Australian Kelpie

Troy

Visit the kennels and meet the sire (if there) and the dam - dont be bluffed by the Championship titles they are pretty meaningless in Australia - I would take note of any herding tials or obedience results in the lines. If they say 'both parents work' then I would like to see them working. If I was buying for stock purposes. Agility- flyball are debatable indicators of temperament. Ask about hip/elbows but you would be lucky to find people who do it consistantly. Breed average for Kelpies hips 12.5. Assess you life-style and you requirements. Compared to other breeds I have owned and trained (GSD's,ACD's, Labradors, Border Collies's) Kelpies are demanding and the ones with a reasonable to strong working ability can be very demanding. The age I am now (48), health and lifestyle suits the Labradors - I wouldnt return to Kelpies now. But they were great when I was younger and single.

What do you mean by Agility/flyball not being an indication of temperament- do you mean in their ability to work stock or their temperament in general?

im your age nearly and i have 2 kelpies and they a perfect for my lifestyle. Wouldnt want any other dog.I dont find kelpies demanding and i have had a few in my years, as pups you have to train them just like any other dog, if you want more out of them thats your choice. Yes you are right ,It does come down to pick the right dog for lifestyle, but hasnt that always sort of been the case. I run my dogs x country every morning for an hr and they love it. My 6 month old girl you wouldnt even known she was in the house from day one, she has never chewed anything, cried , been naughty in any way. I could almost say the perfect angel:=)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Visit the kennels and meet the sire (if there) and the dam - dont be bluffed by the Championship titles they are pretty meaningless in Australia - I would take note of any herding tials or obedience results in the lines. If they say 'both parents work' then I would like to see them working. If I was buying for stock purposes. Agility- flyball are debatable indicators of temperament. Ask about hip/elbows but you would be lucky to find people who do it consistantly. Breed average for Kelpies hips 12.5. Assess you life-style and you requirements. Compared to other breeds I have owned and trained (GSD's,ACD's, Labradors, Border Collies's) Kelpies are demanding and the ones with a reasonable to strong working ability can be very demanding. The age I am now (48), health and lifestyle suits the Labradors - I wouldnt return to Kelpies now. But they were great when I was younger and single.

What do you mean by Agility/flyball not being an indication of temperament- do you mean in their ability to work stock or their temperament in general?

Hi Woofenpup

I Probably got tired typing after a while :shrug: - so I didnt explain myself well - either type of breed can do flyball/agility exceptionally well so if you are particularly looking for working ability I would like to see the parents working.

im your age nearly and i have 2 kelpies and they a perfect for my lifestyle. Wouldnt want any other dog.I dont find kelpies demanding and i have had a few in my years, as pups you have to train them just like any other dog, if you want more out of them thats your choice. Yes you are right ,It does come down to pick the right dog for lifestyle, but hasnt that always sort of been the case. I run my dogs x country every morning for an hr and they love it. My 6 month old girl you wouldnt even known she was in the house from day one, she has never chewed anything, cried , been naughty in any way. I could almost say the perfect angel:=)

Hi Sandra

Another brain-fart on my part sorry ;) I should have added I had bone cancer 6 years ago and 1/3 of the anterior tibia was removed, 5 months in hospital, a further 12 months in a wheelchair. Although I have returned to full time work now, even though I am back in my feet I am seriously restricted - I would have trouble running to the bathroom let alone running cross country. :shrug: I have 1 geriatric show titled Kelpie couch potato who's prioity in life is to be on the couch, a borderxkelpiexcoolie who does obedience (there was an brief article about us in the January Dogs NSW journal) and our 2 labs bitches. With hopefully one in pup. I hope that better explains why I find the Labs better suit my lifestyle.

Edited by Tapua

Hi Sandra

Another brain-fart on my part sorry ;) I should have added I had bone cancer 6 years ago and 1/3 of the anterior tibia was removed, 5 months in hospital, a further 12 months in a wheelchair. Although I have returned to full time work now, even though I am back in my feet I am seriously restricted - I would have trouble running to the bathroom let alone running cross country. :shrug: I have 1 geriatric show titled Kelpie couch potato who's prioity in life is to be on the couch, a borderxkelpiexcoolie who does obedience (there was an brief article about us in the January Dogs NSW journal) and our 2 labs bitches. With hopefully one in pup. I hope that better explains why I find the Labs better suit my lifestyle.

know where your coming from. My eldest boy has spent 4 years having a new femur cultured, as he had none or a patella due to a near fatal accident.45 ops on,It does limit ones movement.

Edited by sandra64

Hi Sandra

Another brain-fart on my part sorry :confused: I should have added I had bone cancer 6 years ago and 1/3 of the anterior tibia was removed, 5 months in hospital, a further 12 months in a wheelchair. Although I have returned to full time work now, even though I am back in my feet I am seriously restricted - I would have trouble running to the bathroom let alone running cross country. :) I have 1 geriatric show titled Kelpie couch potato who's prioity in life is to be on the couch, a borderxkelpiexcoolie who does obedience (there was an brief article about us in the January Dogs NSW journal) and our 2 labs bitches. With hopefully one in pup. I hope that better explains why I find the Labs better suit my lifestyle.

know where your coming from. My eldest boy has spent 4 years having a new femur cultured, as he had none or a patella due to a near fatal accident.45 ops on,It does limit ones movement.

