Australian Kelpie

Troy

Hi guys, a couple of questions :laugh:

In the photos I've looked at of showline kelpies the girls appear to be a little lighter in build than the males. Is that generally true or just the photos I've seen :birthday:

Is there a difference between the colours red and chocolate? I thought they were the same but the standard mentions both..

Also I was wondering, I would have expected there to be more Kelpies involved in high level dog sports than I see. Do you think this is just due to Kelpie popularity being less than say Border Collies? Or do you think one breed is more likely to excell at dog sports?

Cheers :dancingelephant:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Kahlua. I think generally females are lighter than males. You will also find their heads are a bit finer as well. They usually look a little more feminine!

I think (and Im no expert :laugh: ) that red is a more rusty red, while the chocolate is alot darker, browner almost.

When it comes to dog sports BCs seem to dominate over Kelpies. Im not 100% sure why this is, perhaps the BCs are less likely to do their own thing! I now that can be true in sheep dog trialling :dancingelephant: . Of course there will be differing opinions between the owners of the two breeds!! A very healthy debate! Have you asked in the BC thread??

Rat

Kahlua, as LR said bitches in most breeds are a bit lighter. They are meant to look feminine :thumbsup: Although you would probably have some dogs that are lighter than some bitches but that would be the exception.

In terms of agility I have no idea why there are so many more Border Collies than Kelpies. However, in my experience BCs cope with repititious training a lot better. Plus it is much easier to find a BC of either show or working lines than it is to find a Kelpie of either, particularly in WA :laugh:

Thanks Lab Rat and Mirawee

I havent asked in the BC thread yet. :laugh: I thought it might be a numbers thing but the repititious training thing make sense too. I guess it might be a little of both.

I like the idea of a little bit of independance.. as long as its not like spitz independance :thumbsup:

Interesting about the colours I thought it might just be a few names for one colour which tends to happen alot. Are they genetically different, or just different shades?

Is there much of a difference in personality for male vs female?

Thanks Lab Rat and Mirawee

I havent asked in the BC thread yet. ;) I thought it might be a numbers thing but the repititious training thing make sense too. I guess it might be a little of both.

I like the idea of a little bit of independance.. as long as its not like spitz independance :thumbsup:

Interesting about the colours I thought it might just be a few names for one colour which tends to happen alot. Are they genetically different, or just different shades?

Is there much of a difference in personality for male vs female?

No Kelpie independence is different to Spitz independence I think! Which is probably similar to ridgeback independence ;) Using the example of sheep herding, Kelpies can be useful in getting sheep that are out of site of the farmer, in bush or on the other side of hills etc.. They can be sent right out to bring back sheep. This is where they run into trouble with trials - they will use their brains rather than doing as theyre told :laugh:

The colour thing I dont have expertise on! However you can check this site out......perhaps red and chocolate are the same!!!

Hmmm, not sure with the personality thing either between boys and girls! We only have girl dogs here. But our female is very very friendly, she loves people. But when it comes to dogs I dont think she'd worry if there were no other dogs in the world but her! She is a control freak with Zola - all games must be played by her rules, and they change quite often :) :)

You will probably get some good answers in the Kelpie thread in the Breed subtopics under General. There are a few People in there with multiple kelpies who would love to talk about them!

Rat

In regards to dog sports - from what I have heard BCs are generally 'softer' than Kelpies and yep deal with repetition better. Also I think many people find the BC fluffy appearance more appealing (I like the Kelpie sleekness :thumbsup: ). I think BCs are probably better for competition obedience, in agility I think people just like BCs, they are also very popular worldwide (Kelpies are not common in other countries).

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum but I recently adopted my gorgeous pup Dexter from a shelter. I have spoken to the Working Kelpie Council about him and they think he is mostly kelpie with some BC dropped in for good measure (I'm sorry, I know this is a purebreed site) - I think its the white around his neck that distinguishes himself from a pure kelpie?

I'm thinking about starting agility with him as soon as his manners have progressed and I know I have (mostly) complete control over him!

Regarding the whole working/show kelpies- having not met his parents- how do I know which he is? :laugh:

I want to make sure I give him the right amount of excersize etc. Currently I'm walking him once a day, spending an hour or so playing games and another half hour training.

Cheers :)

As he is a rescue, you will never really know what his parents were like. In the end, it doesn't really matter - what matters is the dog in front of you :laugh:

He sounds like he has landed on his feet - I am sure he will enjoy the walks, games and training :)

Any pics of the lucky boy?

Hopefully this will work!

This is his RSPCA shot....and the second one is him sleeping when we bought him home. He was pooped from all the excitement!!!

post-35340-1277856424_thumb.jpg

What a little cutie.

Edited by sandra64

Heya

Im a poodle owner, but I have convinced a co-worker not to buy from a pet shop a cute puppy but to buy from a breeder :) Would you be able to PM me any details of Kelpie breeders in WA?? :happydance: I would really appreciate it :cooldance:

TJ

TJ I have replied on your other thread :champagne: There are no show Kelpie breeders in WA. There are only 4 entire showlines dogs that I am aware of and two are males and one of the females is too young yet :) Trinity is the only other bitch in WA (mother to the young girl). Send Kelpiesrule a PM as she bred Trinity and so will know if Trin is being bred again anytime soon :thumbsup: I do know of a litter in SA though that may have pups still available.

Otherwise there are several working kelpie breeders.

I havent popped into hear for so long !

I believe Sandria is hoping to repeat that mating she had with Trinity, but Im not sure as to when.. maybe later this year or early next year there will be pups in WA again...

This is his RSPCA shot....and the second one is him sleeping when we bought him home. He was pooped from all the excitement!!!

Aww he is so cute !!

To be honest... the level of exercise will depend on the dog himself.. and sometimes i think people buy a 'working' dog and think they have to excercise the hell out of it. They can actually make them into high energy, highly strung dogs (ie, the more exercise, the fitter the dog, the more exercise it takes to tire them out!)... just work out what is best for your pup. My kelpies are very laid back and dont require the level of work some people think they would. Kelpies fit very easily into people's lifestyles.

The colour thing I dont have expertise on! However you can check this site out......perhaps red and chocolate are the same!!!

Rat

The two colours are definately different... red is at is states red... the chocolate is much darker, they can be almost black. They have darker pigment and a true chocolate tends not to fade in the sun like a red will (they will go orange to yellow if left out too much) Obviously red can get darker and look almost chocolate, but pigment will normally tell them apart.

Aww he is so cute !!

To be honest... the level of exercise will depend on the dog himself.. and sometimes i think people buy a 'working' dog and think they have to excercise the hell out of it. They can actually make them into high energy, highly strung dogs (ie, the more exercise, the fitter the dog, the more exercise it takes to tire them out!)... just work out what is best for your pup. My kelpies are very laid back and dont require the level of work some people think they would. Kelpies fit very easily into people's lifestyles.

Thanks guys for your advice and kind words. He certainly will be loved to bits, which is great considering his humble beginnings!

:)

post-31407-1278650919_thumb.jpgHey everyone!!!!!!!!!!! Jarrah(middle girl) is my new foster girl. She arrived last night and learnt how tuff it is in the house very quickly. She is in Queensland and up for adoption through the AWDRI if anyone is interested in a very obedient well behaved and very very fast kelpie. thanks

post-31407-1278650909_thumb.jpg

Edited by sandra64

post-31407-1278650919_thumb.jpgHey everyone!!!!!!!!!!! Jarrah(middle girl) is my new foster girl. She arrived last night and learnt how tuff it is in the house very quickly. She is in Queensland and up for adoption through the AWDRI if anyone is interested in a very obedient well behaved and very very fast kelpie. thanks

Awww so happy to see that! She really deserves another go, a really nice girl. So much better than HP, not much fun there. So glad there are people like you around :)

• 2 weeks later...