Finnish Lapphund

Troy

I really like them, there is one that does agility trials called Banjo who is lovely. A friend came along to the trial on the weekend who has been looking at different breeds and I showed her Banjo who she really loved, so I was asking for her - if I ever decided to get something different to a Brittany I reckon my arm could be twisted though LOL. If she does get one then I will have a defacto Lappie though as we walk our dogs together every week.

ETA, thanks for the info Lappiemum

Edited by helen

Offtopic; but you know your a DOL addict when you recognise those dogs from here, both Finnish and not.

not true - even if I was not a DOL person I reckon I'd be able to spot a lappie!!! LOL :)

I do believe she meant that she recognized Zero, Jedi, Ahsoka etc in the lappie picnic video.

Generally they blow their coat twice a year. Kivi is, I think, just about to do his second coat blow. The last one went for about a month. In between coat blows Kivi hardly sheds at all, and most of it gets caught up in his coat so it doesn't come out until I brush him.

Mmmm I still need to vacuum dog hair off the carpet at least once per week, but that could be my keeshond's doing!!! Haha!!!

But in saying that, the hair only sits ON the carpet and doesn't dig in... It's much easier to get off even with your hand. Clothes are the same - you're completely clear with one swipe of a sticky roller or a wet hand.

Edited by TerraNik

According to this month's National Dog magazine, they are do a breed feature next month which includes both Finnish and Swedish Lapphunds. I'm double checking at the moment, but if that are inlcuding lappies, keep an eye out for the magazine (if you don't get it already!).

According to this month's National Dog magazine, they are do a breed feature next month which includes both Finnish and Swedish Lapphunds. I'm double checking at the moment, but if that are inlcuding lappies, keep an eye out for the magazine (if you don't get it already!).

Yep, they are doing lappies. :confused:

Yep, they are doing lappies. :confused:

Yes - jsut spoke to them.... way grooveyness!

Guest belgian.blue
I really really want a Lappie :laugh:

I had that thought one day, tried to brush it away but then met three Lappies in one single hit and <picks her heart up off the floor>

I'm hooked line and sinker!

It happens to us all, belgian.blue! I met three when I was still thinking about what breed I wanted. It only took one to convince me. The other two were superfluous. :rofl:

I felt a bit superficial because my initial attraction was all about looks. They are so pretty! But then they have this gorgeous, easy-going nature as well. Kivi gets to trotting at my side when we go for a jog and he really turns heads, but then when people meet him they end up grinning from ear to ear. He's the kind of dog people imagine they want: calm, gentle, very friendly. He sidles up to complete strangers and leans his head against their thigh while they are walking. When they look down, he's looking up at them with his tongue out and they smile and say "Hello. Aren't you lovely?" He's been such a pleasure. And there's nothing more special for a human than a dog that loves cuddles. :rofl: I quite like serious, aloof dogs, but I have to admit that I LOVE snuggling with Kivi. It just ticks all my human needs boxes. :rofl:

Guest belgian.blue
It happens to us all, belgian.blue! I met three when I was still thinking about what breed I wanted. It only took one to convince me. The other two were superfluous. :D

I felt a bit superficial because my initial attraction was all about looks. They are so pretty! But then they have this gorgeous, easy-going nature as well. Kivi gets to trotting at my side when we go for a jog and he really turns heads, but then when people meet him they end up grinning from ear to ear. He's the kind of dog people imagine they want: calm, gentle, very friendly. He sidles up to complete strangers and leans his head against their thigh while they are walking. When they look down, he's looking up at them with his tongue out and they smile and say "Hello. Aren't you lovely?" He's been such a pleasure. And there's nothing more special for a human than a dog that loves cuddles. :mad I quite like serious, aloof dogs, but I have to admit that I LOVE snuggling with Kivi. It just ticks all my human needs boxes. :confused:

Aww that is sweet, felt like I was meeting Kivi and made me smile.

I'm pretty certain I want a male Lappie, and have heard from a few people that the girls are more outgoing, willing to do just about anything you throw at them and the boys, ie Boof is very happy to sit on the sidelines and watch?

How would you describe Kivi?

My Belgian is a snuggle pot , but in a slim line way :rofl:

I think it would largely depend on the personality of the dog rather than the sex. So if you want an outgoing or a shy dog, you're best off talking to the breeder about the personalities of the puppies.

But, for what it's worth - Ahsoka is very in-your-face outgoing. She's crazy and super excitable with a lot of drive. But she has a lot more 'go' than most lappies. She was super confident as a pup - nothing phased her, but she just went through a massive fear period so she was quite shy of some things for a little while (random objects like stainless steel bowls, agility jumps, etc. Never people-shy). She's just coming out of it now and she's super confident again.

It's true what Corvus said though! We were deciding between a Samoyed, a JS and a Lappie. We had met a JS... I wasn't overly keen. We'd met a Samoyed... again, not overly keen. We met two very young lapphunds (4-6 months old) and within 1 minute of knowing them we were SOLD. The two pups climbed into my lap simultaneously and proceeded to snuggle up against my chest! It was the most beautiful moment I had ever had with a dog! That afternoon we started contacting breeders... And now I get those gorgeous cuddles every day from Miss Soaks. :confused:

Definitely a sidelines boy. He certainly gets excited and silly, but for the most part he is very laid back and can often be found awaiting me in my study after he has his breakfast. While Erik is still hooning around the place licking bowls and trying to help me load the dishwasher, Kivi has taken up the coveted spot behind my desk chair (where he is right now) and is just quietly waiting for the day's work as companion dog to begin. :D Kivi is, I think, a particularly laid back Lapphund. He is not phased by much at all and just likes to be nearby. He has a pretty soft temperament and can be easily upset (he literally cried when one of my mum's cats hissed at him - she didn't even take a swipe!), but he is very resilient and like Ahsoka, recovers quickly. He is so sweet, I kid you not, OH at one point expressed concern that Kivi was mentally retarded because he was about a year old and we had still never seen him growl, or lift his lip, or even give a hard stare. :laugh: OH thinks the aggressive part of his brain is short circuited. :D He's just sunny, cotton candy Kivi. He is very touchy feely, but not quite velcro. When I spoon with him he moans happily, which is just too much happy juice for one girl to handle! :rofl:

Kivi has been pretty easy to train, but he's lazy and often when I ask for something like a down he's like "Really? But the ground is SO far away. How about I sit instead?" He wants things to be easy. When I train him I have to be careful to keep it very easy and lots of rewards or he'll lie on the ground and whine at me. I think that this is what happens when you have a very sweet and gentle dog. The boys seem to me to be more laid back and kind of less active, but they seem less sooky than Kivi. He's a mama's boy. :(

Definitely a sidelines boy. He certainly gets excited and silly, but for the most part he is very laid back and can often be found awaiting me in my study after he has his breakfast. While Erik is still hooning around the place licking bowls and trying to help me load the dishwasher, Kivi has taken up the coveted spot behind my desk chair (where he is right now) and is just quietly waiting for the day's work as companion dog to begin. :cry: Kivi is, I think, a particularly laid back Lapphund. He is not phased by much at all and just likes to be nearby. He has a pretty soft temperament and can be easily upset (he literally cried when one of my mum's cats hissed at him - she didn't even take a swipe!), but he is very resilient and like Ahsoka, recovers quickly. He is so sweet, I kid you not, OH at one point expressed concern that Kivi was mentally retarded because he was about a year old and we had still never seen him growl, or lift his lip, or even give a hard stare. :cry: OH thinks the aggressive part of his brain is short circuited. :cry: He's just sunny, cotton candy Kivi. He is very touchy feely, but not quite velcro. When I spoon with him he moans happily, which is just too much happy juice for one girl to handle! :cheer:

Kivi has been pretty easy to train, but he's lazy and often when I ask for something like a down he's like "Really? But the ground is SO far away. How about I sit instead?" He wants things to be easy. When I train him I have to be careful to keep it very easy and lots of rewards or he'll lie on the ground and whine at me. I think that this is what happens when you have a very sweet and gentle dog. The boys seem to me to be more laid back and kind of less active, but they seem less sooky than Kivi. He's a mama's boy. :cry:

I have a female "Jaana" and she is very much like Kivi except maybe abit more active. She always has to bring a toy inside and takes it upstairs to my youngest son. She loves carrying toys around and frequently gets socks, clothes and the cat toys.

She learns very quickly and at the age of 16 months we have pretty good recall.

Tasha is definately the more active of my two, has a lot more energy and is very much a go-go-go kind of girl - although having said that, she does love her cuddles and wakes up anyone who is still in bed in the morning with wet ear licks......! :laugh: Tasha is very, very smart, but she does have a softer temperament, being a girl, if that makes sense :)

Then there is the Boof, my big boy. He is definately more laid back, and a bit more of a lazy boy - he'd like to stroll over the agility equipment rather than take it at breakneck speed like his sister (he does, however, part take in morning zoomies very happily!). He has been more stubborn to train at times, but we now have an understanding - that is, Mum is Boss. Now all is good!LOL :o

Well,I finally got to meet a lappie puppy today :)

As posted previously I am contemplating a lappie as my next dog and a guy at obedience today had a trailer on and had a couple of puppies in there.One was a long coat german shepherd puppy and I couldn't believe my luck when the other was a little female lappie puppy whom he only picked up from airport yesterday.She was just georgeous and I got to have a pat(still in the trailer as she has not had next lot of vacs)

I am looking forward to being able to keep an eye on her over time as I had never met one before to make sure I am making the right choice with my next dog

If you want to meet a few lappies together we're often at the shows in Sydney.

Corvus who owns Kivi also goes to the beach down in Wollongong regularly, so you could possibly catch up with them. Once I'm on holz I plan on going too!