Finnish Lapphund

Troy

Guest belgian.blue
The National Dog magazine's spitz special liftout is now available online which (amongst other breeds) showcases Finnish Lapphunds. To access it go to http://nationaldog.com.au/2009/2009-nov/br...x011rlei001.pdf

Damn my PC has a thing against PDF files.

Actually I can email it to my work address and do some printing on the side at work .. Brillant!

The National Dog magazine's spitz special liftout is now available online which (amongst other breeds) showcases Finnish Lapphunds. To access it go to http://nationaldog.com.au/2009/2009-nov/br...x011rlei001.pdf

That's just one page of pictures of Samoyeds. They don't have the full feature on their website.

Sorry - you are correct. To read the issue online you would need to register (which is free) at http://server14a.pressmart.net/nationaldog/ - access if granted once your registration has gone through.

Flick through the e-book pages and the spitz special is at the end.

• 4 months later...

My breeder pronounces it "LAPP-hoond" but not quite as "oo" as that... sort of a cross between "oo" and "uh" I suppose. And the 'h' is very soft. That didn't help at all did it ;)

Not sure about cheekiness compared to huskies but I think Luuka is quite cheeky, but not in a naughty way, in a funny / clever way!

So can anyone explain the difference between a Swedish and a Finnish Lapphoond

Swedes temperament-wise are more like kelpies. They have higher levels of drive and their off-switch isn't as easily accessible :laugh: They don't come in the multitude of colours that flappies do - usually black with or without a little white. They can also come in a dark brown but that's pretty rare I think. We only have blacks here.

They are slightly shorter than flappies (very slightly - only a cm).

I assume you're not interested in the little changes in conformation between the two breeds?

Another big difference here is that we only have one kennel breeding slappies at the moment and there are only a handful in the country.

Edited by TerraNik

So can anyone explain the difference between a Swedish and a Finnish Lapphoond

The way it was explained to me was that Swedish lappies are more high drive and go go go all the time whereas the Finnish Lappies have an off button and are more laid back. There are also differences in their conformation but I'm sure someone who knows more about both breeds can give you more information!

If you want to know what the differences are from someone who lives with both breeds, get in contact with Wayne and Sue from Janoby kennels - they have both breeds. I was lucky enough to meet their swedish lappies last year at the royal and they're beautiful but quite different to finnish lappies.

ETA: Snap Nik!

Edited by ~*Shell*~

My breeder pronounces it "LAPP-hoond" but not quite as "oo" as that... sort of a cross between "oo" and "uh" I suppose. And the 'h' is very soft. That didn't help at all did it :laugh:

Not sure about cheekiness compared to huskies but I think Luuka is quite cheeky, but not in a naughty way, in a funny / clever way!

I pronounce it the same as well. Mostly becuase it I once did German in school and Hund is the German word for dog so I just assumed it was the same in Finnish.

My breeder pronounces it "LAPP-hoond" but not quite as "oo" as that... sort of a cross between "oo" and "uh" I suppose. And the 'h' is very soft. That didn't help at all did it :laugh:

I pronounce it the same as well. Mostly becuase it I once did German in school and Hund is the German word for dog so I just assumed it was the same in Finnish.

Yep :thumbsup:

I only said "my breeder" because if it wasn't for her I'd have no clue how to pronounce it either so don't worry Esky :thumbsup: I feel like when I say it I almost "drop" the 'h' a little bit. My ex used to call Luuka a "lappin' dog" and suggested we take her "lappin'" as that was clearly her natural habitat :thumbsup:

Sorry that's a bit :laugh: Bottom line though Esky, lappies rule. Luuka's cleverness and ability to pick up new things blows my mind constantly. And her pigginess. She would eat until she passed out I reckon!

Edited by FranCQ

Do lappies talk (woo woo) like huskies do?

Yes! :thumbsup: although to varying degrees. My girl does most of the talking in our house, usually when we come home from work (she tells us off for going out without her). My boy will do it too, although he is more quiet all round (unless there happens to be a knock at the door!). On the other hand, he does like to impersonate a wolf occassionally.....! :rofl:

Echo does not woo woo.

When she was smaller she used to give a little howl at you when you first got up in the morning as a greeting but does not do that anymore. The only time she makes noise npw is to bark at the house perimeter keeping out all the evil things.

Ahsoka howls more often than woos but the howl often turns into a woo... She does woo sometimes though, it's just not her favourite vocal thing to do. She is very vocal with whining and other noises, too particularly to let you know that things aren't active enough for her! :grouphug: She's certainly not a quiet lappie.

Her sister, Jaana is VERY vocal as well and her owner said that she woos. Must be genetic :grouphug: