Is It Okay To Feed Raw Pig Trotters?

Aubrey

Yes, raw pig trotters are ok, but I would avoid the smoked ones. Mine will get them occasionally as a treat. They take longer to demolish the bone than a lamb's neck, and the skin is tough so their teeth get a good cleaning & their jaws get a good work-out.

Dogs can handle a lot more bacteria than humans, so I don't worry about raw pork or chicken for the dogs but would never suggest feeding these to humans.

Yes, raw pig trotters are ok, but I would avoid the smoked ones. Mine will get them occasionally as a treat. They take longer to demolish the bone than a lamb's neck, and the skin is tough so their teeth get a good cleaning & their jaws get a good work-out.

Dogs can handle a lot more bacteria than humans, so I don't worry about raw pork or chicken for the dogs but would never suggest feeding these to humans.

Same here, they one every three weeks or so and I replace their meal with it, dogs love it :laugh:

Guest Clover

Mine get them as well, well used to until Masterchef made them the 'in thing' and they are too expensive now :laugh:.

Thanks for the responses guys. I gave the trotters to them and Thomas was having a go at his but Aubrey just buried hers..I then checked this thread again and freaked out so took Thomas' away from him. We retrieved Aubrey's this morn...

Prob would have been okay as a 1 off treat...

I haven't done trotters, but pork hocks are a HUGE favourite around here. Penny adored them and Kivi is very big on them as well. They have heaps of meat. We cut them in half and they do two meals. They are hard to come by for some reason, so I always buy at least two when I see them. :laugh: I would try trotters if I saw them.

I fed mine raw pig trotters for the first time only a couple of weeks ago and the dogs loved them. I don't think they were very fatty at all. It took ages for the dogs to eat them and they really enjoyed them, they had no problems later. I will definitely feed them again :laugh:

just a word of warning though, make sure that your dog doesnt bury it to eat later. unknown to me my dog did this and came down with severe food poisoning, he was sick as a dog and it was awful.

Needless to say i havent fed trotters of any pork bones since.

Great food for the "big chewing" dogs - they can't swallow the things whole. (LMAO at the image of a sword swollower)

I've not found them to be particularly fatty, my precious princess with the silly tummy never had problem with them but got sick after eating mutton flaps without fail. (Yes, I did stop giving them to her :rofl: )

Hi There

I just went shopping and came across some raw pig trotters - are these okay to feed to dogs? Just thought that I should check first as I've never fed them before.

Thanks

They're fine, fed them for many many years without any issues, people have been feeding them to their dogs for 100+ years.

As with any food not all dogs agree with them, so you'll need to form your own opinion.