Leonberger

Troy

Hi

I am new to posting on this forum, though I have been reading posts for a while. I have been researching large dogs, and have been really looking at a Newfie, Leo or a Bernese Mtn Dog, and was wondering if any of you could point me to a reputable Leonberger breeder who you would trust to buy a Leo puppy from. I live in NSW, but am willing to travel to Victoria or QLD for a good breeder who I can stay in touch with for any issues arising with the dog.

Also if you know of any planned litters in late 2010, your help would be much appreciated. Also, how would you go about importing a dog? Would you have to travel to NZ for instance?

Thanks for reading...

Edited by lionelmesssi

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi lionelmessi, and congrats on chossing a fantastic breed :laugh:.

I would start with NSW Leos, the NSW Leonberger Club. They have a website and you could contact Beth (LovemyLeos, who has posted in this thread) for more info. There are a list of breeders on the site which may be a good starting point too. Certainly nothing wrong with choosing a breeder in another state (country) if they happen to be the right one for you either. My Leo came from Tasmania :laugh: .

Thanks for the support & help. I've sent an email to Konigslair, thanks for the recommendation.

How much do you guys reckon it will cost for a male puppy? Just a round figure? And Kath, how did you bring him to QLD from Tasmania? Can anyone inform me about how importing a dog from, for example, New-Zealand would work?

Thanks again...

Edited by lionelmesssi

Hi again

The cost of your puppy may vary, depending on the breeder you end up choosing, but $2000 - $2500 is pretty much the norm. I lived in Canberra at the time that we got Mia, so she was flown from Tassie to Sydney, where we drove up to meet her. She was shipped with her sister Elsa (Lovemyleos is her mum), so had company on the plane.

Marshall and Jenny at Konigslair will help you with your questions too.....even if you end up getting a puppy elsewhere. They are both really lovely.

Good Luck!! :laugh:

Hi Beth!! How are you going!! How is Elsa....and Chardy....and who is your new baby?? And Mia says happy birthday to her sister too! :) Yes indeed, the Leo world is a small one :D.

Mia is fantastic! Still the loveable goofball she has always been. I can't believe that you don't find grooming your girls a big job? But then again, you are a dog groomer, so must enjoy it to some degree :laugh:. I also think Mia has an exceptional coat - long, thick and easily matted, but she is also desexed.

It would be so nice to catch up again.....wish we were in NSW still so we could come to the fundays!

HI Kath

Elsa and Chardy are doing great Chardy is as Cute and silly as ever, Elsa is doing well in Agility now she can weave quite well now (most days anyway) and loves it.. Its a lot of Fun.. We have little chance in winning due to her size but I don't care as long as we have fun and she can get passes with out beating others so its a good sport, Elsa is only small and fine for a Leo at only 40kg so she is perfect for Agility.

My New Girl 'Zephyr' is 7 months old and I imported her from NZ from "Leonnz" I fell in love with the out standing Temperment of her Parents and after meeting Wynnie (Kerrie Ports in Tasmaina's New Girl with the same mother) I could not resist a new pup fromher following litter... so after a very long 3 month wait she few over to OZ at the age of 12 weeks... she is a real Delight, very sooky, but she is very desturctive when left along in the yard... But she is starting to settle down now. at 7 months Zephyr is a touch taller than my other 2 girls so she is going to be a big girl when she grows up.

Photo is of Elsa (Left) and Zephyr at 6 months old

post-30800-1262821441_thumb.jpg

With the Hair I would rather the long Leo hair than the short hair of the pointers coat when it comes to being in the house.. I used to own a X lab - Bull mastiff (black) and she hair got into everything it weaves into the lounge, clothes etc.. and you can't get it out... Where the long coat tents to stick on everything but you can wipe it off with a clothes brush or a moist hand.. having said that I don't wear black and most of my clothes and house furishings are bought with brown Leonberger fur in mind :)

Also Male Leos are nice and impressive with the Mane, but remember they are bigger and also have much longer hair.. so if you not fussed on grooming but Love Leos best to with a Female.

GROOMING - If you want a good Slicker brush for this type of coat try the "Les Poochs Pro Brush" Purple one.. 'Firm / Firm' wide.. they are very expencive at around $100 for a brush but you get a brush with 2 sides and they are magic through coats like this. The one that is cheeper and just 'Firm' only has one usable brush side the other side is a sort of Comb which I can't see it being of any use. I would rather 2 brushes.. at least when One side is full you can turn if over and keep brushing.

Dont' bother with the regular(small) size as they are WAY to small with only about 1 inch square of brush

The Mat-Zapper one (red) is great too but its more expencive and does the same job, just a touch firmer. I have both does not make a lot of Difference. here is a web site to the brushes if anyone is interested.

http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/d/LPPFBW.../f---wide-size/

post-30800-1262819674_thumb.jpg

Victorian Leonbergers - there are more Leonbergers in Victoria than any other state at the moment. photo of the puppys in the cart was taken on the weekend in Victoria when I visited 'Adlihtam Leonbergers' to see their 7 week old Leo pups... Soooo cute!!! If you contacted Lyndsay of Adlihtam Leo's she could put you in touch with other Leo people, its a fairly small world and most of us know each other. or you can go to the NSW Leo site www.nswleos.com and find a list of Breeders both in OZ and NZ.

NSW Leo Assn. has Fundays and we have around 14 Leos join us these days which is very good as we only have around 30 in NSW.. Interested people are more than welcome to come along to these days to see all the different Leo as they can and get to know them. I find this one of the best ways people can see if Leos are a Dog for them.

Beth.

Hi Beth!!

How is Zephyr going now? Bet she is huuuuge now!! Much bigger than back in November!