wow ;) Sorry to hear about your boy. I must say though my most stable and reliable support at the time was my old

Kelpie, ( my current girls grandmother) who constantly stayed by my bed and was there whenever I needed her. She made me laugh and she let me cry - Kelpies are fantastic emotional support :)

Hi Sandra

Another brain-fart on my part sorry :confused: I should have added I had bone cancer 6 years ago and 1/3 of the anterior tibia was removed, 5 months in hospital, a further 12 months in a wheelchair. Although I have returned to full time work now, even though I am back in my feet I am seriously restricted - I would have trouble running to the bathroom let alone running cross country. :) I have 1 geriatric show titled Kelpie couch potato who's prioity in life is to be on the couch, a borderxkelpiexcoolie who does obedience (there was an brief article about us in the January Dogs NSW journal) and our 2 labs bitches. With hopefully one in pup. I hope that better explains why I find the Labs better suit my lifestyle.

wow ;) Sorry to hear about your boy. I must say though my most stable and reliable support at the time was my old

Kelpie, ( my current girls grandmother) who constantly stayed by my bed and was there whenever I needed her. She made me laugh and she let me cry - Kelpies are fantastic emotional support :)

Oh no he's fine, like you you become very strong and then hide behind a door to cry. I am just so very grateful he is alive and did not suffer brain damage, as he was very close to that point. He was very good through the whole ordeal, and yes the best thing he had at that point was a dog to come home to every time he returned from hopspital...

• 3 weeks later...

Would somebody mind posting a photo of a Fawn & Smoke Blue for me please? I know someone who has just purchased what they describe as a "Silver Fawn" pup, but I noticed that colour is not on the list. The pup looks blue to me, so I'm wondering if they actually have a Smoke Blue one, and the breeder ("breeder"??) has "made up" a colour.

Smoke blue pups I bred - and a black just to clarify the colour difference. I'll get Kelpiesrule to post the son of one of these boys - he is a fawn -although I have his pics somewhere I dont feel right to post them without her permission. Lee-Annes boy is called Devin and he has a smoke blue brother - very handsome. Look them up on DOL under Kelpie profile prefix Myriahill - one is an adult blue the other an adult fawn.

Edited by Tapua

Smoke blue pups I bred - and a black just to clarify the colour difference. I'll get Kelpiesrule to post the son of one of these boys - he is a fawn -although I have his pics somewhere I dont feel right to post them without her permission. Lee-Annes boy is called Devin and he has a smoke blue brother - very handsome. Look them up on DOL under Kelpie profile prefix Myriahill - one is an adult blue the other an adult fawn.

Hi Tapua, you mabe interested in knowing my lil megs is from Katya...(Im gathering im on the right path when i see Tapua?)

Hi Tapua, you mabe interested in knowing my lil megs is from Katya...(Im gathering im on the right path when i see Tapua?)

Aw Katya's baby - very cool- any pics? - Mandy has done so much with Katya and Harry, I really like your Meg' dad too. I have lots of pics of Katya and Harry on our website. :heart: Every need any info on the dogs behind the bitches lines let me know - I could bore you to tears dribbling tedious pedigree from memory ad-nausium :heart:

Edited by Tapua

Aw Katya's baby - very cool- any pics? - Mandy has done so much with Katya and Harry, I really like your Meg' dad too. I have lots of pics of Katya and Harry on our website. :heart: Every need any info on the dogs behind the bitches lines let me know - I could bore you to tears dribbling tedious pedigree from memory ad-nausium :heart:

Edited by sandra64

Top to bottom -1 Katya's dad Harry, 2 Katya, 3 Katya's grand mum Tilly, 4 Katya's mum Lucy. - Your megs looks like her mum I think. Anything with Mimbil behind it was my prefix.

Edited by Tapua

Top to bottom -1 Katya's dad Harry, 2 Katya, 3 Katya's grand mum Tilly, 4 Katya's mum Lucy. - Your megs looks like her mum I think. Anything with Mimbil behind it was my prefix.

Thanks for those pics. Megs went for her first herding lesson on wednesday, she did so well...She went to see Kate Beck. Kate was very impressed with her. No excitement at the sheep just did what was expected, so in the new year she will be doing a little of that....Yes its official im addicted to my kelpies....Mandy has nice shots of megs and the others from katya's litter on her site under other kelpies...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Heya

Im a poodle owner, but I have convinced a co-worker not to buy from a pet shop a cute puppy but to buy from a breeder :rainbowbridge: Would you be able to PM me any details of Kelpie breeders in WA?? :rainbowbridge: I would really appreciate it :rainbowbridge:

TJ

Heya

Im a poodle owner, but I have convinced a co-worker not to buy from a pet shop a cute puppy but to buy from a breeder :rainbowbridge: Would you be able to PM me any details of Kelpie breeders in WA?? :rainbowbridge: I would really appreciate it :rainbowbridge:

TJ

TJ I have replied on your other thread :cry: There are no show Kelpie breeders in WA. There are only 4 entire showlines dogs that I am aware of and two are males and one of the females is too young yet :rainbowbridge: Trinity is the only other bitch in WA (mother to the young girl). Send Kelpiesrule a PM as she bred Trinity and so will know if Trin is being bred again anytime soon :cry: I do know of a litter in SA though that may have pups still available.

Otherwise there are several working kelpie breeders.