Scratching And Crying At The Door At 2am...

craftikylie

Whoa hold up people....

These dogs are spoilt rotten, but I can't have a dog inside that will destroy everything. He is still young and very destructive, and having just bought a house, my partner and I can't afford to replace everything that HE WILL destroy if left inside all night. We have put beds and blankets inside the kennel and they are in pieces all over the backyard in the morning.

These dogs are inside from the time I get home from work until we go to bed and forgive me for making them sleep outside, but I think we all need to remember that they are dogs, not children. And what is the point of having dogs who are also a fantastic form of security as well as companionship, if they aren't outside at night "protecting their territory".

I have my 5 month old Beagle outside at night in her kennel when we go to bed. She sleeps with our big Labradoodle in the same kennel and is perfectly happy. I put one of those jumpers on that go over her head and are pretty hard to get off - perhaps you could try one of those instead of a coat? Snuffy is pretty good at getting coats off but the jumper type seems to stay on A-OK. It is freezing here too but she seems warm enough in her jumper plus Labradoodle jacket!!! Good luck!

Whoa hold up people....

These dogs are spoilt rotten, but I can't have a dog inside that will destroy everything. He is still young and very destructive, and having just bought a house, my partner and I can't afford to replace everything that HE WILL destroy if left inside all night. We have put beds and blankets inside the kennel and they are in pieces all over the backyard in the morning.

These dogs are inside from the time I get home from work until we go to bed and forgive me for making them sleep outside, but I think we all need to remember that they are dogs, not children. And what is the point of having dogs who are also a fantastic form of security as well as companionship, if they aren't outside at night "protecting their territory".

If these dogs are sharing the kennel, get another one. I suspect the Staffy might be booting the Boxer out.

I've never understood how a dog is meant to protect you if they aren't with you. Fat lot of good a dog will be if its in the backyard and the burglars or bad guys use the front door.

Edited by poodlefan

The simple answer is that he's scratching because he wants in. :thumbsup:

At 8 months he is just a bub still. I know the question was asked, but I didn't see the answer - where was he sleeping before you got him? If he is used to sleeping inside then I think he will take some time to accept being outside.

One way of encouraging any dog, in the cold, to want to stay in bed is to heat the bed. There are several types of heating pads that can be purchased to heat a dog bed. Visit your local habadashery(sp?) and buy some faux lambswool or other equally nice, soft and warm material and make his kennel delightfully warm and snuggly with the mat and cuddly material. Chances are he'll not want to venutre out of his warm cosy bed to go to the door. If you buy a fair bit if material, you can make several balnkets or mats and change them often, ensuring they stay fluffy and soft...and clean.

A little money outlaid now could keep him comfy and warm, and allow you a full nights sleep.

Edited by PugRescueSydney

I've never understood how a dog is meant to protect you if they aren't with you. Fat lot of good a dog will be if its in the backyard and the burglars or bad guys use the front door.

Thats why my dogs have access to the front and back yards! I'd like to see a burglar jump the fence and get betwwen them and the front or back door. They bark their heads off and Shadow would eat them alive

Thats why my dogs have access to the front and back yards! I'd like to see a burglar jump the fence and get betwwen them and the front or back door. They bark their heads off and Shadow would eat them alive

You must have an external to the yard electricty and gas meter then?

You must have an external to the yard electricty and gas meter then?

no, we have an intercom at the front gate and I let them in, or they do an estimate if I am not home.

Yes, your dog sounds like he is cold, but you are quite right - you don't want the puppies tearing about loose in the house at night destroying everything within leaping distance.

That is why crates are so wonderful.

Partially covered on the outside with a blanket, they provide a snug environment for the dogs - just like a den - and contain them while you are asleep so that they can't wreak havoc during the night.

You need a couple of these (in sizes appropriate for your dogs) so they don't have to sleep outside BUT can't destroy the house.

If you are dead set on having the dogs outside, please know that they are short coated breeds who DO feel the cold. And they are really still just babies. Perhaps you could try coating them while they are going to be under your supervision for a number of hours, so they get used to the feeling. Yes, they may still tear up their coats. They are puppies, and puppies can be destructive. Although, as the saying goes, 'a tired puppy is a good puppy', so a little exercise and some training time in the evening would tire out their minds and bodies and make them less inclined to cause trouble...

We have our beagle inside at night in a crate and he sleeps happily in there. The crate works well for us and in summer we will have a spot outside where he can go if he chooses to. I am happy to have him inside at night if he uses his manners and is well behaved....a big expectation when they are puppies and this is why the crate works. We know he cannot get into mischief. Eventually we want him to have a bed rather than a crate. This is just what works for us with this pup.

Our last dog was a stafford and he was an outside dog. We always had a coat on him in winter and he was fine. This is what worked for us with that particular dog. He lived till 15.

Having had an outside dog and now an inside/outside do, I do prefer the option of having them inside at night. BUT...

If you don't or cannot have your pup inside for whatever reason, I would just try and keep puppy warm as possible....it does sound like he could be cold?????

I am sure that your dogs are spoilt and well loved.....you wouldn't be concerned and asking advice otherwise. Just do what feels right.

I'd look at crating inside too.

Although I always have a bit of a laugh when I read some posts where people get on their high horse appalled by the sheer cruelty of putting dogs outside to sleep. Some dogs like sleeping outside. One of my dogs prefers it, I bring him inside to sit with us in the afternoon/night time and without fail every night he will go and stand at the door to be put out to bed. He sleeps in a soft crate with tonnes of pillows in it on our back deck (which is under cover and semi enclosed). In fact last night, I bought him in, and he stayed for a good five minutes before taking himself out to bed again... I went out to his crate and tried to get him back inside but he didn't want to budge ;) He has no desire to sleep inside at all. And yet, going by some of the responses here, I'm cruel, certain people would never rehome a dog to me, and my 'poor dog' is desperately unhappy :clap:

I'm not saying all dogs like sleeping outside or that the OP's dog likes it, but the fact is some dogs do!

Huski, I'm sure if a dog is relatively warm and comfortable that they might be happy enough outside but the fact is that many feel the cold, especially short coated dogs and the OP's dog has a problem for sure.

I'm sure some dogs will feel the cold too, but its a bit silly to insinuate that every dog is uncomfortable sleeping outside or that all dogs would prefer to be inside. My dog is more comfortable outside. I've even tried forcing him to sleep inside when we've had a storm (even though on the deck its completely dry) and he doesn't settle, paces and just wants to go back outside to sleep. It might be hard to believe for those posters who think dogs should never be kept outside, but he loves it :clap:

In fact all my dogs spend a lot of time outside (with the back door open - so access to inside whenever they want) although with our weather board house sometimes its warmer sitting in the sun outside than it is inside the house ;)

Edited by huski