Weimaraner

Troy

The Weimaraner

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=99 )

Group: Group 3 (Gundogs)

General Appearance: A medium to large size hunting dog. Functional working type, pleasing in shape, sinewy and very muscular. Difference in type between dogs and bitches easily distinguished.

Important proportions:

- Length of body to height at withers approximately 12:11

- Proportions of the head: From tip of nose to stop slightly longer than from stop to occiput.

- Forequarters: Distance from elbow to mid pastern and distance from elbow to point of withers about equal. [Distance from elbow to ground is slightly longer than distance from elbow to withers]

Characteristics: Not Specified.

Head And Skull: Skull: In balance with the size of body and facial region. Broader in dogs than bitches, yet in both, the relationship between width and cranial region to total length of head must be in good proportion. Median groove on forehead. Slightly to moderately protruding occipital bone. Zygomatic arches easily traceable behind the eyes.

Stop: Extremely slight.

Nose: Nose leather large, protruding over the underjaw. Dark flesh colour, merging gradually into gray towards the rear.

Muzzle: Long and, especially in the male, powerful, appearing almost angular. Region of canines and carnassial teeth equally strong. Bridge of the nose straight, often slightly arched, never with a concave curve.

Flews: Moderately deep, flesh coloured, as are the gums. Slight labial corner. Jaws: Powerful.

Cheeks: Muscular, clearly defined. Definitely clean head.

Eyes: Amber colour, dark to pale, with intelligent expression. Sky-blue in puppies. Round, set barely slanting. Lids well fitting.

Ears: Lobular, broad and fairly long, just reaching to corner of mouth. Set on high and narrow, forming a rounded off point at tip. In alertness, turned slightly forward and folded.

Mouth: Bite: Complete, regular and strong dentition. Incisors should touch with a correct scissor bight.

Neck: Noble in appearance and carriage. Upper line arched in profile. Muscular, nearly round, not too short, clean. Becoming stronger towards the shoulders and merging harmoniously into the topline and chest.

Forequarters: Front legs General: High on leg, sinewy, straight and parallel, but not standing wide.

Shoulders: Long and sloping. Well fitting, strongly muscled. Well-angulated shoulder joint.

Upper Arm: Sloping, sufficiently long and strong.

Elbows: Free and lying parallel to median plane of body. Turned neither in nor out.

Forearm: Long, straight and vertical.

Pastern joint: Strong and taut.

Pastern: Sinewy, slightly sloping.

Body: Topline: From the arched neckline, over the well defined withers the topline merges gradually into the relatively long, firm back.

Withers: Well defined.

Back: Firm and muscular, without a dip. Not running up towards the rear. A slightly longer back, a breed characteristic, is not a fault.

Croup: Pelvis long and moderately sloped.

Chest: Strong but not unduly broad, with sufficient depth to reach almost to the elbows and of sufficient length. Well sprung ribs without being barrel-shaped and with long ribs. Forechest well developed.

Underline and Belly: Rising slightly, but belly not tucked up.

Hindquarters: General: High on leg, sinewy and well muscled. Standing parallel, turning neither in nor out.

Upper Thigh: Sufficiently long, strong and well muscled.

Stifle: Strong and taut.

Lower Thigh: Long with clearly visible tendons.

Hock Joint: Strong and taut.

Hock [Rear pastern]: Sinewy, almost vertical in position.

Feet: Front: Firm and strong. Standing straight in relation to median plane of body. Toes arched. Longer middle toes are a breed characteristic and therefore not a fault. Nails light to dark gray. Pads well pigmented and coarse.

Hind: Tight and firm, without dewclaws, otherwise like the front feet

Tail: Set on slightly lower than with other similar breeds. Tail strong and well coated. Carried hanging down in repose When alert or working, carried level or higher.

Gait/Movement: Movement in all gaits is ground covering and smooth. Hind and front legs set parallel to each other. Gallop long and flat. Back remains level when trotting. Pacing is undesirable.

Coat: Skin: Strong. Well fitting but not too tight.

Qualities:

Short-haired: Short (but longer and thicker than with most comparable breeds), strong, very dense, smooth lying topcoat. Without or only with very sparse undercoat.

Long-haired: Soft, long topcoat with or without undercoat. Smooth or slightly wavy. Hair at base of ear long and flowing. Velvety hair is permissible on tips of leathers. Length of coat on flanks 3-5 centimetres. On lower side of neck, forechest and belly, generally somewhat longer. Good feathering and breeching, yet less long towards the ground. Tail with a good flag. Hair between the toes. Hair on head less long. A type of coat similar to a double-coat (Stockhaar) with medium length, dense, close fitting topcoat, thick undercoat and moderately developed feathering and breeching sometimes occurs in dogs of mixed ancestry.

Colour: Silver, roe or mouse grey, as well as shades of these colours. Head and leathers generally slightly paler. Only small white markings on chest or toes permitted. Sometimes a more or less defined trace occurs along the back. Dogs with definite reddish yellow markings may only be given the classification good. Brown marking is a serious fault.

Sizes: Height at withers:

Dogs: 59-70 cms (ideal measurement 62-67 cms)

Bitches: 57-65 cms (ideal measurement 59-63 cms)

Weight:

Dogs: about 30-40kgs

Bitches: about 25-35 kgs

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog, and on the dog�s ability to perform its traditional work.

SERIOUS FAULTS:

Serious deficiencies ie. skin very fine or very coarse.

Mixture of coat varieties defined in the standard.

Clear deviation from type. Untypical sexual characteristics.

Gross deviations of size and proportions

Facial region: gross deviations eg. too strong flews, short or pointed muzzle.

Jaws and teeth: lack of more than two PM1 or M3

Eyes: Slight faults, above all slight and unilateral faults in eyelids. [Any fault with the eyes and/or the eyelids is considered a serious fault.]

Ears: Definitely short or long, not folded.

Throatiness (dewlap), great deviation in neck shape and muscle.

Back: Definite sway or roach back. Rump higher than withers.

Chest, belly: Barrel shaped chest. Insufficient depth or length of chest. Tucked up belly.

Gross anomalies in stance ie. lack of angulation, out at elbows, splay feet.

Pronounced bow legs or cow hocks.

Bad movement in different gaits, also lack of free forward movement or drive, pacing.

Lack of feathering on belly or leathers ( leather ears). Widely spread woolly coat in the shorthaired Weimaraner or curly or sparse feathering in the longhaired variety.

Departure from shades of gray, such as yellow or brownish, Tan markings.

Strong departure from correct height or weight (eg. more than 2 cm from measurements given in the standard).

Slight deficiency in temperament.

Other serious faults.

DISQUALIFYING FAULTS

Completely untypical, above all too heavy or too light in build.

Completely unbalanced.

Absolutely untypical, eg bulldog type head.

Facial region: Absolutely untypical ie distinctly concave nasal bridge.

Jaws and teeth: Overshot, undershot, missing further teeth other than quoted.

Eyes: Entropion, ectropion.

Ears: Absolutely untypical ie standoff.

Particularly pronounced dewlap.

Back: Severe say or roach back. Definitely overbuilt at croup/

Chest and belly: Markedly barrel shaped or malformed chest.

Legs rickety or malformed.

Chronic lameness

Totally restricted movement

Skin defects and malformations.

Partial or total loss of hair.

White markings other than on chest and feet.

Colour other than gray. Widespread brown marking.

Definitely over or under sized.

Other malformation. Illness which must be considered hereditary, ie epilepsy.

Faulty temperament ie shy or nervous.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

QUESTIONS

I am an owner of the weimaraner and breeder in training... I have had the breed since 1991.

bred in Germany, named after the Grand Duke of Weimar. The original Weimar Pointers appeared in the 19th century. They were prized for their versatile hunting skills and remarkable character. In the early part of the century, the Nobles of Weimar were avid sportsmen and hunted a variety of big game. They required of the Weimaraner an exceptional tracking ability, speed, courage and durability. Their breeding programs developed these specific traits and qualities. More likely by accident, they produced the distinctive gray coat color that is the hallmark of the breed.

During the first century, the Nobles rigidly controlled the availability of the dogs. To insure the future of the breed, the German Weimaraner Club was formed. Membership was restricted and members only were permitted to own and breed the dogs. Few outsiders really knew much about the breed. Legends developed about the great gray hunting dog. Type and temperament was refined and eventually, during the latter half of the 19th century, the Weimaraner was converted from a bear and dear hunter to a ‘fur and feathers’ dog.

Sourced from Weimaraner Club of America Website

They are quite common in Australia. they are quite a recognisable breed.

Average 10-12 years

High energy breed, incredibly devoted to their family. They can be known to many as sufferers of separation anxiety, but this can often be mistaken for their intense desire to be with their family. Their personalities vary with strangers. They can be incredibly friendly with people they don't know, but there are many that have quite an aloof personality towards strangers... sometimes even wary. They are a smart breed that thrives on a variety of activities. They are an ultimate versatility breed - they can do field trials, retrieving trials, agility, obedience, tracking (and blood tracking), flyball and no doubt they would try and be successful at other activities such as doggy dancing. They have also been used as assistance dogs and police dogs. They can have a high prey drive.

at LEAST 30 minutes... they would do well on 30 minutes plus some mental stimulation.

Yes and No... So long as the person does their research, is aware of the breeds capabilities and demands, and shows a certain level of dog savvy, I would say yes... for someone who has never had a dog, but hasn't researched the breed or general dog behaviour, i would say no... they require a firm direction especially when young as they can be very strong willed and will run circles around anyone who lets them get away with it.

I would lean more towards no, but it really depends on the personaltiy of the dog. In general I would say no - their intense desire to be with their families indicates that they wouldn't do well on their own for long periods... particularly if you are around and they are not with you.

The shorthair variety does not need a lot of grooming. The longhair requires a little more, but generally their coat and feathering is fairly easy to keep. The shorthair would do well with a good groom with a mitt once every 1-2 weeks. They do lose coat during season changes.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

YES - weimaraners are clumsy and cumbersome... they would not do well unless trained to be under control around small children. They are good with children, but they are clumsy. They are also strong.

They can suffer from immunodeficiency but it is not common...

Hip Dysplasia

HOD

PRA

Bloat

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

Hip/elbow Scoring is probably the only thing that is really checked for in this breed, although the eye test has become available I think. Hopefully a breeder will come along that can give more detail on this. I think (and I could be wrong) that the breed average is 9.

YAY!! Wei's finally made it!!

Firstly, I second everything that ST said, but I will put my answers in anyway..

QUESTIONS

I am first time owner of a female Wei, and have fallen head over heels with the breed. Ruby is now 19 months old.

What ST said.. LOL

Depends on where you live.. I have seen ALOT of Wei's in Perth since moving here.. but back in country NSW they aren't very common at all - not alot of people know the breed, and most don't know how to pronounce 'Weimaraner' hehe.. such as "woomerina".

10-12 yrs

Ruby was exactly what I was expecting when getting a Wei, high energy, fun loving dog. Other words I would use to describe her are - lovable, goofy, devoted, snuggle bug/couch potato when at home with family, can be destructive when left alone, intelligent, sensitive and an absolute ball of fun!

I generally give a good offlead run for about 40 minutes a day. Sometimes more though, maybe an hour other days.

Even though my family have always owned dogs and I would train them, Ruby is my first dog that I solely own. I agree with ST and if they land in the wrong hands they will easily walk all over the owner. They can be very stubborn at times, and I can see someone who isn't dedicated at making sure their Wei is properly trained giving up very quickly.

Ruby is an only child and is only left for 8 hours max a day on her own. She can be destructive at times when she is going through an energy spurt. If the mind is kept active and their destructive behaviour redirected to other things they can happily entertain themselves for some period of time. I have a sandpit, giver her kongs, dried bones, and sprinkle treats around the yard for her to find. She is an indoors dog when we are home. I have occasionally left her inside when I am at work, but prefer to keep her outdoors with a undercover kennel while I am at work.

Nil for Shorthaired, except when blowing coat. I generally run my fingers through her coat, use a coarse brush, rubber mitt and help the dead hair out. Bathing is kept to very minimal in our house except for when she gets very stinky.

definately..

ST's list is good. Ruby suffered from HOD (Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy) when she was a puppy. The condition is extremely painful for them and is very hard watching a young puppy be in so much pain. It can lead to bone deformities in extreme cases and we were lucky enough not to have any deformities. She is now a very healthy and active 18 month old. The important thing with HOD is managing the pain as well as you can. It's a very self-limiting disease, and treatment is generally anti-inflammatories and I have heard of vets giving doses of Prednisilone. We had about 3 or 4 epsiodes of this during her puppyhood.

will let more knowledgeable people answer this!!

Yay, finally the Weis! :thumbsup:

QUESTIONS

I own my first Weimaraner now after researching the breed for around 10 years prior. Quentin is 19 months old.

The Weimaraner breed was developed in Germany in Weimar. Breeding records from 1891 are available. Weimaraners were bred to hunt with humans. Until today the German Weimaraner Club places pups only with hunters - with some rare exceptions.

Fairly common, I'd say.

10-12 years

The Weimaraner is with appropriate training a versatile hunting dog, which can master its requirements posed in the field, water and forest both before and after the shot. A hectic and an over-passionate dog is not the aim of this breed. Weimaraners communly work with a deep nose, this is important for the work after the shot as well as for finding missing items/people/game. Weimaraners have a high prey drive which is the aim of this breed. Weimaraners were bred to go hunting with their person. They are prone to seperation anxiety and want to please their masters. Therefore they can be easy to train but they're also highly protective of their family. Weimaraners are highly intelligent but get bored easily - so the training needs to be adjusted. A Weimaraner wants to be respected and treated consistently but affectionately and not to be degraded to the bare “command receiver”. Weimaraners mature late at the age of around 2-3 years.

I'd say at least an hour plus training plus mental stimulation. Weimaraners are highly energetic but don't just want to run, they also need to think!

I'd say no to that one. They're are stubborn and you really have to show them you're the pack leader BUT you also have to do this in a soft and sensible way. They're large dogs with a high prey drive and can cause a lot of damage if not trained properly.

In my opinion it can be done BUT they would need training to stay by themselves straight from the beginning. Another dog wouold be great if they have to stay alone for long periods constantly. Weimaraners are prone to seperation anxiety and a responsible owner needs to be careful not to nurture this unwanted behaviour.

With the shorthairs hardly any. An occaisional brush and bath is all they need. Weimaraners tend not to have typical 'doggy odour'. Care should be taken with their ears, especially in warm, humid conditions or if they swim a lot. I clean Quen's ears once a week in summer.

Hm, in general I would say yes. But Quen who is really high energy as well as clumbsy and can be extremly boisterous is like a little lamb around small children and carries their toys for them, walks slowly behind them ect. but I wouldn't take my chances.

What the others said...

I think most breeders do HD. Not sure on the average results.

QUESTIONS

We have two Weimaraners - a 2 year old and a 10 week old - both males

As everyone else has said :-)

I find a lot of people don't know what I'm talking about until I show them a picture - or remind them of the counting dogs on Sesame Street!

10-12 years

I find that they have a fairly good temperament - they do have a tendancy to be stubborn though, and I know mine definately have selective hearing! They are very loving dogs too and love to be a part of the family, not just left out by themselves constantly. Our boys are outside during the day and come in when we get home at night until bedtime, then its back out to their beds. They are happy and it works for us, but each dog is different.

They seem to be able to just go and go and go... A the moment we are a little slack with walking but always make sure that we play a lot when we first get home. Once Jaeger is fully immunised the walks will start back up...

I was a first time dog owner, however my partner wasn't. So long as you are prepared to be strong and make sure that they know that you are the boss you should be ok

Our boys are by themselves for usually about 10 hours a day during the week - so far thankfully we have had no problems at all with them apart from a couple of holes in the middle of the yard. We always make sure that they have plenty of toys to keep them occupied though.

Our boys are both shorthair - so its really just a bath when they get a bit stinky. Other than that when they shed you do end up with hair everywhere so a regular brush outside is probably a good idea.

I would say yes to that - only because our older dog has never been around young children, only from about the age of 7. He can be quite full on so may be a bit too much. With adults he is fine.

What the others said...

As above

I have owned my girl rachel for 8 years. Adopted her when she was 6, so shes a grand old lady now. She is papered and was just too much dog for the previous owner, which is why she ended up with me.

Rachel was very active and sometimes noisy when she was younger, and fairly silly but now she mostly likes to lie around on the couch. She is not the brightest dog in the world, nor is she is demonstative with her affection as some other breeds Iv had, but she is very loyal and devoted. Good with my kids too, but not so good with things like chickens and cats.

At least 30 minutes of intense exersise a day for an adult in its prime.

I wouldnt cionsider this a good breed choice for a novice. Active, powerfully built, fairly strong prey drive, can be noisy. Definitely need training and lots of exersise to be good pets.

I wouldnt think this would be an ideal arrangment.

No special coat care for my girl and her coat is always beautiful.

Yes

My old girl is covered in lumps and bumps now, which I understand is common in this breed. Its not pretty.

Edited by KKDD

I am currently owned by a 12yr old SH (short hair) bitch and a 2yr old LH (longhair) dog. I have competed in obedience, agility & tracking with weims for more than 10 years.

Some areas seem to have more of them, others areas seem to have none. SH are more popular. LH are not so, reaching their "peak" with about 40 pups registered in the early noughties.

I know of quite a few Weims over 12yrs!

As per all the books etc. but beware..... Some individuals can be very stubborn and once they decide that they are not going to do something it takes alot of convincing otherwise and still you may not convince them! (I own one of these personalities). You need to stay one step ahead of them in training, they will invent a 'better way' to do things. However, they are a very devoted, loving dog. They are happiest living with their family and will insist on being with you most of the time (usually lying on/at your feet if you are stationary for more than 1 minute). They also love being the centre of attention (good or bad). They can be very wary or ignorant of strangers.

Depends on the dog, but definitely need off lead running. They are a high energy dog and if this need isn't met they will drive you insane!! But they will lie on the bed with you for days when you are sick with flu!

Depends on the person, and the amount of time they are willing to spend with the dog.

Not ideal, it is not in their breed development to be alone.

Minimal, little bit more effort required when dropping coat during a change in the season.

Weis are actually very gentle with small children and can be very devoted to them, especially if they have been raised with them. However, like all dogs, need supervison, especially when they get excited. They are a large dog and can easily knock a child over, but they can make great companions for families with children.

There are a number of possible hereditary problems that do occur (bloat, HD, Auto immune issues etc.), and a buyer should be aware of most of them, as 'common' problems depends on lines and frequency of occurrence.

When buying a puppy a buyer should ask ALL OF THE ABOVE QUESTIONS, after they have researched the breed themselves.

Additionally a buyer should be asking how many of their puppies go to pet, show, trialling homes?

How many puppy buyers are repeat buyers (ie, come back for a second puppy from the same breeder)?

Will the breeder be available for advice for the life of the dog, will the breeder take back a dog for re-homing at any point in the dog's life.

Can the buyer talk/contact other puppy buyers from previous litters?

QUESTIONS:

I've owned Weimaraners for over 21 years now. I have owned shorthairs and currently have 2 Weimaraner Longhair bitches. I'm a sometime showy, but mostly do obedience, tracking, agility and endurance work with my dogs. I'm not a breeder but a dedicated Wei owner.

As ST has stated above. The breed was developed in Germany to find and point game, to track wounded game and to retrieve both feathered and furred game. In Australia they are also known as a "Utility Gundog".

Quite common nowadays and easily recognised by their striking colour.

The Longhair Wei's are less common. A lot of people comment that they have never seen one, but I believe they are becoming more popular in recent times.

Between 10 - 12 years, but I've known of many that have lived up to 14 - 15+ years.

In general, their personality is of a high energy dog that can be a mixture of aloof aristocrat and silly clown.

They are devoted to their owners and have a tendency to follow their humans around the house from room to room.

Wei's are very intelligent, hard-working dogs who learn quickly. Training must be started early and be consistent, firm, but gentle, given in short doses and a life long process. Training can be at times both challenging and frustrating if you compete with your Wei's. Wei's are generally protective of their property and family. They are very skillful in learning how to open doors, gates, latches and scaling fences. Strong, consistent leadership from their human is essential or they will walk all over you in a second. A well-trained, well-socialised Wei is a joy to own and a great family dog.

This is just my personal opinion but I have found the Longhairs to be more laid back in temperament to the shorthairs.

For an adult dog, 30 minutes minimum. I like to throw in some basic obedience training or some games for mental stimulation on our walks. They definitely require off lead exercise as well. They are an active breed, so if you like biking or jogging they are a great jogging buddy. Mine generally get 40 minutes to 1 hour a day. Most Wei's love swimming and I find that's also a great way to exercise them as well.

Yes, with a big BUT..... Let's face it, I was a first time Wei owner many years ago and coped and learnt alot. I think as long as first time owners have done thorough research on the breed, talked to owners, breeders etc. and feel their lifestyle and property is suited to owning a Wei and they have the time to do basic obedience training and willing to accept the needs/requirements of this breed then Yes. I wouldn't describe Wei's as 'easily coped with', they could be hard work for some people.

From my personal experience, Yes. In the past I've had Wei's that were solo and left for up to 8-9 hours a day per working week. My dogs were exercised daily and had stimulating toys in their yard and were then inside with us when we were home. So it is possible if they are trained from a young puppy to acclimatise to being a solo dog.

But on the whole I would say most Wei's would enjoy the companionship of another Wei or dog.

Wei's really are a low maintenance breed when it comes to grooming. A regular/weekly brush with a rubber mitt or brush to remove dead hair should be suffice. Regular cleaning of the ears, trimming of the nails and check their teeth and the occasional bath.

For the Longhairs, the same except, keep fur trimmed that is under and in between toe nails. I use a slicker brush to pull out any grass seeds/burrs that may get caught up in their ear or tail hair. When Longhairs drop coat it is like soft grey bum fluff unlike the bristle hair of the shorthair, which I find sticks into clothes and furniture. Generally though there is not much more work maintaining the Longhair, they are an easy to groom breed.

Agree with all the previous posts. In their exuberance they could knock over very small children and as young dogs are likely to do that. As adult dogs mine are very gentle around small children. As with any dog, children and dogs will need constant supervision.

Bloat

Immune deficiency

Hip Displaysia

Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy

Tumours

PRA

I would ask the breeder how long they have been involved in the breed and ask about the ancestry of their dogs/bloodlines. Ask if they hip/elbow score their dogs. Also ask about the above (No.11 question) diseases and if any have occured in their lines. Ask what they do with their dogs, eg. show or work or do dog sports with their own dogs.

Make sure the breeder will give you or offer you on-going support to you and your new pup.

There are so many more questions to ask, and hopefully a Wei breeder will come along and give some more advice.