American Staffordshire Terrier

Troy

Hey there new to this forum so please take it easy on me. Im a dog lover but im new to the game. We currently have a small dog (3 years old) and im now really confident with dogs.

Been playing around with my friends American Staffy and i have really grown fond of them. They are a beautiful dog. I'm looking into getting one. But i'm afraid i'm clueless in what questions to ask. I know the basics to buy off registered breeders(with paperwork) and have paper work also confirming there healthy. But what kind of paperwork should i be asking for to prove the dog is high quality or champion quality? What should i be looking for in this paperwork? What else do i need to be asking? What should i be looking at to get a top tier quality pup? I'm looking into the blue color, i'm really into this color and i dont see many around. My choice will not be affected by price, just quality.

If you read this whole thread the breeders and longer term owners have indicated what you need to check for and ask about.

All I can really offer is to do your homework.. Research, research and then research some more..

Thanks for the reply. As the breeders are far away it is hard to tell through photos. I did read the info on the front page but would love to know if people know top tier breeders which i will then study. But i must of missed some information in this thread i will read all the thread and hopefully some of that information will help me in my quest. I dont rush buy i like learning and getting advice from people with knowledge to eventually make the right choice. After all, this is a friend for life.

I think with so many people just breeding to make money (not caring what dog they breed to what bitch and ending up with pups that have health or behavioural issues), it pays to be extra vigilant in searching for a pup - more so with the bigger stronger dogs because you want them to be the best they can be.

I don't have any real experience with American Staffords but they are glorious dogs to look at.

Go to dog shows in your area and talk to breeders and show people about the breed you are interested in.

They usually are the best place to start - you will see dogs from certain lines and you will see a look that appeals to you more than another. Same with temperament - some are more 'game' and some more 'chilled out'.

Good luck - they really are a gorgeous breed of dog.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm looking into the blue color, i'm really into this color and i dont see many around. My choice will not be affected by price, just quality.

Hi M United :)

Like you I really fell in love with the blue colour, I did lots of internet snooping before choosing a breeder...forums, websites, google etc

Unfortunately since I got my guys nearly 4 years ago the blues have become extremely popular and there is plenty of "registered" breeders just pumping out blues with no concern for health, conformation/breed standard etc.

As Staffyluv suggests go to a show and chat with breeders, and remember you can always buy interstate and get the pup flown to you :D

OH and don't be fooled into thinking that blue should cost more!

Can someone who has never experienced dog showing, easily learn to show their dog? Whats involved? We have a papered bitch coming next month (still a pup), so can I learn to show her?

Anyone can learn to show :) though I haven't :o

I notice you are in WA. There is a lady that does show training at the canine centre info here

The Amstaff club also used to have a training night there, but it's not listed in that pdf but is still listed on the American Staffordshire Terrier Club of Western Australia

A couple of breeders i have talked tell me similar things. There lines are carefully selected, health checked and bread for good temperament. It sounds very good but since i im not an expert in this i am taking the breeders word. Apart from advice from breeders and other dog owners is there anything i can do make sure they are the real deal and not just telling you what you want to hear?

All I can really suggest is have a look around The American Staffordshire Terrier Club of NSW and maybe contact some of the breeders listed on there, or even email someone on the committee with any questions you have.

Also as already suggested go to some shows and chat with the people there.

It would probably also help in you would consider a different colour.

When the breeder I got my 2 from had litters she asked my PREFERRED colour, which was obviously blue :D , I also told her other colours that I liked, eg red & blue fawn.

I was lucky that Electra was born and available to me, but would have been just as happy with any pup from her.

One of the things I remember being told about the diluted colours (blue, fawn etc) are that there are issues breeding a diluted dog to a diluted bitch - creates problems.

Sorry not a genetics person but I did find it interesting - do a bit of research (hopefully one of our wonderful breeders or an experienced DOLer who know about this stuff will see this and give you some links to look at.

They are beautiful but in all honesty, my preference would be for conformation, temperament, health and then colour running a distant last on my list of perfect dog..

Edited to add one link on colour dilution alopecia.

Link

Edited by Staffyluv

Can someone who has never experienced dog showing, easily learn to show their dog? Whats involved? We have a papered bitch coming next month (still a pup), so can I learn to show her?