Big thumbsup for the fun days! That is how i get my Leo fix until I am able to get one of my own!

meganm has a Leo and has bred her. I think it was the first litter in 9yrs in NSW

I think that was about 2yrs ago now. Maybe someone on here has one of her pups.

Her bitch is called Freya

Furrychild Leos had a litter last year. Met some of the gorgeous pups in November they were around 4 months old if i remember correctly. Also met Freyja who was still growing her coat back after having her pups was funny seeing a short haired leo :laugh:

Yes, we had a litter last year. The naked Leo was Myrtle who is Freyja's daughter from our first litter 3 years ago. Her coat is growing back nicely, and enough that she is back in the show ring now (as of last weekend). It is quite nice having a short haired Leo for a little while though, the grooming is a breeze :rofl:

Lionelmessei - if you'd like to meet some Leonbergers there is a dog show on the 7th March where there will be a number of Leo's attending and this might be a good way to meet up with some Leonbergers and their owners in the flesh.

bye

Megan

I am Meganmm's sister and I have one of her Leos, Singe.

I think you may be thinking of Freyja's daugher, Myrtle, who had pups in August. My Singe is from that litter. Singe's brother, Grizz, and her sister, Violet, are also being shown at various shows around Sydney at the moment.

Here are some photos of Singe taken by the lovely and very talented TerraNik:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terranik/sets...57623125013372/

Click on the baby Leo fuzzy bum shot to take you to some more photos. She is five months old in these photos, you can get an idea of her size from the last one where she is being held up by Woofenpup.

Yes, we had a litter last year. The naked Leo was Myrtle who is Freyja's daughter from our first litter 3 years ago. Her coat is growing back nicely, and enough that she is back in the show ring now (as of last weekend). It is quite nice having a short haired Leo for a little while though, the grooming is a breeze :rofl:

Lionelmessei - if you'd like to meet some Leonbergers there is a dog show on the 7th March where there will be a number of Leo's attending and this might be a good way to meet up with some Leonbergers and their owners in the flesh.

bye

Megan

Time flies. I didn't think Myrtle was that old LOL

Leonbergers are just e miss her every day.

We are saving up to be able to buy another puppy in the near future (hopefully before the end of this year) as no other breed comes close in my opinion to the tremendous character of these beautiful dogs. (having said that - if there are any free Leos...male, female, puppy, young adult, teenager............ needing a home - pick me! pick me!!)

meganmm, where and what time is the dog show that you spoke of? Are there certainly going to be Leonbergers there?

Hi lionelmesssi,

Just in case Megan doesn't see this, she and I will definitely be at the show on the 7 March, and lovemyleos may be there too along with some others.

The show is Blacktown Kennel and Training Club, Blacktown City Canine Centre, Owen Street Glendenning at starts at 9.00am although we will probably be there a little later.

Hi Josh, Megan, Beth, Kath, Lyndsay and everyone else on this thread,

It's taken me AGES to figure out how to reply to you guys - been trying off and on, then get peeved off and just leave it, but finally figured it as I was using my NZ Dogzonline details and they didn't work for Oz, but it seems to work now. I even emailed Troy, but still couldn't get around it. So here I am. Do these posts appear in your normal email inbox too if someone replies?

Anyway, I'll re-introduce myself as I've only succeeded in a couple of sporadic replies in the past, and still don't know how to get back to those threads LOL. Not that computer savvy!

I'm Elsha Burns from NZ and we own 14 leonbergers, plus at the moment a rehome and running on a puppy for Sydney until mid March. Got our next litter due Mid March, so don't always get time to check into the forums - just inbetween my busy schedule. If anyone has any questions on leos, feel free to fire away, but you've got a couple of good leo representitives here already, so I'm sure you're in good hands anyway.

Nice to meet you here too Kath - tried to get hold of you a while back, but failed. To the person who asked about free leonbergers, they do come up as rehomes occasionally in Australia as well, but you'll have to contact me privately - [email protected] . Sometimes they are free and sometimes, if I have to buy them back or spey or neuter first or whatever else costs come up first, you pay for the costs and the transport, but I'm very choosy as to where the rehomes go, cos they are extra special precious kids that need to have an excellent suitable new home. You can check contact details on our breeder's website link here under Leonburns.

Just wondered if you're supposed to only use people's usernames or is it OK to use their first name if you know it? Some of them are pretty long-winded. Next thing I have to learn is how to include photos in the emails LOL.

Bye for now,

Elsha.

• 1 month later...

Hope to see more interesting things on here about beautiful Leo's!

Ofcourse there is nothing more rewarding then meeting them in person.

Cant wait to have a Leo in our lives, especially as an assistance dog for Tithen!

;) More info, more pictures!! :driving:

Edited by Silverwolf

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The oldest living Leonberger in Australia is Pascha. :o

The oldest living New Zealand bred Leo is Pascha :)

She is also believed to be the oldest living Leonberger in the whole of the Southern hemisphere.

Not a bad achievment

Her long term goal is to become the oldest living Leonberger in the world.

• 1 month later...
Hope to see more interesting things on here about beautiful Leo's!

Ofcourse there is nothing more rewarding then meeting them in person.

Cant wait to have a Leo in our lives, especially as an assistance dog for Tithen!

:) More info, more pictures!! :D

Hi Silverwolf.

I wanted to start a new topic, but I'm not able to - don't know why it won't let me :-(. We have quite a few of our offspring owners of leonbergers in Queensland, especially in Brisbane, so maybe I could organise for you to visit one of our puppy owners to meet some leos in the flesh and ask questions of the owners? Just let me know what suburb or town you live in and I'll let you know if we have any there. They make fantastic assistance dogs if trained well from a puppy. My email addy is [email protected] if you want to keep your contact details and whereabouts private :-). Warm Regards, Elsha.

post-34166-1279252200_thumb.jpg