Finnish Lapphund

Troy

Well,I finally got to meet a lappie puppy today :eek:

As posted previously I am contemplating a lappie as my next dog and a guy at obedience today had a trailer on and had a couple of puppies in there.One was a long coat german shepherd puppy and I couldn't believe my luck when the other was a little female lappie puppy whom he only picked up from airport yesterday.She was just georgeous and I got to have a pat(still in the trailer as she has not had next lot of vacs)

I am looking forward to being able to keep an eye on her over time as I had never met one before to make sure I am making the right choice with my next dog

We may be in Sydney sometime at the end of the year too, if you want to meet a cream boy :(

Well my daughters and I got to meet Kivi (oh and Erik, Corvus and her OH :mad ) on the weekend, and he is beautiful!! Certainly has helped us to make the decision to get a Lappie! :) Thanks again Corvus!

My eldest daughter has had a history of being nervous around dogs, which is why we have been considering a lappie, well Kivi was the perfect antidote! He sat so beautifully calm for her to pat and when we said goodbye he let both the girls hug him :eek: . All the way home they were telling me how much they loved him!! That in itself was enough to make my OH declare the decision made! That and the pic I took on my phone. Whoot!!

kiviandkids.jpg

kivi2.jpg

Problem is if they get one (which I am working on!) they want to call it Fluffy :) !! I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. :D

Edited by ✽deelee

Problem is if they get one (which I am working on!) they want to call it Fluffy :) !! I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. :eek:

Oh dear :)

:mad

I know!! :D

I am having a hell of a time explaining exactly why I dont think Fluffy is a good name!

Problem is if they get one (which I am working on!) they want to call it Fluffy :) !! I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. :eek:

Oh dear :)

:mad

I know!! :D

I am having a hell of a time explaining exactly why I dont think Fluffy is a good name!

Because a dog with a name like that will have no dignity!!!! :p

Because a dog with a name like that will have no dignity!!!! :mad

"Whats dignity mum?" :D

Dont worry- I cant see OH agreeing to a name like that- he would kill me if he had to call out "here Fluffy..." in public. :eek:

When it happens I'm sure we can come up with something that will maintain everyone's dignity and keep the kids happy! All else fails- the dog already has a name - right? :)

Because a dog with a name like that will have no dignity!!!! :D

"Whats dignity mum?" :)

Dont worry- I cant see OH agreeing to a name like that- he would kill me if he had to call out "here Fluffy..." in public. :eek:

When it happens I'm sure we can come up with something that will maintain everyone's dignity and keep the kids happy! All else fails- the dog already has a name - right? :)

:mad Good luck!! I'm sure you will come up with something everyone will love. Even "Teddy" is better... It implies fluffy and cuddliness... but is not so undignified!

Because a dog with a name like that will have no dignity!!!! :eek:

"Whats dignity mum?" :p

Dont worry- I cant see OH agreeing to a name like that- he would kill me if he had to call out "here Fluffy..." in public. :rofl:

When it happens I'm sure we can come up with something that will maintain everyone's dignity and keep the kids happy! All else fails- the dog already has a name - right? ;)

:rofl: Good luck!! I'm sure you will come up with something everyone will love. Even "Teddy" is better... It implies fluffy and cuddliness... but is not so undignified!

Or you could do Bear... like we did! LOL

Of course, we are always happy to share Kivi around a little. :rofl: I am really glad that the girls liked him so much. I have really felt like a Lappie would be a great choice for you guys. Kivi is always happy to have strangers give him a cuddle, and most Lappies I've met have been the same. I love how easy he is. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I have been quietly wanting a lappie for awhile, stalking the breed sub-forum thread, reading this one thoroughly, checking out breeders and as much info as I can garner and now I feel brave enough to ask some questions on here...

My main questions:

1. I live in Central QLD which can get quite hot. We can get up to 40degrees here in the middle of summer (just like everywhere I guess). I would be happy to provide an airconditioned area for the dog to access even when I'm not home, we have clam shell pools, shady cement areas and good breeze usually. Would this be okay for a lappie? If not, that pretty much rules me out of getting one :) I would say we have a similar climate to Brisbane, honestly we don't get much hotter than there, sometimes Brisbane is even hotter.

2. I have a lovely <2year old bull terrier already, he is a male and entire, but absolutely gets along fine with any female dog of any size and especially loves puppies. He can be funny with male, entire dogs that are larger than him, but only at first. We are also working very hard on this small bit of dominance that he has, ie. I am booked in to see Steve at K9 Force in December to fix some drive / dominance issues (and owner issues :hug: ), we have been doing lots of obedience training to which he has responded wonderfully, and we got the suprelorin implant to see if that will dampen him down too :eek: Do lappies get along well with other dogs? I would like a bitch, I would get her desexed quick smart. No showing or breeding.

3. Ideally I want first and foremost a pet! I love Atlas but he is my partner's dog and due to some cruciate ligament issues I cannot do the stuff I want to do with dogs. I want to do agility mostly, but would also love to do obedience showing. Not sure if Atlas will ever be good enough for that :) Would a lappie be suitable for this? I read previously in the thread that they are but would love to hear personal agility experiences if possible!

Thanks everyone!

Hi Francq-

You have great taste!! ;) LOL Answers to your questions are below!

1. I live in Central QLD which can get quite hot. We can get up to 40degrees here in the middle of summer (just like everywhere I guess). I would be happy to provide an airconditioned area for the dog to access even when I'm not home, we have clam shell pools, shady cement areas and good breeze usually. Would this be okay for a lappie? If not, that pretty much rules me out of getting one :) I would say we have a similar climate to Brisbane, honestly we don't get much hotter than there, sometimes Brisbane is even hotter.

Lappies actually take the heat quite well. I am in Melbourne, and it gets pretty hot down here in summer - during the heat wave last year of 45degree plus days, my lappies did better than we did!! We don't have any airconditioning either (just an evaporative cooler) and although we've had 35degree this week, both of mine are still bright as buttons (little buggers!). I lived in Townsville for 15 + years, and before that grew up in Brisbane so I know what the heat up there is like. As long as you don't walk your lappie in the heat of the day (which is the same as for any breed of dog!) and make sure that he/she has plenty of water, you will be fine. Don't forget that the spitzes have an insulated coats, so it actually works to help them stay both warm in winter and cool and summer. And you may be surprised, but it can get very hot in their homeland too!

2. I have a lovely <2year old bull terrier already, he is a male and entire, but absolutely gets along fine with any female dog of any size and especially loves puppies. He can be funny with male, entire dogs that are larger than him, but only at first. We are also working very hard on this small bit of dominance that he has, ie. I am booked in to see Steve at K9 Force in December to fix some drive / dominance issues (and owner issues :hug: ), we have been doing lots of obedience training to which he has responded wonderfully, and we got the suprelorin implant to see if that will dampen him down too :eek: Do lappies get along well with other dogs? I would like a bitch, I would get her desexed quick smart. No showing or breeding.

A well adjusted lappie loves other dogs. The official finnish guide to the breed standard says that they should be in harmony with their environment, including other animals. To give you and idea, we take our two to DOL events at Kepala, and last weekend they were running with around 20 other dogs - from little maltese to rotties - in the large grassy run. Not one scuffle (check out the pics on the Kepala thread). You will have to work on your bull terrior in terms of introducing a new puppy, but that will have to happen regardless of breed. In your situation, I would advise a female, and unless you are planning to show/breed, de-sexing is always the best option.

3. Ideally I want first and foremost a pet! I love Atlas but he is my partner's dog and due to some cruciate ligament issues I cannot do the stuff I want to do with dogs. I want to do agility mostly, but would also love to do obedience showing. Not sure if Atlas will ever be good enough for that :) Would a lappie be suitable for this? I read previously in the thread that they are but would love to hear personal agility experiences if possible!

Lappies are excellent for agility and obedience - and ofcourse, you can do all that with a de-sexed dog. My girl went through the agility tunnel on her second go when we first introduced her to the equipment at 6 months of age, and is completely fearless about it all. She's also very speedy, which is what you need for trialling! My boy, on the otherhand, is very laid back - he will do the equipment, but at a far more leisurely pace.....not good for a trial! He, however, does very well at obedience - and his fav position is down....! Both have one a few club ribbons, but as our old club didn't do trialling (and I've been in the show ring) we haven't done much else - although that will change next year when we change clubs. Lappies are naturally very intellegent and want to please you - a great combination for training. I have trained a few breeds in obedience, but by far lappies is my favourite - very easy!

Thanks everyone!

Your welcome :( There is a special on lappies coming out in this month's national dog magazine (although we are sharing the limelight with some of our other spitz cousins!) - make sure that you check that out. And if you have any questions just as - you can PM me if you want and I can help out with whatever you need to know!

:)

A well adjusted lappie loves other dogs. The official finnish guide to the breed standard says that they should be in harmony with their environment, including other animals. To give you and idea, we take our two to DOL events at Kepala, and last weekend they were running with around 20 other dogs - from little maltese to rotties - in the large grassy run. Not one scuffle (check out the pics on the Kepala thread). You will have to work on your bull terrior in terms of introducing a new puppy, but that will have to happen regardless of breed. In your situation, I would advise a female, and unless you are planning to show/breed, de-sexing is always the best option.

Yep, that is the plan, definitely getting a female and will definitely desex. No plans to show or breed, just want a pet and a dog for agility and obedience trials :D

Lappies are excellent for agility and obedience - and ofcourse, you can do all that with a de-sexed dog. My girl went through the agility tunnel on her second go when we first introduced her to the equipment at 6 months of age, and is completely fearless about it all. She's also very speedy, which is what you need for trialling! My boy, on the otherhand, is very laid back - he will do the equipment, but at a far more leisurely pace.....not good for a trial! He, however, does very well at obedience - and his fav position is down....! Both have one a few club ribbons, but as our old club didn't do trialling (and I've been in the show ring) we haven't done much else - although that will change next year when we change clubs. Lappies are naturally very intellegent and want to please you - a great combination for training. I have trained a few breeds in obedience, but by far lappies is my favourite - very easy!

:( That is so great! I think this will be awesome for my fitness as well :D I longingly watch the agility guys at my obedience club wishing I could join in! Poor Atlas and his gammy back leg! (he doesn't limp on it but no way am I risking a re-injury) A dog that's easy to train?!?! *falls over in a dead faint* That will come as a complete shock to me! I reckon now that I've trained a stubborn, independent bull terrier I can train (to basic level) any dog ;)

Your welcome :) There is a special on lappies coming out in this month's national dog magazine (although we are sharing the limelight with some of our other spitz cousins!) - make sure that you check that out. And if you have any questions just as - you can PM me if you want and I can help out with whatever you need to know!

Oooooooh, is National Dog available at most newsagents or online only?

THANKS LAPPIEMUM :hug::):):eek::)

That is all such positive information, I was worried you'd be like "DEFINITELY NOT THE RIGHT DOG FOR YOU" hehehe.

Now to research breeders! Any tips?

I'm a bit dubious about air conditioning in general. I think it's good that animals in warm climates acclimatise to the actual climate rather than an artificial one. Kivi is definitely finding it harder at the start of the season than he did in the height of summer last year. Although he currently has a coat full of dead hair, which probably doesn't help him. Kivi doesn't mind ambient heat much, but definitely feels direct heat in the summer. As long as he's got shade he's fine.

You know, whenever I take Kivi for a walk along the rocky shores of the rivers around here, he starts doing these stunning precision leaps between boulders and easily leaps onto walls or boulders that are a good 1.5m high. Suddenly my lumbering bear of a dog that doesn't even think to jump over things has turned into a gazelle! Kivi is about the mellowest, most un-drivey that Lapphunds get, but nonetheless, I think I could persuade him to do agility. A nice drivey girl would like it better, though. :hug:

As for other dogs.... Kivi lives for canine greetings. By far his favourite thing in the world is other dogs. He's NEVER started anything and never retaliated when he's been snarked at. He's a great dog park dog and basically views every dog as a potential best friend for him. When he goes to stay with my parents, they don't even walk their three dogs when he is there, because he spends every waking moment playing with them. :) He is incredibly friendly to the point where I have to watch him or he'll be sticking his nose in where it's not wanted again and again just on the off chance that if he approaches a little slower this time the dog will let him touch noses.

Omg I am excited all this is such good news! I WANT ONE RIGHT NOW :)

Coincidentally, a breeder called Watersedge at the Gold Coast will have puppies ready to go on the 20th of December.. which is when I will be in the area... on my way back from seeing Steve... NO FRAN, TOO SOON, STOP HAVING IMPOSSIBLE DREAMS! I am sure the puppies are already pre-sold anyway BAD FRAN STOP GETTING YOUR HOPES UP it is a huge coincidence though...

Atlas is totally 100% fine with girl dogs, puppies and any male dog that is smaller than him. He just has small man syndrome with other male entire dogs where he tries to hump them or jump up on them, which will get him into trouble :hug: He loves doggie plays and running around with other dogs.

Oh and re the air con dubiousness.... is that a word? Anyway, re that, no complaints here I would much rather get my puppy acclimatised to the heat and use air con for really, really hot days. There is plenty of shade on our block, big cement shady cool area under the house, verandas, trees, anything you can name they can hang there :)

Sounds good, Fran. :)

Watersedge's current litter have the same dad as Kivi. ;) It'd be cool to go and visit them anyway. Watersedge has some very pretty colours! I'm not sure, but I think Aku is at Watersedge at the moment. He is Kivi's grandfather, and the one that convinced me I needed a Lapphund. That dog has methods for getting you to keep scratching and stroking him. Really effective methods. :laugh:

Maybe I should drop in on my way back (if it's a reasonable hour!)! I have received a lovely email from the Watersedge people, which was really positive and ticked all my boxes (so far) for ethical breeding. Getting way too excited, oh dear, I am a TERRIBLE wait-er!

Maybe I should drop in on my way back (if it's a reasonable hour!)! I have received a lovely email from the Watersedge people, which was really positive and ticked all my boxes (so far) for ethical breeding. Getting way too excited, oh dear, I am a TERRIBLE wait-er!

Absolutley no worries - always very happy to help where ever!

I would say def go and see Melissa at Watersedge - even if you decide not to get a puppy this time around, you should see lappies in the flesh. Melissa is lovely, and most happy to have people come and see her lappies - just arrange a time with her and you will be welcome, I am sure.

Mind you, once you have had a lappie cuddle, that's it - you're GONE!!

(Ugh - my OH is behind me making sooky noises at Tasha - who ofcourse is scoring a cuddle and a smooch! :laugh: )