Hi GT

I started out having never shown a dog in my life and with no local breeders to go to for advice, In fact, I was the only one for a long time with an Amstaff! I was able to enter shows and learn from others. the judges were nice to me and most of the other terrier show people were great offering advice and teaching me, The breeder of your puppy may have even sold a pup to somebody not far from you who shows and would be happy to have your company and show you around. Even go and watch a show while you wait for your puppy to arrive.

I also remember the kennel clubs used to host show classes which were great because it was anyone and everyone asking everything. First up though, talk to your breeder and see if they can put you I touch with local Amstaff exhibitors.

Happy to answer more specific questions for you too. Have you joined your state kennel association? That's pretty much where you will get most of the how to's and then for tips watch others, then you will need to look at the calendar of events, learn to enter you puppy in the correct age and sex class etc. Not too hard after you have put in your first entry :D

Good luck and have fun.

Hey there new to this forum so please take it easy on me. Im a dog lover but im new to the game. We currently have a small dog (3 years old) and im now really confident with dogs.

Been playing around with my friends American Staffy and i have really grown fond of them. They are a beautiful dog. I'm looking into getting one. But i'm afraid i'm clueless in what questions to ask. I know the basics to buy off registered breeders(with paperwork) and have paper work also confirming there healthy. But what kind of paperwork should i be asking for to prove the dog is high quality or champion quality? What should i be looking for in this paperwork? What else do i need to be asking? What should i be looking at to get a top tier quality pup? I'm looking into the blue color, i'm really into this color and i dont see many around. My choice will not be affected by price, just quality.

If you read this whole thread the breeders and longer term owners have indicated what you need to check for and ask about.

All I can really offer is to do your homework.. Research, research and then research some more..

Thanks for the reply. As the breeders are far away it is hard to tell through photos. I did read the info on the front page but would love to know if people know top tier breeders which i will then study. But i must of missed some information in this thread i will read all the thread and hopefully some of that information will help me in my quest. I dont rush buy i like learning and getting advice from people with knowledge to eventually make the right choice. After all, this is a friend for life.

I think with so many people just breeding to make money (not caring what dog they breed to what bitch and ending up with pups that have health or behavioural issues), it pays to be extra vigilant in searching for a pup - more so with the bigger stronger dogs because you want them to be the best they can be.

I don't have any real experience with American Staffords but they are glorious dogs to look at.

Go to dog shows in your area and talk to breeders and show people about the breed you are interested in.

They usually are the best place to start - you will see dogs from certain lines and you will see a look that appeals to you more than another. Same with temperament - some are more 'game' and some more 'chilled out'.

Good luck - they really are a gorgeous breed of dog.

Hi M United

I agree with Staffyluv, there is so much to research and plan and decide and especially with a breed that seems to have variations... You will see breeders on DOL advertising all sorts of conformation types that may or may not really be what you think. Talk to breeders in several states, if you are in NSW also talk to QLD and Vic breeders as freighting isn't that expensive and if you are going to get it right and have a lifelong best buddy then definitely spend the money, even WA freight won't be as bad as the wrong pup. It took me nearly two years to find my last puppy :D

But he was worth it.

I'm more than happy to talk to you about more specific things to ask about and look for and even which breeders I found good to talk to. I don't want to be naming breeders on here as I don't think you are supposed to whether I want to be positive or negative so let me know if I can offer many suggestions/ideas on how to find the right puppy. Most of all, think about the main reason for choosing an Amstaff. They are awesome dogs but you have to remember that they are very strong dogs and they can be so switched on to you so really know what your plans are. I think the biggest downside can be that people are fearful of a big strong muscular breed so it can be a challenge in lots of situations. I walked my two girls on lead, never off due to loose dogs, and they got attacked by a teeny tiny dog that was off lead, imagine the reactions if my girls had reacted differently and not been beautifully behaved. That sort of reaction can prove a challenge.

As Staffyluv said, go to some shows, take a long time, watch, ask questions, get opinions from breeders on other breeders that do and don't have their lines. once you have been to a few shows you might see more blue than you ever thought possible hehehe. I love the blue if it is a really strong deep blue, not the washed out paler diluted blues even though they are still pretty. The deeper blues perhaps have less risk of health issues but try and focus on temperament then conformation and colour last, if you end up with a blue it's a bonus :D My first girl was a blue brindle, so she had the fawn through her but was darker than the blue fawns you see these days and since then I've ended up falling for the reds with gorgeous white markings :D at the end of the day, you want to just do your homework and take your time. Feel free to pm me if I can help more.

