Bernese Mountain Dog

Troy

Hello there, I was just wondering if I could have some suggestion on when is the best age to desex a Bernese mountain dog bitch as I have read very mixed review and am left feeling very confused to when is the best time for my girl. Also what people think about the operation on bloat, yes or no and why?

Thanks in advance everyone :-)

Hi Bernie22. I can't answer for Bernese Mountain Dog specifically but the research shows that sex hormones promote the closure of growth plates for long bones. That is, if you desex the dog before sexual maturity (which is also before the dog has finished growing) growth plate closure is delayed resulting in a very slightly taller dog - significantly different in statistical terms but only very slightly different in long bone length. Where the problem lies is we don't know how this affects hip joint laxity and hip displaysia. There are no conclusive results either way and the research available (for and against) is flawed. Personally I would not desex a large breed or performance dog before it has finished growing BUT it is always a case of weighing up the costs/benefits. There are risks to leaving animals intact as well. I would also speak with your girl's breeder as some issues will run in lines. Good on you for reading as much as you can.

I can't help you with the bloat aspect.

Hello there, I was just wondering if I could have some suggestion on when is the best age to desex a Bernese mountain dog bitch as I have read very mixed review and am left feeling very confused to when is the best time for my girl. Also what people think about the operation on bloat, yes or no and why?

Thanks in advance everyone :-)

Hi Bernie22, what do you mean with 'operation on bloat'? With bloat you mean the rotation of the stomach. Right? So the operation is an emergency one, whow can you be against or pro?? Or am I missing something?

And I have a Bernese Mountaingirl, 4 y, and was not aware this breed is prone to this problem.

Birgit

Thanks so much for your reply spotted devil:-) it has given me more to think about with my one.

Birkat there is a operation call something along the lines of gastyplexi.

From what I have research an heard the stomach turning is in all deep chested breeds. The surgery is not full proof how ever , there is still a 10% or so change they can get the stomach turning.

Ways to prevent without the surgery from the research iv done is:

Avoid eating 1-2 hours before excerise and 2 hours after excerise .

Instead of 1 meal feed 2 morning and night.

Grain free food is also recommended.

Also they say not to much water after a mean.

It's important to know the warning signs of stomoch turning( bloat) as it can be fatal within 1/2 sometime more sometimes less.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all! I am on the path of getting a Bernese mountain dog to join our family. Still very much in the research phase. Just a few quick questions- what are the best grooming tools you use for your dogs and how often do you brush them?

Are they adaptable/sociable? As in if you do something different everyday, are they happy to trail along as long as their are with their family? Or do they like a routine and their own environment?

That's it for now but I'm sure I will have many more questions!!

Hello all! I am on the path of getting a Bernese mountain dog to join our family. Still very much in the research phase. Just a few quick questions- what are the best grooming tools you use for your dogs and how often do you brush them?

Are they adaptable/sociable? As in if you do something different everyday, are they happy to trail along as long as their are with their family? Or do they like a routine and their own environment?

That's it for now but I'm sure I will have many more questions!!

Hi Nackers,

I have a 3.5 yrs old Bernese girl and here my 3cents.

I’m not too good with grooming :-) and I booked our first session only yesterday (mostly I finally want her feet to be trimmed). Usually I brush her once a week with a normal comb. Sensitive area is her tail, she hates it when I start combing there and usually tries to escape. The rest she enjoys.

I never did any nail clipping, but the nails are perfect, in contrary to her ears which are always dirty. Do not know why. I just clean them with a plain Kleenex.

When she loses hair I comb her each day to have it over as quick as possible (we do have white tiles :D ) Then I also use a undercoat comb. Sorry I'm not sure about the correct wording.

The shedding period is annoying, but we got a robot and he is doing a pretty good job considering the situation (have a second long-hair large dog and both shed at the same time)

She has only been bathed 3 times in her life, but she is not smelly and she likes to roll in grass, so she anyway smells good :laugh: In summer she goes into the pool, but she is not too confident. Maybe it will be better in our 2nd summer.

My girl is happy either with me on the sofa or to lay alone in front of the house door. She is alone during the day with our other dog and they both do fine. They do not need 24/7 attendance, but then they are used to it from the beginning.

Unfortunately she is wary of people she does not know, but I think this is due to the fact that we did not introduce her to many people back in Europe during the socializing period. I really regret that now and know what to improve with any future puppies.

She has a good bark which will hopefully drive potential intruders away, but I have never seen her charging someone.

She recognize family and friends immediately and was very good with the kids of my sister. Though a big dog is a big dog and she is never unattended with kids.

Note that we have brought her over from Europe last year and I was afraid how the heat might affect her, but with walks reduced to early morning she did fine. Though she enjoyed the airco as soon as we switched it on.

I did NOT clip her coat.

I usually do not take them anywhere except to our daily walks and to the beach, but no objections here as long as you get your puppy used to it from early stage. Whatever you do they will be happy to be part of your life.

If you buy one, please please make sure you do not overfeed it!! I have seen so many overweight Berners who barely can properly walk! Back in Switzerland they were a working breed. Since here in WA I started raw feeding. She is doing very good on it, though I need all tricks to make her eat liver and kidney. Though she likes to steal from the kitchen should we leave something reachable over night. Last thing she stole was a pound of butter, and before my delicious beer can chicken.

Sorry, I think I got carried away, but I hope this helps a bit, but of course this is just my very own dog, others might absolutely disagree with my views. Especially on the grooming part.

Cheers

Birgit

Thank you very much Birgit. Your information is very helpful. So you bought your girl over from Europe? Wow that's awesome! How did she cope with the long flight etc? Did it take long for her to adjust? The more I read and talk about Bernese the more excited I get! They sound like beautiful dogs and I think will fit into out family really we'll :) thanks for your help

Thank you very much Birgit. Your information is very helpful. So you bought your girl over from Europe? Wow that's awesome! How did she cope with the long flight etc? Did it take long for her to adjust? The more I read and talk about Bernese the more excited I get! They sound like beautiful dogs and I think will fit into out family really we'll :) thanks for your help

Hi Nackers,

We are here on a 457 visa and bringing the dogs with us was my condition to accept the offer of our company :D .......

I was of course concerned about the long flight and the stay in the quarantine station (45 day), but all went well. They survived the flight and stayed in the Sydney station and when we picked them up to fly them home to Perth I was glad to see 2 apparently happy dogs. It was obvious that the guys in the station took good care of them.

So wish you good luck with your future Bernese….hope to see some pictures…..Not that I posted one since I’m here in the forum…. :o

Cheers

Birgit

Nackers there is a Bernese Mountain Dog show (combined with Pyrenean Mountain Dogs and Newfoundlands on 20th July 2014 at Virgara Winery Lot 11 Heaslip Road, Angle Vale.

The show starts at 9 and the Bernese are on at 11 am if you want to come along. Lindsay- Vevey Bernese