Digging

first timer

You could try providing a sandpit and teach her to dig in there. Put some dried liver treats in there for her seek and search for. Also put her poo in the hole and she will be less likely to dig there again..... works with some dogs, and not with others.

My dog went through a digging phase a few weeks back, I curbed it quickly by disgracing her creative digging hole area with her poos, I picked them all up and threw them all over the holes, that stopped her TOTALLY. Poos in holes works.. just also put the poos around the edges where she might try to KEEP digging.. not just @ the bottom of the hole. They are little smarties, lol :laugh:

I have found a good permanent solution in laying chicken wire, properly pegged under a layer of mulch over the garden beds (with holes cut out for the plants) as well as then proving a sand pit with toys for the dogs in another area in the backyard. You can do this underneath lawn as well but i'd be hesitant to do this with a puppy if you couldn't cover the wire with something so that the puppy couldn't rip it up. Poop in holes din't work for my dogs but has worked for maybe 30% of my clients with simple digging problems.

Lots of interactive toys are a must- treat balls, nylabones etc as well as short bursts of training, games and puppy pre school to keep the pup stimulated mentally.

I found Mistral (and Alchemy, she has a thing for the carpet :p ) was a real digger as a puppy (it is typical in the breed however) and I really didnt want him to be.

We gave him somewhere else to dig (a certain part of the yard) where he didnt get in trouble each time he tried, we would tell him off for digging were he wasnt meant to and then put him were he should, buried treats and such.

Worked well, he now only digs in sand thankfully because a samoyed on a digging mission will cause serious damage :laugh:

My Sammy is a digging machine !!!!

I let her have on digging hole where i throw her toys and treats etc, and any other hole i catch her trying to dig she gets a growl from me and some of her poo in the hole. our garden beds now have a liberal sprinkling of dog poo !!!

Good luck

LOL yeah digging my two have grown out of it now but theyd dig craters when they were younger I think its an instinctive kind of behavior in dogs.Poop in the holes helps but usually they go dig somewhere else

she might just grow out of it, my girl dug about 3 holes, each hole i coverd so she couldent dig them anymore and after she jsut forgot about them and that was it, no more holes.