Thanks for all this info it really helps me. Ye i do understand there a strong dog. Ive been spending time every day with my friends dogs. He has an Amstaff (to be honest it think there is some pitbull in her she has shark like teeth) She is 6 months old. And his slightly larger dog Bullmastiff cross Bull Arab (3 years old). That dog is very strong and to be honest very aggressive, half those issues is the handler himself but that is another issue/topic. I got him to watch Dog whisperer hopefully he will get some tips there to help him control his dog.

I saw a fair few breeders bredding blues that i thought in due time i would find a top blue pupp, but after talking to a few people and some advice on here i wont restrict myself to just a blue color. Blue Fawn is pretty nice also actually. I actually never new the color names of the Amstaffs this might seem like a really stupid question but why is the blue fawn like a light goldy brown color and not close to a blue color? This color is blue mixed with fawn (goldy color)?

ANyhow when choosing a pup now i will go for:

Cleared healthy parents (proven to me), Cleared healthy pupps + Pedigree

Bread for temperament not huge size from a breeder who loves there job

color

Im also not restricting myself to state as delivary is not price these days.

Edited by M United

I'm glad you are not sticking to just looking at their gorgeous blue colourings, the blue fawn wasn't really around in Australia when I first got into amstaffs, it's very pretty but I'm not sure if its just a washed out red or if they say blue fawn because as pups they had a little bit of a blue tinge, which is possible, my first girl as a blue brindle was quite blue as a baby but turned more red brindle as she grew and ended up a sort of very mottled brindle, very minimal striping on her coat.

Good luck finding a baby and ask them everything you can thi of no matter if it seems rude or silly, you need to know everything no matter what breed you are looking at. The breeders comments about each other will be good too, some will happily give positive comments on others and to me that says something about their own reputation if they are not there to just criticise others and see if they will tell you the faults they see in their own dogs so you can see how that compares with your thoughts on what they should look like, there is so much variation in them.

Have fun.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for all this info it really helps me. Ye i do understand there a strong dog. Ive been spending time every day with my friends dogs. He has an Amstaff (to be honest it think there is some pitbull in her she has shark like teeth) She is 6 months old. And his slightly larger dog Bullmastiff cross Bull Arab (3 years old). That dog is very strong and to be honest very aggressive, half those issues is the handler himself but that is another issue/topic. I got him to watch Dog whisperer hopefully he will get some tips there to help him control his dog.

Just popping in to comment on the bold above that there is nothing unique about Pit Bull's teeth, jaw structure or anything else :) All dogs have sharp, big teeth, and there certainly wouldn't be any clear difference between the teeth of a Pit and an Amstaff, which are genetically one and the same (although bred along different lines for quite some time now) :)

Has anyone ever heard of Kronosamstaf?

Just saw this but based on their info - they may not be ANKC registered, just registered with the QLD CCC

Link to their details on Pet Directory

That is about all I can find on them - looks like they sell most of their dogs via gumtree (there were a few old gumtree ads - none of the dogs sold had hip or elbow scores (not that, that means anything, it is just noteworthy)..

Has anyone ever heard of Kronosamstaf?

Just saw this but based on their info - they may not be ANKC registered, just registered with the QLD CCC

Link to their details on Pet Directory

That is about all I can find on them - looks like they sell most of their dogs via gumtree (there were a few old gumtree ads - none of the dogs sold had hip or elbow scores (not that, that means anything, it is just noteworthy)..

I know nothing about this breeder, but just wish to explain that individuals do not hold ANKC memberships or registration, nor do breeders.

The state kennel clubs are the ones that are members of the ANKC, therefore if this breeder is a member of CCCQ (which they state they are) then this basically means that they are under the banner of the ANKC.

Just for clarification :)

• 5 weeks later...

What is my relation with the breed?

I have an American pit bull terrier; same dog, different name.

American Staffordshire Terriers have been bred from pure bred American Pit Bull Terriers since 1934 and no other breed of dog has ever featured in the American Staffordshire Terrier's bloodline. All American Staffordshire Terriers are American Pit Bull Terriers, but not all American Pit Bull Terriers are American Staffordshire Terriers. The AST is a subset of the APBT.

And back in 1974, when the AmStaffs bloodline was getting a bit poorly, the American Staffordshire Terrier mob opened up its bloodline to an injection of (you guessed it) American Pit Pull Terrier DNA.

Both the AST and the APBT are fine dogs, but they are really the same dog. And they both have big teeth, M United.

ricey