Can Cats And Humans Really Catch Bordetella (kennel Cough) From Dogs?

My new doggie from the pound has kennel cough.

I thought that both components of kennel cough were "canine" diseases - so I introduced my dog to my mother's 2 (very old) cats, and my dog stayed the day.. coughing in the loungeroom that the cats share, etc.

I've now done some more research on the net and have found articles (mostly american) that say that Bordetella bronchiseptica CAN be caught by cats (and humans).

Is this really true.. does it really happen? Have you ever known this to really happen? Should I panic and get the cats put on antibiotics and madly attempt to disinfect (which is a bit impossible - my mother has lacquered floorboards.. there is no way we could put bleach or strong disinfectant on them)..

I took my cats to the vets after they started making coughing noises following my dog having canine cough and I had seen articles like you mention. Several of the vets said that it wasn't possible for cats to get it though. :rolleyes: Just a strange coincidence I guess

Edited by Cat

Is this really true.. does it really happen? Have you ever known this to really happen? Should I panic and get the cats put on antibiotics and madly attempt to disinfect (which is a bit impossible - my mother has lacquered floorboards.. there is no way we could put bleach or strong disinfectant on them)..

Antibiotics are useless as a precautionary measure. Dogs with Kennel Cough only need antibiotics if they get a secondary infection, not just for regular kennel cough. Treat it like a cold, keep the dog warm, let them rest and plenty of fluids. That's all is it is, just the common doggy cold. Some dogs with poor immune systems or some deep chested dogs may go on to need AB's if they become sicker and their chest gets 'chesty'. If your vet automatically put your dog on drugs I would be questioning them about their reasoning.