Finnish Lapphund

Troy

Thanks Lappiemum, I have been bitten by the lappie bug (and I haven't even seen a lappie in real life) and it's getting very itchy.

Yes I found the Spitz thread the other night, and have been slowly going through the posts.

Marion01

Be very careful....if you see one in the flesh that itch is going to get one heck of a lot worse :o I did that and that was the end of me and now I am owned by my adorable lappie puppy Ella and couldn't be happier. I fall more in love with her every day... she has the most wonderful temperament :laugh:

They have sooooo much personality - but that's probably a biased viewpoint LOL!

Thanks Lappiemum, I have been bitten by the lappie bug (and I haven't even seen a lappie in real life) and it's getting very itchy.

Yes I found the Spitz thread the other night, and have been slowly going through the posts.

Marion01

Be very careful....if you see one in the flesh that itch is going to get one heck of a lot worse ;) I did that and that was the end of me and now I am owned by my adorable lappie puppy Ella and couldn't be happier. I fall more in love with her every day... she has the most wonderful temperament :rofl:

They have sooooo much personality - but that's probably a biased viewpoint LOL!

No, I don't think it's biased. I'm not owned by a Lappie, but I agree that they have so much personality after meeting Ella and Jaana. That said, Akira has a lot of personality too, so maybe it's a Spitz thing in general.

Yes Tobster I can see the itch getting very bad, but I have to wait 12 months or so as I have blind TT oldies that I don't want to upset by bringing an exhuberant pup into their world.

Love dogs with heaps of personality, lappiemum and whiskedaway, am so looking forward to meeting one in the flesh, don't know if that will be a bad thing or a good thing though. :rofl:

Marion01

Well I've had Vienna about a month now and I couldn't be happier. She has found her place amongst the Cavaliers and is a joy! I wasn't going to add a Lappie until my eldest girl died but when I started looking and came across the litter I was smitten :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, newbie here and hopefully i have put this in the right thread.

My wife and I are looking to getting a dog hopefully within the next 6 months and have narrowed it down to a couple of breeds, one of which is the Finnish Lapphund.

We just have a couple of question.

I love the look of their coat, from what i have read it doesn't take much to look after, but does it shed much?

Do they like the water, and would go for a swim?

when should one take a puppy to get trained?

Is there anyone/breeder in the sydney/newcastle region where i could see one?

Hom much food do they eat in week?

how much roughly is the price of a female lappie?

Thanks for all your time and look forward to hearing your answers

Cheers

Mike and Jane

Edited by Terryible

Welcome to the forum Terryible :rofl:

Lappies are a great breed - and you have come to the right place to ask questions :p

In response to your questions:

I love the look of their coat, from what i have read it doesn't take much to look after, but does it shed much?

Males tend to have more of a coat than females, but this can and will vary with individuals ;) They will moult once or twice a year, in between these times you would probably not see much hair but when they blow coat, you do know about it. One of the things you can do when your Lappie is moulting is to wash and then either blow the coat out yourself with a dryer or get a groomer to do this.

Generally you would look at doing puppy preschool, and then after that you can do obedience etc as per what is allowed by your local clubs. Personally, I would not do any agility training until your puppy is at least 12 months old (or a bit older).

There are a number of people and breeders in NSW. If you pop over to the spitz thread you will find a few there :( You can contact Miavig and Ausvarg as they currently have litters in NSW.

LOL How long is a piece of string? Don't be tempted to overfeed them, but they should eat no more than any other medium sized breed. It may depend on just what you are feeding them, their age and weight ofcourse - your breeder will be able to advise you on this.

The same price as a male Lappie LOL :shrug: Generally, a Lappie will be priced between $1500 and $2000. Price may vary if your puppy is from an imported line or semen.

No worries :cry: - come and see us in the Spitz thread! And if you have any questions in the meantime you can pm me :laugh:

:laugh:

Welcome to the forum Terryible :o

Lappies are a great breed - and you have come to the right place to ask questions :eek:

In response to your questions:

Males tend to have more of a coat than females, but this can and will vary with individuals :D They will moult once or twice a year, in between these times you would probably not see much hair but when they blow coat, you do know about it. One of the things you can do when your Lappie is moulting is to wash and then either blow the coat out yourself with a dryer or get a groomer to do this.

Generally you would look at doing puppy preschool, and then after that you can do obedience etc as per what is allowed by your local clubs. Personally, I would not do any agility training until your puppy is at least 12 months old (or a bit older).

There are a number of people and breeders in NSW. If you pop over to the spitz thread you will find a few there :D You can contact Miavig and Ausvarg as they currently have litters in NSW.

LOL How long is a piece of string? Don't be tempted to overfeed them, but they should eat no more than any other medium sized breed. It may depend on just what you are feeding them, their age and weight ofcourse - your breeder will be able to advise you on this.

The same price as a male Lappie LOL :rofl: Generally, a Lappie will be priced between $1500 and $2000. Price may vary if your puppy is from an imported line or semen.

No worries ;) - come and see us in the Spitz thread! And if you have any questions in the meantime you can pm me :(

:rofl:

Thanks for your reply lappiemum, the people in this forum are very helpful

Depending on how far from the Gold Coast you are Terryible, Watersedge Kennels have some absolutely BEAUTIFUL pups for sale at the moment, the lady who runs it is just wonderful. That's where I got my Luuka from and I could not be happier!

Depending on how far from the Gold Coast you are Terryible, Watersedge Kennels have some absolutely BEAUTIFUL pups for sale at the moment, the lady who runs it is just wonderful. That's where I got my Luuka from and I could not be happier!

Yes that's where my baby Vienna is from :confused: How cute is she?! I am very happy with her.

step.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Someone referred me to this thread in my intro post and I'm glad they did. I have a bit of reading ahead of me to learn more about this wonderful breed. In the meantime, before we get our pup, it is time for research and watching them being shown, while our little Havanese girl is way down the other end of the rings(could have chosen a closer breed).

Someone referred me to this thread in my intro post and I'm glad they did. I have a bit of reading ahead of me to learn more about this wonderful breed. In the meantime, before we get our pup, it is time for research and watching them being shown, while our little Havanese girl is way down the other end of the rings(could have chosen a closer breed).

Welcome to the thread & DOL UpSpitzCreek - if you come and hang out in the spitz thread you will meet lots of Lappie owners (and a few breeders!) in there - we love meeting new Lappie breed fans, and if you want to see pics we do try to make sure that there are plenty that go up! (can't let the Sammi people out-do us!) LOL

Thanks again FranCQ.

I think the thing that really attracts us to the Lappie is that they are a working dog with a lower drive, i.e they are happy to come for a run and just as happy on the lounge. Love the photos too! I am a fan of the dark brown and tan colouring (hope this is an accurate description).

Thanks again FranCQ.

I think the thing that really attracts us to the Lappie is that they are a working dog with a lower drive, i.e they are happy to come for a run and just as happy on the lounge. Love the photos too! I am a fan of the dark brown and tan colouring (hope this is an accurate description).

I wouldn't say that they have 'lower drive'... They just have a good off-switch and aren't typically obsessive compulsive like other working breeds. I've met (and live with) Lappies who have drive levels that rival some border collies and kelpies. How much drive a Lappie has depends on the individual dog and is highly influenced by the dog's lines. If you are after a low drive Lappie, it is best to research the lines and of course speak to your breeder about the temperament you prefer.

Lappies do vary within the 'typical' temperament as described in the standard - they are not as continously full on as some other working breeds which i have had, but there are definately some individuals which are more active than others (and some would like to be permanent couch potatos!LOL). If you discuss with your breeder what you are looking for, they will do their best to match your preferences to the right personality. Colour is always attractive, but IMO temperament is by far the most important thing to consider if you are looking for a pet Lappie :thumbsup:

I'm about to start showing my Lappie bub and the Cavaliers :)

Lappies do vary within the 'typical' temperament as described in the standard - they are not as continously full on as some other working breeds which i have had, but there are definately some individuals which are more active than others (and some would like to be permanent couch potatos!LOL).

Perhaps because the breed standard is very vague ... and some could argue, even silent ... on the issue :)