Treats For Training

keels

We're still toilet training our pup, and we've been using Eukanuba puppy biscuits, as treats.

Mainly for toilet training but also for teaching him to sit, and i'm trying to train him to walk on a lead at the moment too.

Anyway, for the last couple of days he's been not taking the treats from us when he try and reward him. Sometimes he'll take them in his mouth then spit them out a couple of steps later, but mainly he'll sniff then walk away.

So we've been just praising him profusely, but he seems to be going backwards with toilet training.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome! we started using anzac cookies but they've got so much sugar in them i don't want to use them too much

Anyway, for the last couple of days he's been not taking the treats from us when he try and reward him. Sometimes he'll take them in his mouth then spit them out a couple of steps later, but mainly he'll sniff then walk away.

:mad What about using his dinner food. That way you are treating the puppy and not overfeeding him.

The tastier the treat, the more the puppy will be willing to work for it :(

Cheers,

Henrynchlo

How about dried liver for a while :( allways seemed to work well for my 3..

We tried liver treats for a day, but then the vet told us they were really full of fat, and he said only use them sparingly, so not really ideal when trying to toilet train!

(Also, it made his poo very black sticky and smelly :mad )

i'm thinking he's become snobby after the yummy liver treats!

Guest LittlePixie

Baahhh. Call puppy biscuits treats?! :o:o:(

You can buy Nature's Gift treats from the supermarket.... I use those to train Tilly. She'd have at least four or five a day for various things...

Depending on what we're training, I've also used very small pieces of cheese, cut up bits of frankfurts, schmackos, and bits of BBQed chicken.

The harder the thing we're training, the tastier the treat!

Lessee... what else have I used.... bits of banana, tiny bits of toast with peanut butter on... an open jar of baby food (this was for working on "come"... as soon as she came, she could have a lick of the baby food from the jar), that shaved chicken stuff, and..... french fries :mad She doesn't get french fries often!!! I swear :(

Edited by LittlePixie

:mad What about using his dinner food. That way you are treating the puppy and not overfeeding him.

The tastier the treat, the more the puppy will be willing to work for it :(

Cheers,

Henrynchlo

We always take his treats out of his food for the day that he's allowed.

But we feed him a variety of raw meaty bones, and a mixture of raw pet mince and mushed up raw veggies, so we can't really give him any of it as treats, it's a bit messy!

Baahhh. Call puppy biscuits treats?! :(:o:(

You can buy Nature's Gift treats from the supermarket.... I use those to train Tilly. She'd have at least four or five a day for various things...

Depending on what we're training, I've also used very small pieces of cheese, cut up bits of frankfurts, schmackos, and bits of BBQed chicken.

The harder the thing we're training, the tastier the treat!

Cut up bits of frankfurters will prob work!!

Is that in the pet food section?? I might have a look!

haha! i think that's his thought exactly!! ....... Call puppy biscuits treats??!! :mad

Guest Shadowboxer

Liver cake ? Sardine/Tuna cake? I am sure that there are receipes for these irresisible treats here if you do a search. A treat really does have to be a TREAT when training. :mad

Guest LittlePixie

You can get them in tins.. in the... er.... tinned food section? Ya know... where they have tinned beans etc...

Another choice is the prepackaged cheapy baloney. Or i have found VIP Chunkers are great...they are preformed small mince balls, they freeze well and my dogs...and those i come across generally love them.

Natures gift kibbles are great as well.

Kit

VIP petfoods makes a product called 'chicken chunkers' (chilled area of supermarket)- my two will just about do backflips to get a 'treat'. I break them up a fair bit as they are just too big for a training aid... but I just divide a whole bag up into little freezer bags and freeze the lot.. makes them quick to defrost too.

Or make teeny mince balls out of chicken pet mince myself and freeze in batches.

All else fails, cat bikkies... the dogs go mental for 'em.

You can get them in tins.. in the... er.... tinned food section? Ya know... where they have tinned beans etc...

haha, no sorry, i meant is Natures Gifts in the food section!!

Silly me!

The paws4fun people introduced me to devon (from the deli section) it's cheap and you only use a little and boy do they love it. It has to be an extra good treat for motivation. Anything smelly works well but in small or very small quantities. Mine go ape over the double smoked ham as well but I wouldn't use that for training or regular feeding...I was told it's just having a taste that matters - not the amount. And that seems true too.

Ummm - - I have something to confess - -

I use Advance Kitten dry food to reward my puppy :confused:

I know that we're not supposed to feed the puppy kitten food - -

but really - - it's really hard to keep my puppy away from my kitten's food bowl - -

When we started using kitten food to help with the training - -

Wilbur was looking forward to the training instead of Charlie's feeding time

:confused:

He seems to be ok - - his poops not smelly - - not runny

Is it ok to keep using kitten food?

He only gets it for the training though (and very small amount - - I swear) :)

Elmo - I use dry cat food fairly often for rewards as well, as long as it isn't in big quanities... I can't see it doing any harm. Cat bikkies are jus tthe right size for training too... tiny morsels that the dogs just vaccuum up.

One of my dogs was a shocking eater when she was little and also not interested in treats, particularly when out of her comfort zone.

After trying everything available the one thing she just couldn't resist was dehydrated liver (homemade). This is not the shop bought dryed liver pieces that you can buy which I found are not nearly as good. A couple of breeders I am friendly with make their own and now give me some to use. My dogs will do anything for it. :confused:

....now you've got to find someone with a dehydrator :confused:

*adds dehydrator to Christmas present list*

I always wondered how the liver got so dry - thought it was the stove. Any idea on price?? then I can sit it on the bench next to the rice cooker, deep fryer, popcorn machine, blender, juicer, fairy floss machine, breadmaker, sandwich maker and pie maker [just joking] :confused: