What Breed Does This Sound Like?

luvsdogs

Someone came to my obedience club on Sat with a young puppy. At 1st I thought it was a boxer cross but the owner said it was a pit bull X ? I can't remember what he said. I thought it sounded like one of the restricted breeds not allowed into the country.

The puppy had a slight brindle pattern. It looked a bit like a mastif. It was 9.5 w/o & had long legs. He said the X was an Aussie breed, bred to hunt pigs & there were 2 words in the name. What breed do you think it could be?

Guest rhapsodical78

Sounds like a Bull Arab to me as well.

Basically, while the Bull Arab breed struggles to gain uniformity and recognition under its own register, pig hunters continue to put together purpose bred dogs using a number of different breeds, one of which is often the Pitbull terrier. They will often refer to these dogs as 'Bull Arabs'.

Edited by rhapsodical78

He said the X was an Aussie breed, bred to hunt pigs & there were 2 words in the name. What breed do you think it could be?

It reads to me like the bull arab as well, we have stacks of them up here, if its an arab x most up here call them arab x's, not a bull arab because the true bull arab is quite distinctive and most who know them would know they are full of sugar honey ice and tea if they call there x an arab.

Not a restricted breed.

If you want to see heaps of arab x pups to see what arab mix it might be, just look at boardogs.com classifides section.

they list them like arab x <other breed> not as full arab because people dont take kindly to misrepresentation.

Basically, while the Bull Arab breed struggles to gain uniformity and recognition under its own register, pig hunters continue to put together purpose bred dogs using a number of different breeds, one of which is often the Pitbull terrier. They will often refer to these dogs as 'Bull Arabs'.

there is NO pitt bull in bullarabs, the make up of the arabs is BULL TERRIER, SHORT HAIR POINTER & GREYHOUND, yes they are used for pig hunting but are also great family dogs as well & great with kids, i had a bull arab but lost him & now i have his son who is a cross. bull arabs have been around since the 1970`s , & if you want to see any bull arabs go to http://www.boardogs.com/Bull_Arabs.htm Gina

Guest rhapsodical78

there is NO pitt bull in bullarabs, the make up of the arabs is BULL TERRIER, SHORT HAIR POINTER & GREYHOUND, yes they are used for pig hunting but are also great family dogs as well & great with kids, i had a bull arab but lost him & now i have his son who is a cross. bull arabs have been around since the 1970`s , & if you want to see any bull arabs go to http://www.boardogs.com/Bull_Arabs.htm Gina

Read my post again and read it carefully. I'll put it another way. I said that the Bull Arab is a breed that is struggling for recognition at the moment. Thus, often pig hunters will put together various breeds of dogs which may include the APBT and still call them 'Bull Arabs'. Does that mean they're Bull Arabs? No.

All good except it is not an American Breed the Bull Arab is as far as I know (and I have a few of them) Australian in history!! Either way they are fantastic lounge lizards!! Good with kids!! Great in the ute and definately not Dangerous unless mishandled as puppies!!

Guest rhapsodical78
All good except it is not an American Breed the Bull Arab is as far as I know (and I have a few of them) Australian in history!! Either way they are fantastic lounge lizards!! Good with kids!! Great in the ute and definately not Dangerous unless mishandled as puppies!!

Who said it was an American breed?

Perhaps it was 'pig dog'? Not Bull Arab.

bull arabs are pig dogs & very goods ones at that, they were & are breed for pig hunting, but can be just as good as a house dog as well, they are fantastic dogs.

Gina

Edited by RAH

Perhaps it was 'pig dog'? Not Bull Arab.

bull arabs are pig dogs & very goods ones at that, they were & are breed for pig hunting, but can be just as good as a house dog as well, they are fantastic dogs.

Gina

No offense meant. Just trying to help in fishing for words.

The original post said 'restricted breed' -- which doesn't include bull arab, or, for that matter, pig dog. If it was a restricted breed with a two word name, almost has to be Presa Canario. There are five breeds restricted in Australia. APBT, Presa Carario, Fila Brasiliero, Japanese Tosa, and Dogo Argentino. The Presa Canario and APBT are the only ones known to exist in Australia . .. although the Presa Canario is very rare.

• 1 month later...