Puppy Food

Acacia

Hi,

I used to feed my puppy Pal puppy dry food, but changed over to supercoat puppy food (dry) because his poo was not looking good. I also feed him chicken carcasses, bones etc. His poo is looking a lot better, but, he doesn't seem as interested in supercoat as he was with pal, he lets the cat finish it! BTW He usually loves food.

I remember a while back when my sister was living with me, i changed her dogs food over to supercoat as well, and they wouldn't eat it!! They wouldn't even touch it! (one of the dogs also loved food)

has anyone else has this problem? (It actually isn't much of a problem because he is eating it, but not as fast!! lol..)

Edited by klb_543

We've just changed our dogs to Supercoat (from whatever cheapy they were getting) and they are taking much longer to eat it too. Maybe its like if you had a choice between something more healthy (and not so yummy) and chocolate!

I've decided that Bayley will not starve himself so if it takes him 24 hours to eat his dinner, then that is up to him.

As far as Supercoat is concerned, I'm sure its not as good as BARF in quality but how does it rank?

Guest LittlePixie

Supercoat's middle of the range...

Better than things like Pal... but not as good as, say, Nutrience.

Depends on what aspects of it you're comparing though :mad In terms of "better" - more natural, or "better" - higher quality...

Most of my pooches are on it, even though they are past puppy stage. They are active and need the extra fat n stuff. Have you tried adding some hot water to make it more 'smelly'? Might not be helpful during these hot days but maybe once its cool at night it would be worth a try?

I think supercoat would be the best from say... woolworths, I can't remember seeing many brands. I am considering feeding my dogs BARF when i get all of them :( (when i get my own place, my mum would kill me if i had more than 2 dogs!) But with the pup that i have now i would prefer a mix of dry and raw meat, because i havn't looked into it yet and he is just a pup and growing fast and i don't want to risk it. But when i do i will defiently be getting some advise from here! :o:(:mad

Is BARF cheaper if you have about 3 big dogs?

(A little bit off track here) The dogs that i am thinking of getting in a few years...

Dobermann

Newfoundland

Leonberger (I wish, they are rare here)

I also love the look of the Vizsla or the Ridgback!

Anyone ever seen a pic of a Leonberger?? if you havn't check out this link:

Leonberger

Beautiful dogs!!! What do you think?

Edited by klb_543

My two get fed a combination of raw food and supercoat.... it did take tham a while to eat it intially, but I gave them half an hour to eat it, then took it (the uneaten food) away... and didn't feed them till their next meal time. It took about 2 meals and then they wolfed it down.

Never had a problem feeding it since...

Funny enough, it took the cats a while to get used to Supercoat (for cats!) as well ... they were previously on Whiskas. The shop was out of Supercoat for cats today and had to buy Whiskas again. yikes :mad I had forgotten how brightly coloured that stuff is... and the cats wont touch it.

At least Supercoat is not full of colouring like some of the other supermarket brands.

I've found with my lot that if you add a raw egg or two, and a tin of cheapo sardines from the Supermarket, mash it all up, and then add the Supercoat, and mix all up, and then serve, my dogs will wolf it down if they are in one of "those" moods. It's good for them, so why not give it a shot?

-WithEverythingIAm

I've found with my lot that if you add a raw egg or two, and a tin of cheapo sardines from the Supermarket, mash it all up, and then add the Supercoat, and mix all up, and then serve, my dogs will wolf it down if they are in one of "those" moods. It's good for them, so why not give it a shot?

-WithEverythingIAm

I do exactly the same thing. :mad

I also find that if they are hungry enough they will eat what you give them. :(

I agree, Leonburgers are beautiful!!!

My pup was given supercoat puppy by the breeder so he was straight into it. He gets two raw meals a day, a chicken neck or two and a small bowl of supercoat hanging around during the day to snack on when he's hungry. He likes supercoat enough for me to be able to use it as treats for him (but only if he's hungry). So if you want to use supercoat for your dogs in the future, make sure you start them on it early.

Leonburgers are gorgeous - almost look like a noofie in shepard's clothing ? but sssooo cute :confused:

Are dogs have a mix of raw and supercoat, I do find they take their time but by taking it away or mixing some yummy stuff (meat) they eat it up !

Our dogs are fed Supercoat and plenty of raw chicken frames and beef or lamb bones. They love the occasional egg, including shell. One of the puppies thinks an egg is the best toy, she carries one around for ages, carefully puts it on the ground and rolls it along, then finally it becomes a snack!

Supercoat has no artificial colours or flavours, unless the dogs are raised on it from weaning, it is not as tasty to them.

One of the puppies thinks an egg is the best toy, she carries one around for ages, carefully puts it on the ground and rolls it along, then finally it becomes a snack

Chelsea does this as well... always amazes me how gentle they can be sometimes with something so fragile. Doesn't take her long before she chomps too hard tho!

As long as you give the yolk with the white there's no big deal There is a property in egg white that knocks out one of the nutrients but the yolk counteracts this. The shell is a great source of calcium as well.

Dogs of any age eat raw egg with no worries.

No worries about them choking but sometimes they wont eat the shells so a good way to recycle egg shells is to put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes , put them in a paperbag and run over them with a rolling pin This turns them into tiny peices that you can sprinkle on their food if you like. . This gives you the equivalent to naturally occurring calcium in an easily absorbed form which would cost you a fortune for if you bought it at the pet shop as a suppliment. :confused:

This is how I feed egg shell to my puppies .

I've never had a prob with mine choking on the shells, they break too easily into small bits and mine seem to find it fun to chomp them into tiny bits.

Cougar wont eat the shells... usually Chelsea just scoffs them, but now I know how to 'hide' them so that Cougar can eat his too. Thanks Steve!