Shar Pei

Troy

The Shar Pei

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=199 )

Group: Group 7 (Non Sporting)

General Appearance: Alert, active, compact, short coupled, squarely built. Dogs larger and more powerful than bitches.

Characteristics: Relatively loose skin, frowning expression, harsh bristly.

Temperament: Calm, independent, very affectionate, and devoted to people.

Head And Skull: Relatively large but not disproportionate to the body, skull flat, broad, moderate stop. Length from nose to stop approximately equal to length from stop to occiput. Moderate wrinkle on forehead and cheeks. Muzzle moderately broad and full with no suggestion of tapering. The lips and top of muzzle may be slightly padded. When viewed from front, bottom jaw appears wider than top. Nose large, wide, preferably black but any colour conforming to general coat colour permissible.

Eyes: Dark, medium size, almond shaped with frowning expression. Amber and lighter colour permissible in paler shades. Function of eyeball or lid in no way disturbed by surrounding skin, folds or hair. Any sign of irritation of eyeball, conjunctiva or eyelids highly undesirable. Free from entropion.

Ears: Very small, rather thick, equilaterally triangular in shape, slightly rounded at tip and set high on the skull, with tips pointing towards eyes, set well forward over eyes, wide apart and close to skull. Pricked ears highly undesirable.

Mouth: Tongue, roof of mouth, gums and flews: solid bluish-black is preferred. Solid pink tongue undesirable. Dogs with self-coloured pigment and amber to light brown eyes would be expected to have a lavender tongue. Teeth strong, with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. the upper teeth closely overlapping the lower teeth and set square to the jaws. Padding of lower lip should not be so excessive so as to interfere with the bite.

Neck: Medium length, strong, full, set well on shoulders, with some loose skin under neck permitted, but this should not be excessive.

Forequarters: Shoulders muscular, well laid and sloping. Elbows close to body. Forelegs straight, moderate length, good bone; pasterns slightly sloping, strong and flexible. Forelegs completely free from wrinkle when mature.

Body: Height at withers approximately equal to the length from point of shoulders to point of buttock. Depth of brisket approximately half of height at withers. Chest broad and deep, underline rising slightly under loin. Back short, strong. Topline dips slightly behind withers then rises over short, broad loin. Adult dogs should display moderate wrinkling over shoulders and base of tail. Excessive skin on body when mature highly undesirable.

Hindquarters: Muscular, strong; moderately angulated; hocks well let down without excessive wrinkling or thickening.

Feet: Moderate size, compact, toes well knuckled.

Tail: Rounded, narrowing to fine point, base set very high. May be carried high and curved; carried in tight curl; or curved over. Lack of, or incomplete, tail highly undesirable.

Gait/Movement: Free, vigorous and balanced, rear single tracking is normal at a fast trot. Stilted gait undesirable.

Coat: Extremely harsh coat, straight and off-standing on the body but flatter on the limbs. No undercoat. Length varies from short and bristly, under 1.25 cm ( half an inch) or longer and thicker, between 1.25 cm ( half an inch) and 2.5 cm (one inch), but still off-standing and harsh to the touch.

N.B. No particular coat length within the accepted length should be preferred above the other. Never trimmed.

Colour: All solid colours except white are acceptable. Frequently shaded on tail and back of thighs with lighter colour.

Sizes: Height: 46-51 cms (18-20 ins) at withers.

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

Involved in showing/breeding dogs for 14 years, Shar Pei for 6 years.

HISTORY: Originating in southern China around the time of the Han Dynasty (206BC – AD220). Shar Pei where hunting and guarding dogs used by farmers. They had to be intelligent, hardy, multi purpose dogs as peasant farmers could not afford many single purpose dogs. The Shar Pei where also used as fighting dogs to generate extra income, but the Shar Pei temperament was not suited to this role and artificial stimulants where given to make them more aggressive. Their failure as a fighting dog is proven by the fact that they were never introduced to Europe. During Communist reign in the 1950’s, dog ownership was heavily taxed and farmers could no longer afford to keep their dogs. Many ended up in the cooking pot. By 1970's Shar Pei were destined for extinction. Hong Kong breeders Matgo Law and Chung Ching Ming sought to safeguard the breed by publishing a letter to the American Dogs magazine requesting help from American dog breeders. They received over 200 replies and from there the breed was saved. The breed was recognized by the American Kennel Club in 1992. There must be something truly special about a breed that can come from near extinction to kennel club recognition in such a very short time span.

While they were listed in the 1970's in the Guiness Book of World records as the rarest dog in the world, they are now reasonably common.

8-12 years

Calm, independent, very loyal to and protective of their family, cautious of strangers until introduced, making them excellent guard dogs. They can be very smart and quick to learn. A naturally clean dog, toilet training is a breeze with this breed. They are generally quiet but will certainly alert you if strangers are about. Some may be aggressive towards strange dogs. For this reason all should be well socialized as pups, and throughout their lives. Puppy preschool and training classes are great for this. Mine live happily with Chihuahuas and my cat. They do not bother to chase the local birdlife.

Shar Pei are not overly active dogs and will do well with a good daily walk. Not generally a breed for joggers and fitness fanatics due to their heavy heads.

Provided the owner is of a stonger personality type. These dogs can be dominant and independent, so an owner needs to be able to take on the leadership role and gain the dogs respect. They can be a wonderful, easy breed to live with.

Yes. A Shar Pei will be your constant companion yet not usually fret or destroy things when left alone. They will share your life yet maintain their own personality. They do well as an only dog or as part of a multi pet household.

Normal bathing and grooming required to that of any short haired breed. Weekly brush and monthly bath is more than sufficient for most healthy dogs.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

They are generally calm with children and do not tend over-react. Pups can be very mouthy and like to chew hands, but this is usually gentle and does not hurt, and easily fixed with training. They tend to prefer people company over dog company. I have regularly taken pups to puppy classes for socialization and am always amazed at their calm and good behaviour. Compared to most other pups, who tend to jump and bounce around, pei pups generally sit quietly and watch what is going on, focusing more on the people around them than the other pups.

Yes. It is very important that a new potential owner research this breed thoroughly as there are many potential health issues. A top quality, preferably natural diet is essential to bring out the best in the breed. Bearing in mind that the breed has come from a very small original gene pool, no lines can be considered totally free of problems. For the best chance of obtaining a healthy pei, it is vitally important that owners find a breeder with a reasonable amount of experience and knowledge of the pups ancestry. Having a good relationship with your dog’s breeder can help enormously with the management of minor health issues and save you a small fortune in vet fees. Often vets can over-diagnose issues with this breed, especially in the first 18mths while the dog is still growing, and have been known to recommend unnecessary and costly procedures.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

Very few breeders in Australia health test at this time. Hips are not a huge problem for the breed, and eye issues are not ones which are tested for. Amyloidosis is a problem in the breed, but as yet no health testing is available. For the best chance of obtaining a healthy pei, it is vitally important that owners find a breeder with a reasonable amount of experience and reasonable knowledge of the pups ancestry.

Edited by badboyz

Guest Pandii

In question 11 you mentioned Vets often over diagnising problems, how is the best way to handle this when chatting to the vet.

Are pups with clean open eyes likely to still have good eyes as an adult?

:thumbsup:

Guest Pandii

How do they cope in hot/cold weather

Should they have wet noses

How are they with Special needs Children/Adults

In question 11 you mentioned Vets often over diagnising problems, how is the best way to handle this when chatting to the vet.

I think the best way to handle this issue is to firstly to not panic. Research before making any decisions cannot be stressed enough. Asking your dog's breeder for advice and other knowledgable pei owners, who can be found on this and other forums. Finding a vet recommended by other pei owners is great idea.

Maybe yes and maybe no. Some Shar Pei can suffer from entropian (in-rolling eyelashes) due to the heavily wrinkled heads. Eye tacking (temporarily stitching back of the eye lid) can be done anytime from 3wks to 12mths, while the pups head is still growing. A puppy who has eye tacking done may or may not have future issues, while a pup with clear open eyes, may need tacking at a later stage, generally due to growth or irritation. Full, permanent entropian surgery should never be done until a dog is full grown.

How do they cope in hot/cold weather

Being considered a brachycephalic breed (broad head, flatter faced), care would need to be taken in extreme heat to not overexercise, and to keep them cooler. In winter, a rug/coat is a good idea, especially for the shorter horse coat shar pei.

Should they have wet noses

Shar Pei generally have a fairly dry nose, compared to many other breeds.

How are they with Special needs Children/Adults

Since shar pei are very people focused and usually gentle and tolerant, I believe they would make suitable companions for special needs children or adults.

Obviously all children should be supervised around any dogs, and taught to interact gently and respectfully with them.

Coat Types

Shar Pei can come in 3 coat types. The name Shar Pei literally translates to Shark Skin or Sand Skin. This coat is reflected in the Horsecoat shar pei. It is very short and when rubbed against the coat can feel like sand paper. It is not uncommon for people to get a slight rash from the horsecoat shar pei. Only Horsecoats are allowed to be shown and bred in China.

The Brushcoat shar pei has slightly longer softer coat, which should still be offstanding from the coat and is acceptable for breeding and showing in most Western Countries.

The Bearcoat has quite a long and soft coat (similar to a Chow Chow) and is considered a breed fault, not to be used for breeding or showing.

Edited by badboyz

Yes they do have mixed coat litters. Horsecoat being dominant and brushcoat/bear recessive. This means that brush to brush mating can only produce brushcoats, while horsecoats can produce either. Horsecoat and brushcoat are both acceptable.

They can get along very well with other animals. Mine have lived happily with beagles, chihuahuas and cats. Other owners on this forum have pei living happily with rhodesians, rotties, newfoundlands, and small fluffies. The one that tend to be dog aggressive are usually those that are kept in more isolated surrounds and are not well socialized or trained.

Colours can include any solid colour, except white:

basic colours: red, fawn, cream, black, brown,

and dilutes: 5point red, apricot, chocolate, cream, blue, isabella, lilac.

Occasionally their are bi colour dogs, called flowered shar pei. This is again considered a breed fault. They have similar markings to a fox terrier, with a coloured head and mostly white body, with patches of colour.

Edited by badboyz

A freind of mine has just gotten a Shar Pei puppy (I suspect NOT from a proper breeder despite my ranting and raving about going to a good breeder) What can you tell me about what they should and shouldn't be feeding her? I've heard they shouldn't have beef or something like that is that true?

Guest Pandii

BB, sorry you missed my ear cleaning question.

Poor BB I feel a bit sorry for you, apart from BlueGenes are you our only registered breeder on DOL

BB, sorry you missed my ear cleaning question.

Poor BB I feel a bit sorry for you, apart from BlueGenes are you our only registered breeder on DOL

:) Only one that posts anyway!!! I have asked SPR to join in - get in here girl! :)

Ears: A good diet can go a very long way in maintaining healthy trouble free ears. I encourage owners to leave the ears mostly alone unless there is a problem. Dark waxy substance in ear is normal. Avoid getting water in ears – bathe only from the neck down. Wipe face and ears with a damp washer only. Unfortunately some some pei do have particularly small and wrinkled ear canals which may be prone to problems and need regular maintenance. Treatment would depend on whether it was a yeast or bacterial issue. After diagnosis and treatment by a vet, maintenance may then include regular cleaning with something like diluted malaseb (bacterial) or Canestan cream (yeast).

Diet: My dogs are fed a mostly grain free diet. They get a soft bone for breakfast (chicken wing/frame/necks, turkey neck, Roo tail) and for dinner they get raw pet mince (mostly made up of chicken frames, offal and fruit/vegies) with a little boiled rice. Sometimes they will also get tinned fish (tuna/salmon/mackeral). I tend to avoid beef. I have fed top quality dry foods, which some dogs do absolutely fine on, but I find they all do much better without it,. I am very fortunate to have a fantastic pet food manufacturer nearby.

Trainability: I have found the shar pei to be a very intelligent and easily trained breed. I have owned a few different breeds over my life so far, but find pei have been the easiest for me to train. They seem to pick up something new after only one or two lessons, and they never forget it. I have recently started agility training with my 4yr old male, and even though we never do regular practice at home, and only go once a week, sometimes once a fortnight, he is right on the ball as soon as we start work. I have found this true even with baby puppies. I have also noticed they will learn quickly from each other. I started teaching my male to sit before being fed. Pretty soon they all started to copy him without actually being formally taught by me. Shar Pei are also well known for being one of the easiest breeds to house train.

Edited by badboyz

No Cat, not any more. The baby pup, Jazz, still gets a little Artemis Puppy food, which I bought to try out. But once that is gone, I doubt I will buy any more dry at all. During the past year I fed Pro Plan regularly, and was quite happy with that. Nutrience Derma is another dry I have tried and thought quite good. I do feel they are healthier overall without any dry food though, and am much happier that the only grains they are getting is the rice that I cook myself - no wheat, beet pulp, corn, etc, which is found in most dry foods.

I have been asked about what collars are best for shar pei, because with the excess skin on their necks they can easily pull out of a normal flat collar. I prefer to use Limited-Slip Collars as they are worn as a flat collar, but will tighten slightly if the dog pulls on the lead, making it difficult for the dog to slip out of the lead, without choking the dog at all. I have been able to use these in training classes, where instructors usually request a flat collar. Martingale collars also work in a similar fashion.

QUESTIONS

I have owned the breed for almost 8 years

Was involved in showing for 3 years

I have operated Shar Pei Rescue Australia for 7 years rescueing and rehoming unwanted and dumped Shar Pei Australia Wide

I have seen and treated all of the Shar Pei hereditary disease that is around

Most skin and ear problems are easy treated with change of diet and better husbandry

Ancient Chinese farm breed bred to hunt, guard and later used to fight. Became heavily taxed and outlawed at one time in China and almost became extinct (the world’s rarest breed in the 1970s) Brought into Australia in the early 1980s as an exotic breed which it still is relatively.

Fairly common, but still unique

Shortish about 8-12 years

If you have never had the pleasure of meeting a Shar Pei before, the first impression might just as well be that of a kind, though independent, even arrogant dog with a mind of their own.

Indeed, these dogs are often arrogant and standoffish with strangers. Of course, this makes people think that a Shar Pei is smarter than it looks, but under the mask of arrogance and indifference hides the mischievous soul of a natural-born clown.

It is in their home surroundings that these dogs reveal their true character, their numerous faces and aspects of mood. Each of them is truly individual and a great wonder to discover. This is what makes Shar Pei so capable of true and loyal friendship unlike many other pets. Talking about the character of these teddy bears, first and foremost they are calm, independent and devoted to their family. Moreover, these dogs are very enduring, noble and wise, seeming to be able to read your mood and know when you need that little bit extra love or laugh.

A Shar Pei truly enjoys human company, especially that of children - they can play with them for hours and stand any liberties the children might take. A Shar Pei can and is extremely patient and discreet. They are never aggressive without an obvious cause., a will give a warning growl if a situation that are in gets out of their control. These reflexive animals should be given an opportunity to assess the situation and use their own discretion when it comes to action. Amazingly sharp sight allows keeping everything under control - at all times. Although historically these dogs were meant for protecting property, the Shar Pei is no worse a bodyguard than a Mastiff. These energetic and fast-running dogs have more than a fair chance of protecting human life against any potential threat and will do so if they feel their family needs them.

A Shar Pei needs a firm owner, someone who will put them in their place.

While the Shar Pei is one of the most unusual and distinctive breeds, it should not be purchased simply “because we wanted something different”. It can be an excellent, appealing family dog and a worthy watchdog and will accommodate itself to most living situations. It can also be stubborn, self-willed and try to dominate its owner. The heavily wrinkled skin which gives this breed its unique appearance brings with it a heavy responsibility to take care of it. The Shar Pei’s propensity for arguing with other dogs also must be taken into account. This is definitely not a breed for novice dog-owners.

Regular exercise in reasonable amounts is the order of the day with the Shar Pei. They are an intelligent breed who enjoys a daily walk or training session, a run in the park or a stroll along the water. When exercising in public, the Shar Pei should be kept on a lead unless they are 100% reliable with recall. Regular brushing and the occasional bath with a soap free shampoo should keep the Shar Pei’s unique coat in good condition. Shar Pei are unique in that their inner health shines in their coat, if you feed a Shar Pei too much protein it will reflect in their coat, ears and general health.

Not at all and they are not a breed I recommend to a first time dog owner

Shar Pei are fantastic as only dogs as long as they are members of your family and allowed inside time to be part of their pack

Minimal, I call them wash and wear

Ear cleaning is important and should be done weekly, but if the dog does not have a problem, leave the ears alone

Monthly baths in a soap free shampoo and a brisk towel dry

They will blow coat 1-2 a year and require vigourous daily brushing to remove the dead fur

No, Shar Pei are a lovely dog and smart enough to recognise small children and the infirm, but only in a knowledgeable home with the correct training

There are many

Some of the problems Shar-Pei can suffer from are Hip Dysplasia, Luxating Patellas, Entropion, Skin problems and Allergies. Shar Pei bitches can drop their coat after whelping, also both sexes can look a little moth eaten when moulting. Do not mistake these as skin problems as this is quite normal for this breed. Although they are also prone to Demodex Mange.Link for Swollen Hock and Shar Pei Fever, entropion:

http://www.sharpei.com.au/info/health001.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shar_Pei_fever

http://www.drjwv.com/article.php?view=0004.php

http://www.animaleye.com.au/entropion.htm

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have

Make sure you meet both parents and they are friendly nice dogs

Temperament is hereditary and you run a higher risk of DA, HA and problem if a parent does not have a good stable temperament

Ask if there is any entropian in their lines

If they breed or have breed a dog with entropian

If any of their dogs has Shar Pei Fever or Swollen Hock Syndrome

Luxating Patella or hip problem

Demodex mange or allergies and skin issues

I know there is more but my brain is not with it

There are no quarantees

A pup with clear untouched eyes can develop entropian as an adult

A pup that is tacked, (different from entropian surgery) can have nice eyes as an adult

Entropian should never be performed on a dog under 12 months unless is severe cases and should only be done by a vet with breed knowledge

How do they cope in hot/cold weather?

Shar Pei are prone to feeling the heat and cold, they will need airconditioning in the summer and a warm coat in the winter

Should they have wet noses?

Yes

How are they with Special needs Children/Adults?

I have found they are extremely tolerant of children and adults with special needs

But they need to be raised with them

What colours do they come in and how common are they?

Only solid colors and sable are acceptable and are to be judged on an equal basis. A solid color dog may have shading, primarily darker, down the back and on the ears. The shading must be variations of the same body color and may include darker hairs throughout the coat. The following colors are disqualifications: Albino; Not a solid color, i.e.: Brindle; Parti-colored; Spotted; Patterned in any combination of colors.

What about ear care?

I clean ears weekly with a 1/4 Malaseeb and 3/4 saline solution flushing 5 times

Not all dogs require this care

I have 3

1 requires weekly cleans

1 fortnightly

1 monthly

Do litters have a mixture of the coats or do you breed not to have the horse or bear coat?

Are they good with other dogs, eg Pugs? Thanks :laugh:

All breeders should breed to not have bear coat

Although the dogs themselves are stuning in both looks and personality they are not a showable type

Horse is not as common as humans are more likely to be allergic

Most breed brushcoat

I have had my dogs with Pugs and they get along famously

Pugs are not aggressive and fun loving, a Shar Pei loves that

They are good with other dogs they know, they need extensive socialisation throughout their whole life not just in their puppy time

Most will ignore smaller dogs as they see them as no threat

A freind of mine has just gotten a Shar Pei puppy (I suspect NOT from a proper breeder despite my ranting and raving about going to a good breeder) What can you tell me about what they should and shouldn't be feeding her? I've heard they shouldn't have beef or something like that is that true?

Shar Pei do not do well on beef and have a tendancy to have more skin and ear issues if feed a poor quality diet

She will need to be feed more like a cat, chicken, pork, lamb, kangaroo, extra Omega 3 and 6

So do you still feed some dry food? If so, what kind?

I do not often feed dry

My dogs get a BARF diet

If I do give dry food I have Eagle Pack Holistic Anchovy

Any dry food that does not have corn as is main ingrediant and is not beef based is OK

Guest Pandii

Can adult Shar Pei jump, should pups be encouraged not to jump up onto things ( couch car beds) because of growing limbs

Are they are breed that doesnt jump.

I am still lifting Seb who is 14 months ( I think spr??) in to my commodore wagon, is this normal?

Shar pei should not be jumping when young just like any breed but they sure can jump!

Asia jumps from a stand, up into my 4wd & often jumps up on top of her crate so she look out the windows, she does get called a little mountain goat as she will jump up on anything ;) Also when at agility she jumps a lot higher than the jumps clearing them easily.

Alot of pei dont do well on beef but mine have always eaten it with no problems.

Shar pei are very intelligent & are easy to train but can be extremely stubborn. So frustrating at times :)