Havanese

Troy

Hello :confused: I have a few questions about this breed.

1) what are the waiting lists like? I'm not looking for another dog -now- (I have a sick older girl and a 7 yo boy) but would it be worth going on a breeders list if I was looking in the next year or two?

2) how difficult are they to show?

3) what is their coat like in its natural state? straight? wavy? easy to style? are they an ideal breed for a groomer?

4) is the breed genuinely playful? I've never had a dog that likes playing with toys...

5) how hard would it be to find a breeder that does entire health testing? Like, for every possible health issue?

6) since they're a rare breed in Aus how hard would it be to find a breeder happy to sell a pup to a pet home?

Thank you.

OH and bonus question - are these an ideal breed to recommend to someone who is looking for a "purebred maltese shitzu"?

1) what are the waiting lists like? I'm not looking for another dog -now- (I have a sick older girl and a 7 yo boy) but would it be worth going on a breeders list if I was looking in the next year or two?

2) how difficult are they to show?

Very easy, I handle a Hav at shows

3) what is their coat like in its natural state? straight? wavy? easy to style? are they an ideal breed for a groomer?

They would be good for you Koemi :laugh: i mean for a groomer :(

4) is the breed genuinely playful? I've never had a dog that likes playing with toys...

VERY HAPPY!!!! plays intelligent

5) how hard would it be to find a breeder that does entire health testing? Like, for every possible health issue?

6) since they're a rare breed in Aus how hard would it be to find a breeder happy to sell a pup to a pet home?

• 2 years later...

How would a Havanese cope as an only dog? This would be in a household where both owners currently work full-time. I know it would depend a lot on the individual dog, but are Havs more or less likely to deal with being alone during the day?

Hi Longclaw. My brother & his family have an 9 month old Havanese, 'Lola'. She is an absolute delight & copes very well on her own as both adults in the house work full-time & the kids are at school.

She is an awesome family dog. Great with the children & is very well balanced.Quite happy on her own but loves to see everybody come home too. I didn't know anything about Hav's before Lola, now I just

adore the breed. I would totally recommend them. Lola is just a fun loving, bubbly little girl that oozes personality & are very bright to boot. :)

just wanted to add that Lola is such a hit in my brothers family home that there is "talk" of getting Havanese no.2 "Charlie" to add to there dog loving family. They recently went on family camping trip which Lola just loved & she was so well behaved for one so young :)

Edited by BC Crazy

• 3 years later...

There has not been much activity on this thread for a while, but we recently got a Havanese pup.

He is about 3 and a half months old now and he is one of the most playful pups I have met. Sometimes a bit too playful, like when I am busy trying to get some work done and he is under the desk trying to work out how to untie my shoes!

He is purebred from a registered breeder, but we got him as a pet, so we will not be showing him and will be keeping him in a nice "puppy cut".

We chose this breed after a lot of research into temperaments, shedding, size etc and we are happy that we found out about Havanese. It seems that most people who meet him have no idea what a Havanese is so they are still a rarity. It has gotten to the point that I am thinking about making some business cards with some breed information on them that I can just hand to people when they ask what he is.

He comes to work with me every day so he hasn't spent much time alone by himself at home yet, but I really do need to start getting him used to it because I am sure it would be easier to start something like that at younger ages.

How do other peoples Hav's react to water and bath times? We don't have a huge place so I wash him in the shower to save on mess and he loves it. It has gotten to the point that sometimes I am in the shower and he sits just outside it barking at me and wanting to get in. We haven't taken him anywhere that he could go swimming yet, but I am looking forward to the warmer summer months to see how he will react to bodies of water.

When it comes to how he reacts with children, he has his moments when he can get a little bit nippy. We are gradually controlling that, and he is just a pup so he is still teething, but it is something that we have to look out for when he is with small children as we don't want anyone complaining that he has bitten their kids face/hands etc.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how many Hav's there are in Australia now?

Also, are there any other Havanese owners in Sydney? It would be great to meet other Hav's (and owners of course) and trade grooming tips, info etc.