Puppy Food

Acacia

My pup (6mths old) gets Supercoat Puppy for lunch each day. I mix it with Pal Puppy Milk and some bread and microwave for 30 secs to get the fridge chill off the milk, he gobbles it down. If I leave a bowl of it out dry he hardly touches it! For training I have had to resort to Hill's Science Diet Puppy as it's much more aromatic than the supercoat. The Hill's is about 5 times the price though! He's been on the Supercoat since he was weaned so I guess he's gotten used to it.

Regards,

Corine

Duncan's mum

Guest cloverfdch

Supercoat was the only food my Clover would eat and stick with for more than a week, i am now feeding Purina Bonnie working dog with a mainly BARF diet. When Elvis was a pup i was feeding him on pedigree active growth but he got sick of it, and the pieces were so tiny i had to switch foods.

Guest Shadowboxer

May I ask whether anyone feeds Nutrience (Adult) and, if so, what is your opinion of it? I feed mostly raw but would like to know of a high quality complete as a standby.

We feed Supercoat Puppy as well. She was initially fed Pal, but boy, did her f*rts smell!!!... :(

Our Bronte does the egg thing as well. She'll carry it around for a while, and then drop it a couple of times on the concrete until it breaks, then spends heaps of time making sure she's got every little bit!

We mix the Supercoat with cheap sardines, vegies, chicken skin or meat if she's been really good, raw meat or mince, a huge variety of things. If it's given to her by itself, she does take a long time to eat it, but wolfs down every little bit if there is something extra with it. Her coat is lovely and soft and always shiny. :(

We also found that there was also a MASSIVE leap in prices (even from pet wholesale shop) from the Supercoat to Eukanuba, etc. Would love to feed her that, but $50 a bag as compared with about $20 for the same size.

Guest LittlePixie
May I ask whether anyone feeds Nutrience (Adult) and, if so, what is your opinion of it?

Yes, I do.

Tilly was on Eukanuba before I switched her onto Nutrience (she had also had Supercoat and Hills Science Diet at various stages of her life). The difference in skin and coat was noticeable (for the better :( )... she just in general looked "brighter".

She also likes the taste of it better than any other dry food so far (not that I pay much attention to how much she likes it really.... if I think it's the best for her, she eats it or eats nothing!! Aren't I horrible? :() But she's always happier to be getting Nutrience than anything else.

She gets Supreme, the green bag, and Derma, the pink bag... I alternate each time just for the heck of it.

I use IAMS, I used to use PAL meaty bites but they just seemed to lack something,

IAMS and Eukanuba when I can get it out here.

Also raw eggs and fresh chicken wings and lamb/beef offcuts,(you get a lot of offcuts when you grow your own)

as well as vegies.

also sunflower seeds, they are accidental as my dogs like to eat them when they fall from the bird feeders :( but their coats are always shiny.! :crazy:

One maybe two eggs a week is usually enough for a puppy under 12 months

of medium build.

I remember feeding PAL puppy tinned food years ago once! it seem to come out the same way it went in yuk!! :(

I generally feed my girl Eukanuba Premiun Performance, but when i ran out she get Supercoat.

She will eat the Eukanuba with problems, but she will take her time eating the Supercoat, somerimes take her 12hours to eat the supercoat.

She is an extreamly active dog and i find unless she is on the Eukanuba she looses weight and condition quickly.

Sometimes for a change she also get a tin of The Naturual Choice mixed in with her dry.

Jack has a cup of Supercoat Light (and Mature?) for breakfast, because he's a porker.

He did have Bonnie Complete and would reluctantly eat that. Despite the reputation of "light" foods tasting worse, even to dogs, he wolfs it down like it's his last meal.

I use it as a treat in obedience class, too. He gets liver treats or dehydrated liver when he's learning something new, and I wean him onto his Supercoat after that, cutting his breakfast or dinner portion accordingly.

Slightly off-topic: a lady from Purina was spruiking in Petbarn this afternoon, offering $12 off a 17kg bag plus a "free" bin. I think the smaller bags were also $12 off without the no storage bin. She said Purina use only good-quality cuts of meat, and they use real, moist meat and then dehydrate the mix to get the kibble ... apparently other companies use dehydrated meat then add binding ingredients. FWIW

I feed my dogs Supercoat. They all prefer it when I add a little warm water to it.

Also there are certain kinds of supercoat I can't buy because none of my dogs will eat it. They will only have the adult chicken and the energy.