Finnish Lapphund

Troy

I have to agree that while Demi is GENERALLY quiet for a pup get to dinner time and you really cant shut her up. And during play time she is quite happy to let the neighbourhood know what is going on. Although she is the quietest dog I have when I go out!!

I'm sure they bark but I haven't read any profile saying they are known for barking???

Shyla barks at strange noises or if she gets a fright, which is fine by me, and is vocal at dinner and play time which I would expect from most dogs :(

I just don't want a big nuisance barker who barks for the heck of it! So I thought lappies were ok *goes off and cries* LOL

I believe that they are very trainable to stop said barking (if they werent so darn cute and thus are allowed to continue with all their bad habbits- but I wont admit to that!) but I think we just wanted to know that they do like the sound of their own voice!!

Dont give up though- I am sure that with the time and effort that you put in that a Lappie would still work just wanted to let you know!! And I dont really find Lappie barking very annoying- but I do own four kelpies so I have learnt to turn off the noise so perhaps talk to people that dont have my amazing noise eliminating ability!! Personally the bark is not as loud, ear peircing and does not make water vibrate (all things that kelpies can do when the bark) and I think it is easier to train as they are not SO focused on getting any attention ie distraction would work whereas for a Kelpie (and I believe GSD) it would be seen as a reward to continue barking!

They don't bark 'for the sake of it', but they are very vocal at other things... They were bred to bark while they were herding so of course anything that resembles herding you're going to get vocalisation from a typical lappie. Ahsoka is NOISY when she's playing - she barks, whines, makes screaming banshee noises... It was worse as a puppy and we have done a lot of training with her to quieten her down a bit, but yeah. You need to be aware that it 'could' become a problem if you don't train it.

It also depends a bit on your dog. Tasha takes patrolling her backyard very seriously, and if there is an intruder (eg bird!) she lets us and the intruder know! But she never barks out of boredom, or for the fun of it - there is usually a reason (mind you, occassionally the reason is that Boof has her bone!). The way we deal with it is to acknowledge the thing that she is alerting us to, tell she is a good dog, and then tell her to come inside. We find that, generally, if we have seen it and said that's ok to be there, she is fine with it and will come away. (with the exception of the rat living in the back bush - she REALLY wants to get that rat - but thats our fault, because we taught them to hunt mice!).

We are always checking with the neighbours, and both sets are fine with the current noise level.... :) Generally speaking, they seem to spend most of the day napping while we are at work!

Boof, on the other hand, doesn't usually bark at birds in his yard - he has more of a live and let live policy! :laugh: However, if strange people come to the door that he doesn't know there is usually a good WOOF (scared the hell out of a guy selling subscriptions the other day! :laugh: LOL). Funnily enough, its only with adults - if we were to be burgled by kids I'm sure you wouldn't hear a peep from him.....!

What is comes down to is that Boof and Tasha have two different personalities - Tasha is more active, Boof more laid back. She loves racing and agility, Boof prefers the leisurely stroll and down stays are his fav command :)

So I wouldn't say Lappies are yappers, or that they are any noiser than any other dog that barks - just don't expect to have a silent breed!

It also depends a bit on your dog. Tasha takes patrolling her backyard very seriously, and if there is an intruder (eg bird!) she lets us and the intruder know! But she never barks out of boredom, or for the fun of it - there is usually a reason (mind you, occassionally the reason is that Boof has her bone!). The way we deal with it is to acknowledge the thing that she is alerting us to, tell she is a good dog, and then tell her to come inside. We find that, generally, if we have seen it and said that's ok to be there, she is fine with it and will come away. (with the exception of the rat living in the back bush - she REALLY wants to get that rat - but thats our fault, because we taught them to hunt mice!).

We are always checking with the neighbours, and both sets are fine with the current noise level.... ;) Generally speaking, they seem to spend most of the day napping while we are at work!

Boof, on the other hand, doesn't usually bark at birds in his yard - he has more of a live and let live policy! :champagne: However, if strange people come to the door that he doesn't know there is usually a good WOOF (scared the hell out of a guy selling subscriptions the other day! :thumbsup: LOL). Funnily enough, its only with adults - if we were to be burgled by kids I'm sure you wouldn't hear a peep from him.....!

What is comes down to is that Boof and Tasha have two different personalities - Tasha is more active, Boof more laid back. She loves racing and agility, Boof prefers the leisurely stroll and down stays are his fav command :champagne:

So I wouldn't say Lappies are yappers, or that they are any noiser than any other dog that barks - just don't expect to have a silent breed!

Yeah sounds normal to me!! Shyla only barks if something unusual disturbs her like a strange sound or a possum. When she gets set off (which isnt often) she barks quite a bit for a few minutes max (is that a long time, it feels like it when you wait for them to stop LOL) but if I go out there and tell her off she stops right away. Just wish there was a way to make her barking bouts a lil shorter like 5 yaps :)

Kivi has to be kept inside when we are out because he barks. :thumbsup:

But in his defence, there's a few good reasons why he hates our backyard. When he stays with my parents in a normal backyard where the door to the house opens onto the backyard, he's fine and makes very little noise. Usually lets the other dogs do the alerting. I find that he's harder to stop barking than Erik, because he wasn't very noisy as a puppy and I never taught him to stop making noise. He barks annoyingly when he is feeling in need of attention and is not getting any.

Otherwise, he doesn't make much noise. Compared to, say, Erik, who just spent the last 30 minutes barking at us because he wanted us to go and get his food for him. He has stopped for the moment, but he will start again before anyone gets the chance to give him his dinner.

Kivi has to be kept inside when we are out because he barks. :laugh:

But in his defence, there's a few good reasons why he hates our backyard. When he stays with my parents in a normal backyard where the door to the house opens onto the backyard, he's fine and makes very little noise. Usually lets the other dogs do the alerting. I find that he's harder to stop barking than Erik, because he wasn't very noisy as a puppy and I never taught him to stop making noise. He barks annoyingly when he is feeling in need of attention and is not getting any.

Otherwise, he doesn't make much noise. Compared to, say, Erik, who just spent the last 30 minutes barking at us because he wanted us to go and get his food for him. He has stopped for the moment, but he will start again before anyone gets the chance to give him his dinner.

Thanks corvus! I guess they are all different hey. Can't wait to get a lappie!!

My main worry in getting a pup is where to keep it when we go to work, I would have to keep it separated from Shyla initially til I know they get along, where did people keep their 2nd pup when in this situation? When do you know it's time to leave them just together?

My main worry in getting a pup is where to keep it when we go to work, I would have to keep it separated from Shyla initially til I know they get along, where did people keep their 2nd pup when in this situation? When do you know it's time to leave them just together?

Being a uni student I was able to stay home with them until I was comfortable. Initially Jedi was a bit rough with her with excitement but Ahsoka is a feisty one and had her wits about her! She worked out very quickly how to hold her own (and places to hide that Jedi was too big for!) :laugh: I believe it was the end of day 2 when I was comfortable having them together without supervision.

Whenever we get a new pup we take the first week off to spend with them anyway and gradually introduce them to being 'alone'.

Being a uni student I was able to stay home with them until I was comfortable. Initially Jedi was a bit rough with her with excitement but Ahsoka is a feisty one and had her wits about her! She worked out very quickly how to hold her own (and places to hide that Jedi was too big for!) :laugh: I believe it was the end of day 2 when I was comfortable having them together without supervision.

Whenever we get a new pup we take the first week off to spend with them anyway and gradually introduce them to being 'alone'.

Ok that doesn't sound too bad, thanks Nik!! I guess it's a watch and see how they go thing, if I had to separate I thought of putting pup in the kitchen area with a divider which leaves a small area, but then it would crack the poos every time Shyla would go out her dog door and would probably cry more :vomit:

It might be different coz Shyla is much taller than a 6 month old Keeshond! :laugh: But I imagine Shyla would probably be more mature mentally than Jedi was when we introduced Ahsoka. If I were introducing an ADULT into the house, it would be a different story but usually puppies settle into the house easily with the 'puppy license' the adults tend to give them!!

I still tend to crate Demi when I leave the house- partly because I dont think I would like to come back to the disaster zone (not that she has done TOO much damage c/w my Kelpies) but also because I dont want her doing zoomies with the Kelpies while she is still so much smaller than them.

There is a bit of sooking about being seperated (she was just in her play pen to begin with however fences do not stop this little fluffy bum) which is why I had to crate her instead. It is an XLarge so she has plenty of space. Mind you I have to lock all the doors top and bottom (normally only shut the top one with a Kelpie) as she has worked out that she can push the bottom/top of door open enough to get out if both are not locked. At least thats what I THINK she is doing as I keep coming home to find her loose in the house LOL!!

Is being an escape artist a Lappie trait- no one even mentioned it too me however Demi really is a houdini!!

Officially get my lappie girl on the 20th of December! About to start a blog for her, someone on here gave me the idea when Atlas had his accident as a way to remember him in case we lost him (which we nearly did).

Still need to name her I can't think of anything perfect, argh!

With Kivi I had him in a pen outside attached to his kennel as a puppy. With Erik I had him in the pen inside, but I've only just gone back to full-time work and Erik is 5 months. I've put Erik and Kivi together now as they do get on pretty well. With Kivi I put him with my older dog for a little while, but she wasn't keen and so I split them up again. I never reunited them and we put her to sleep when Kivi was about 16 months.