

My dioggy first aid kit has:

VetWrap(cohesive bandage);

Gauze Pads;

Sterile Syringes( good for getting gunk out of eyes if you use sterile water);

Sterile aid packs( like human ones with the trya, tweezers, sterile water);

Scissors;

Micropore tape( to put at the end of Vetwrap, discourages the chewing to get vetwrap off);

Peptosyl;

Nervatona Stress Relief Tablets( human quality homeopathic product);

Ph numbers;

Also spare leaad etc.

Need to get bigger container :rolleyes:

Mine has all of the usual first aid stuff but also has Stingoes, tube of Neocort, Busopan, Maxalon tablets, Chlorhex soloution, asprin, Scourban, anti-inflamatories, injectable saline, pinetarsal, Vytrate (concentrate ), electrolytes, antihystamines, and I can't remember what else off the top of my head. But we are basically set up so that we can cover just about anything that could possibly go wrong on a weekend away.