Treats For Training

keels

*adds dehydrator to Christmas present list*

I always wondered how the liver got so dry - thought it was the stove. Any idea on price?? then I can sit it on the bench next to the rice cooker, deep fryer, popcorn machine, blender, juicer, fairy floss machine, breadmaker, sandwich maker and pie maker [just joking] ;)

:confused::confused::)

Sounds like our ktichen!

But you forgot crazy martian milkshake maker.

Frankfurters!!!!

Wonderful things they are!!!!

He loves them! I even threw in a quick training session, and he was so keen for a treat he sat and then stayed there when i walked away (he's my shadow at the moment) and just looked at me like, come on mum, where's my treat i'm still sitting!!

Yay! Okay problem solved.

He also was reacting well to tinned salmon this morning for "weewees" but frankfurters are much easier!!

Also, he's finally interested in his puppy kong!! Well he was playing with it before without anything in, but everytime i'd put something in he'd lick it then walk away.

Now it's the most exciting thing in the world!!

Frankfurters are wonderful aren't they!!

ive found that generally u have to change treats pretty regularly try al lsorts of things im currently using pepperoni sausages cut into tiny pieces even the smell gets him going!!! be prepared middie will decide he wants something else in a little while!!!

I'm sure he will, fussy little thing that he is! :confused:

At least it's working for now!

And i've got all the other suggestions parked in my brain to bring out when he gets sick of frankfurters (probably tomorrow! haha!)

We use several different treats but the favourite is cabanossi. They go nuts.

We also use cheese, devon (those rolls), liver, Good-o's, pigs ears and we buy some nice organic loaf from a lady who cooks it especially for dogs. I find BBQ chicken messy but of course, the dogs don't care. :thumbsup:

I've found pork anything works wonders, they love it. I mostly use homemade liver or natures best treats.

I must add a warning though. I know dogs work really well for cheese but I find it too gluggy for puppies. Unfortunately I have heard of many very close calls with dogs choking and sadly one boxer about 9 mths passed away. I think if you have dogs with small muzzles and long throats its best to use something small that remains reasonably together such as tiny raw chicken breast pieces or boneless fish flakes or liver.

I don't want to discourage ppl but I don't want to hear of another good dog choking to death.

Bec

He doesn't sound very hungry, does he?

Some are more food motivated than others - and sometimes it just loses it's effectiveness.

One thing I was reminded about recently took me back to Psych studies years ago - about rewards - doing so all the time reduces the effect - intemittent rewards, not to any pattern, can actaully work better. Worth a try?

cheers