Troy

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is the difference between an American Staffordshire Terrier and an Staffordshire Bull Terrier

About 20kg in my experience...

They are very similar in temperament, both great with kids, an American Staffordshire terrier is a lot more dog to handle in terms of size.

What is the difference between an American Staffordshire Terrier and an English Staffordshire Terrier?

Staffordshire Bull Terrier vs American Staffordshire Terrier.

Amstaffs are more placid, Staffords are more 'terrier' seems to be a commonly quoted difference. Of course this is a generalisation which depends on both pedigree and individual dogs.

Some say Amstaffs are dumber than Staffords but again this is a generalisation lol

Despite the similarity in names the two breeds are actually not all that closely related and are not varieties of the same breed. They have no common ancestors for over 80 years which is a long time in dog breed terms :-)

Physically they are quite different, Amstaffs are pretty much rectangular while Staffords are much squarer. Their heads are quite different and the most obvious difference is size. Amstaffs are not meant to be white or mostly white, Staffords are perfectly acceptable in white.

Hope its ok to ask this here!

my niece has a 6 month old American Staffordshire, it has had vomiting and diarrhea so she took him to the vet and he said the pup is sensitive to fat. so we are looking at new foods, on black hawk now.

my question is at this age what percentage of protein should he be getting and how low would you go with the fat content?

the breeder is not interested so no help there!

What is the difference between an American Staffordshire Terrier and an Staffordshire Bull Terrier

They are very similar in temperament, both great with kids, an American Staffordshire terrier is a lot more dog to handle in terms of size.

Try 10kgs difference. No Amstaff should weigh 30+kgs

Try 10kgs difference. No Amstaff should weigh 30+kgs

Ruffles the weight thing gets me with the ANKC standard - it says (along the lines of) 'the dogs weight should be in proportion to the height'.

In the case of males 46-48cm..

Some seem to be leaner than others - and there are some that are grotesquely overweight (or look like they are).

So a dog at 46cm high should be what weight?

How do you tell? because a dog that is very muscular will weigh more than a dog that doesn't have a lot of muscle on.

Just curious because I have been in a few debates about these dogs that are being bred that weigh 40kg and are just huge compared to what I 'think' an Amstaff should look like..

My favourite girl from years ago was about 17 1/2 inches (44.5cm) so well within the preferred height for a bitch being 17 to 18 inches, and she weighed maybe 23 kilo. She was what we used to consider a good weight for height. Her mum who I also owned was 19 inches and was about 21 kilo, she was the taller lighter built version and while she was ok, I had hoped she would stay within the preferred height and be a little more solidly built, but not be huge like the massive dogs I've seen in the last ten years. While the standard says weight should be in proportion to height, I still don't believe people should be breeding 23 and 25 inch dogs when the preferred height for males is 18 to 19 (46-48 cm) Just because it is only a preferred height doesn't mean a reputable breeder should go for a way oversized dog just because it's in proportion. I remember meeting a breeder whose eight month old male pup was already 34 kilo and I didn't like it at all, it's legs were as solid as I imagine a mastiff pup of the same age would have been.

Sorry Taliecat, I don't mean any disrespect to you or your boy, I just wrote how I feel, not about your dog, personally I think we have a standard and should be aiming for it not disregarding it because it says preferred height instead of maximum height. It's also why we have main and limited register, because we breed to improve and we know there will always be pups in a litter that don't have good enough conformation or temperament etc.

Whoops, should add my heights may be out because I haven't looked at standards since I was showing 20 years ago that's why I'm still talking inches :)

No disrespect taken!

I would have much preferred for him to stay within the breed standard as I didn't want a big dog, but the bugger just keeps growing!

I much prefer the slimmer more streamlined (and to standard) appearance.

I guess it just shows how much variation in size can come from two very average sized parents.

It is interesting to see the differences in height and weights.

I have always had SBTs and I now have Ziggy who is a pound pup but chipped staffy cross - he is way too big to be SBT at 45cm high (at his shoulder) and 25-26kg (depending on the week).

So I figure he is probably more an amstaff cross.

His personality is also totally different to any SBT I have ever owned or been around - he is more chilled out but still very active, keen to learn new things and loves getting out and about. He also loves all other animals that we meet, especially other dogs.

I would love a purebred Amstaff - one day.

I had a purebred AmStaff girl. Best dog with kids and people in general. As far as her size compared to an English - think taller and rangier but muscular. Very powerful dog. She was medium sized with a head in proportion. Have you seen the freaks that are being bred with oversized heads and short blocky bodies? She looked nothing like that - she was athletic and solid.

It is interesting to see the differences in height and weights.

I have always had SBTs and I now have Ziggy who is a pound pup but chipped staffy cross - he is way too big to be SBT at 45cm high (at his shoulder) and 25-26kg (depending on the week).

So I figure he is probably more an amstaff cross.

His personality is also totally different to any SBT I have ever owned or been around - he is more chilled out but still very active, keen to learn new things and loves getting out and about. He also loves all other animals that we meet, especially other dogs.

I would love a purebred Amstaff - one day.

I always enjoy Ziggy updates through the forum, I suspect from his looks and personality and all you mention that there's a fair amount of Amstaff in him :D he's a gorgeous boy. If I can work out how to do photos from an iPad I'll pop some photos of my old (long ago crossed the bridge) girls and a boy who I still miss and love dearly all these years later. I make up for missing them with Ziggy fixes of course :o

Yes stressmagnet, I am with you about the big oversize beasts that are around these days. I think my last Amstaff, a boy, would have been oversize and not as well proportioned as I feel an Amstaff should be but he was the dearest soul and snuggled up with the cats and the swf. He was a fatty boombah puppy but looked heavy in build as he grew, sadly he died tragically at six months :( my heart broke that day and that's why I can't think about another Amstaff.

• 1 month later...

Having lived with both pure bred Amstaffs and pure bred Staffords not only are there significant physical differences they have very different personalities in my experience.

English Staffords or Staffordshire Bull Terriers are 14 - 16 inches are quite stocky in appearance. There heads should be approx 1/3 muzzle 2/3 skull.

Amstaffs or American Staffordshire Terriers are 17 - 19 inches and have more leg, a more elongated head with not as distinct stop

img204.jpg

I find Staffords more energetic and exuberant then Amstaffs. Staffords like to be "doing" things with you whereas I've found even from a young age Amstaffs are more willing to just be with you even if that's laying on the lounge.

• 1 month later...