Its Taking Its Toll On Both Of Us

toofarnorth

Tonight I cant help but feel so sad looking at Gemma. Some of you might know that she was diagnosed with haemangiosarcoma (tumour attached to her heart that was 9cm x 10cm at diagnosis)) and dialeted cardiomyopathy back in April. The prognosis wasnt good, between 2 weeks and 2 months. Her hair is coming out in clumps that are 2 inches square and she has lost so much weight even though I have been feeding her up with all her favourite things. Her breath is just rancid, she still gets chicken wings and necks. I had a look at her teeth yesterday, it appears a couple are rotting. There is no way a dental will do any good at this stage, I think the tooth decay is probably caused by the fact her body is trying so hard to fight off the cancer, and everywhere else is falling down.

I wish I had a clearer idea of when enough is enough..i am grieving so much already that I am hoping it will be almost a relief when its over.

:cry:

I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this :D

always remember quality of life rather than quantity

When my darling Daisy RIP was at the end I decided if she started having more bad days than good days it was time. But in fact she had a good two weeks and then she went so rapidly downhill and the vet said to try stronger and stronger drugs and it wasn't fair to her that I knew it was time.

Hugs to you

Sorry to hear about your girl... :D

It's horrible to watch one so loved go through any illness especially one that wont improve.

I said goodbye to my baby girl (16yr old)a month or so ago :( ... and it was toughest to make the decision to pts. I kept wishing she would have a miraculous recovery (she'd done that twice previously) or would pass in her sleep to save me the decision.

I came on here after a long absence and read other peoples posts of when they thought it was the right time.

From what I gathered it was when the bad days out numbered the good and that's what I did.

Even with that advice it was very tough.... watch your girl closely, hopefully she will let you know when she has had enough and it is time. I think you'll know in your gut when it's time.

(This is just my opinion and what I had to do)

Or ask your vet or someone you trust flat out what they think?

In the mean time give her lots and lots of love and spoil her rotten :D

It is so hard to let go of the ones we love so much and our dogs are so very loyal and loving (right to the very end).

I agree that quality of life is much more important than quantity of life.

Have you talked with your vet about her current condition? My vet promised me he would be the first to tell me it was time and that he was not enjoying being here any longer.

Our terminal angels are so precious but the best gift we can give them is freedom from their pain when the time is right.

All the best in such hard times

Thanks all for the support and words of encouragement....she has been such a beautiful dog to have, never given me any trouble whatsoever. She has never so much as even dug a hole in the backyard!

Staffyluv: The vet came out a couple of weeks ago, and she didnt seem to think its her time. I dont think its her time just yet...but seeing her body changing so much is hard to take. I hope she isnt in too much pain with her teeth, I might have to stop the necks and wings altogether now if I can see signs of pain.

Edbear & flash, i am sorry that you had to make the same decision, its totally heartbreaking. :thumbsup:

I agree with you, just give her whatever she wants at this stage...

I really feel for you, it is so hard to have a terminally ill dog - I think the knowing that the time is coming is horrible and you are right, it does take its toll on you...

Big hugs, I am glad you have a vet you can count on - it makes a world of difference.

I'm so sorry.

I wish I was good with words and could say something to help but there are no words.

It's hearbreaking

Has Gemma seen the vet recently?

Is she still happy?

thinking of you at this sad time and wishing you strength to get through it

:rofl::cry:

rosie..just by posting you are helping to boost my spirits a bit.

She still seems happy most of the time, as long as I stick to her routine. She tried to play with me a bit tonight, lol, that made me laugh. The spirit is still there, its just the body that cant keep up.

It's a very sad situation. There's no easy solution. Only you'll know when the

time has come. Your girl will let you know in her own way.

This is the part of pet ownership that is so hard.

I lost my 11.5 yr old Rotty in 2007. I had to make the decision to let her go.

Worst day of my life to date was leaving her with a friend and driving off.

She still seems happy most of the time, as long as I stick to her routine. She tried to play with me a bit tonight, lol, that made me laugh. The spirit is still there, its just the body that cant keep up.

aaaww, I'm glad you are still having good times with her.

I laughed when I read 'she is ok if I stick to her routine'

I sometimes think Callie has obsessive compulsive disorder, if I dont stick to THE routine I have a little white long-nosed

dog glaring at me!!

The spirit is what Gemma is - and it sounds like hers is special.

Hang in there and hold these precious moments

It's a very sad situation. There's no easy solution. Only you'll know when the

time has come. Your girl will let you know in her own way.

This is the part of pet ownership that is so hard.

I lost my 11.5 yr old Rotty in 2007. I had to make the decision to let her go.

Worst day of my life to date was leaving her with a friend and driving off.

sorry to hear about your Rotty. I'm sure she knew you loved her and in the end - thats what counts

So sorry to hear of what you are going thru .I went thru this only last year even though my darling I had in remisson for nearly 2 years.

Each and every day from the diagnosis was special to both of us....my vet & I knew that when her will to eat was up then decisions had to

be made - she made the decision for me....you both will know what to do when the time comes.

Enjoy each moment , day - and spoil her rotten in the mean time by doing what you are doing & what she wants .....

my thoughts are with you