• 1 month later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

How the hell did I miss this thread for 2 years???? :rofl: Better late than never I suppse.

Here are my 'krazy Kelpies':

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

The airborne Kelpie is Gabe...he's seriously crazy but very lovable

Edited by Kelpie-i

• 1 month later...
I have a Red Kelpie Bitch "Ruby" from show breeding and all she wants to do is work, lucky we are on a farm so she can and she is pretty handy to have around. We also have a working Kelpie, Black an Tan, "Aussie" who would rather lie in his kennel. He was a rescue so we dont know his history but we have had him since he was about 5 Months and he has all the same oportunities as Ruby. I think some dogs have it and some dont. Im sure theres lots of dogs from working breeding that just dont have the desire that good working dogs have.

Im sure thats why so many "working kelpies" end up in rescue. they dont have the desire to work so they are disgarded....My last rescue kelpie that i fostered was quite content to lay on the lounge with my 2.

I was actually hesitant about getting a Kelpie since they have that reputation as working dogs, but my partner was keen for an active dog. Have to say, my Neo has been a bit of each which I'm happy about - active in the mornings, goes through a major afternoon slump and sleeps for hours, then a bit of bounce around before dinner, then gradually slows down into the evening. Definitely suits our lifestyle! :thumbsup:

I have a Red Kelpie Bitch "Ruby" from show breeding and all she wants to do is work, lucky we are on a farm so she can and she is pretty handy to have around. We also have a working Kelpie, Black an Tan, "Aussie" who would rather lie in his kennel. He was a rescue so we dont know his history but we have had him since he was about 5 Months and he has all the same oportunities as Ruby. I think some dogs have it and some dont. Im sure theres lots of dogs from working breeding that just dont have the desire that good working dogs have.

Im sure thats why so many "working kelpies" end up in rescue. they dont have the desire to work so they are disgarded....My last rescue kelpie that i fostered was quite content to lay on the lounge with my 2.

I was actually hesitant about getting a Kelpie since they have that reputation as working dogs, but my partner was keen for an active dog. Have to say, my Neo has been a bit of each which I'm happy about - active in the mornings, goes through a major afternoon slump and sleeps for hours, then a bit of bounce around before dinner, then gradually slows down into the evening. Definitely suits our lifestyle! :thumbsup:

The Kelpie is a great dog to have, it can be active and funny and a great friend. All breeds are different and suit different pupposes. It is one of the best for agility.

I am not a believer that a working breed cannot live in town, it just needs a bit of attention and a daily walk. If only I had discovered the Kelpie years ago

Here was my kelpie "Tess" who passed away in 2005. She was my first dog as a child who would come everywhere with me, many times offlead and always behaved herself. Just a great dog to have around. :) Miss ya Tess :cry:

Picture taken 2004. She looks very regal I think :D

0662004tessinbush.jpg

Edited by kateshep

• 6 months later...

1. What is my relationship with the breed?

I own and compete and have recently added breeding to my interest. I have owned all three since they were pups, so I have had Rusty for nearly nine years, Denny for six, Gypsy for four and Isabel for four days.

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

http://www.wkc.org.au/Jack-Gleeson.php

You may as well follow the link as it is a long explination.

3. How common is it in Australia?

They are every where. Go to Casterton, Vic on the June long weekend and they are as thick as flies at a bbq.

4. What is the average lifespan?

15 years minimum I hope.

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

Mine are pretty laid back but if I go to do anything they want to 'help'. Mine live well with my chickens and kids, they are inside dogs. It takes a bit to make them angry, like an unexpected or unwelcome intruder.

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

Mine have three good runs a week and we don't stop till they are tired.

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

Anyone could own one of these dogs if they can give them a solid foundation in what is acceptable behaviour. They can be a handful if you let them get away with things as pups.

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

My experience is no. When we bought our house and my oldest dog went from having a companion to alone she got depressed so we got her a companion and they are fine for an eight hour work day.

9. How much grooming is required?

I don't groom mine per say. I take for a swim and occasional wash if they are super stinky.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

Well trained would be a must for this sort of interaction but that's a standard answer regardless of breed i feel.

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

http://www.australiankelpie.com/disorder_ca.htm

Once again it is easier to give you a link than rehash it.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder?

I think the questions you should ask are based on the intend purpose you have for the dog. If you want to work it then seeing its parents work is a must. As a person who's primary interest is working them that it all I care about.

I have also put some pictures of my dogs here just because I think they are the best breed ever!!!!!!!!!!!

post-43465-0-37735100-1325755936_thumb.jpg

post-43465-0-44250700-1325755950_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I am in southern Tasmania and we are looking for a Red and Tan Male for our girl Jazz. I'm not having much luck so far and would appreciate if anyone here could point me in the right direction. Cheers

Not many around, you will find plenty of red, but with tan is much more difficult to find. Kelpie breeders in Tasmania very limited. Have you thought about the mainland?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I have a question regarding one of my Kelpies

is it possible to "turn them off"? by that I mean, she is so focused and alert all the time, from the time we let her out of the crate, to the time we put her away at night. she chases birds, shadows and noises or is generally just on the go looking for things to chase or bark at. she gets plenty of attention and exercise daily. we have tried the food toys, but she isnt really food motivated.

on the other side of the fence, my 2nd kelpie is more of a show kelpie, she is happy at the park or just lying on the back deck, she is very food orientated and acts like the dog in the schmackos add when it comes to treats.

any advice??

cheers

Just running will just make her fitter :D Training is great for mental exercise and helps to wear them out - Kelpies are happy with a job to do. There are a lot of small exercises or tricks you can teach in your house/yard or at the park that will help with this.

Just running will just make her fitter :D Training is great for mental exercise and helps to wear them out - Kelpies are happy with a job to do. There are a lot of small exercises or tricks you can teach in your house/yard or at the park that will help with this.

any advice on types of trick or training? she has good focus, just not on me until it suits her. my 2 are 13 months old.

You could do some focus work - to look at you. Then add distractions. Games where they chase you. Proof your basic commands in as many interesting ways as you can.

Heaps of cool tricks in the trick section of the forum

walk backwards

bow

beg

crawl

perchwork

retrieve an object

spin

target training - nose to objects or paw on objects

aidannoris-

she sounds like a dog I have. She only listens when it suits her, bc you are NOT the boss here, she is. So the only trick you need is to become the Boss or Pack Leader. How does she behave otherwise? who else handles her? what is her daily routine? etc.. (sorry if Im asking you to repeat yourself)

ETA; the focus as you say is a trait called 'eye'. This is breed into them, its a great working kelpie trait. You wont ever be able to undo it. But if you gain more respect from her, she will start to trust you command over her instinct. Therefore you will be able to get her to 'turn off', because you will tell her to and she will listen.

good luck ;)

Edited by SLF

aidannoris-

she sounds like a dog I have. She only listens when it suits her, bc you are NOT the boss here, she is. So the only trick you need is to become the Boss or Pack Leader. How does she behave otherwise? who else handles her? what is her daily routine? etc.. (sorry if Im asking you to repeat yourself)

ETA; the focus as you say is a trait called 'eye'. This is breed into them, its a great working kelpie trait. You wont ever be able to undo it. But if you gain more respect from her, she will start to trust you command over her instinct. Therefore you will be able to get her to 'turn off', because you will tell her to and she will listen.

good luck ;)

its strange, maybe 8 out of 10 times she will come when called, if there is no distractions around she is good as gold, she sits, stays, dances (hind leg walking), crawls etc, but as soon as there is something going else going on. bam. different dog, ie selective hearing.

she is very passive towards me, she doesnt seem to be dominating me, but then again this is the first kelpie i have owned. she walks on the lead well and she listens to direction when on the lead and walkking. its like she has OCD towards birs and shaddows.

my wife is the only other person who directs her and we have the same training methods, the same comands etc

thats sounds good, 8/10 times. Just remember that when you call her away from the shadows etc..you are asking her to go against her natural instinct. Its not naughty, its instinct.

Imagine she has instinct (the devil) on one shoulder and you (the angel) on the other shoulder.....

She needs to trust you know better than her, by being the pack leader she will listen to you over instinct. It can be done, but it will take time.

bc you are NOT the boss here, she is. So the only trick you need is to become the Boss or Pack Leader.

Sorry if this isn't what you meant SLF, but being a firm, calm leader to your dogs is absolutely NOT a substitute for training. It is an excellent thing to aspire to, but it will not mean your dog suddenly understands Human Rules like 100% recall etc. I've seen too many people get into trouble following this train of thought.

Aidan You might need to get creative to motivate your girl. Maybe a flirt pole, or a rope on a string that you can get her to chase back to you to keep her focus. Like Kavik said, teach her in the house, then in the backyard, then in the front yard, etc. slowly building up higher distraction situations and setting your dog up for success each time. If you do 10 mins of training before your run, she might even be less inclined to make her own fun :)

Also 'rewarding calm' is good, if she is lying calmly at some point you can just drop a bit of her dinner at her paws or give her some long slow pats so she starts to think calm=good.

Imagine she has instinct (the devil) on one shoulder and you (the angel) on the other shoulder.....

This I love, describes it perfectly :laugh: